Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

If you use the linseed oil mix, and apply with a cloth, please ensure that you dispose of the cloth correctly. Don't bunch it up and throw into a drawer or cupboard.

Yes, would think this falls under the common sense umbrella.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would ask here as it is wood related: What can I use to treat my lapa wooden poles? Some have started to look rather bare (the coating seems to have gone, not sure how else to say it) at the bottom.

I know of Creosote but that stuff is pungent and not good for the skin. I have little children so don't want them touch or licking the poles with that stuff...lol

Do I need to sand them first (please say no) and then apply or can I just apply? Thanks

Exactly as V12Doc says. NEVER use varnish on wood. Always oil. Remember the wood was once a living organism and still has "stuff" living in it when you end up using it. Varnish locks in all those things and it eventually rots from the inside. The oil still allows it to breath and you know how water and oil react so it should never actually soak up the water. BUT when you have a pole submersed in the ground you obviously cant oil it so either soak it for a while and then place it in a concrete foundation to floor level or be prepared to replace after years of ants and water abuse.

I bought a 5 litre linseed oil from builders this week. It comes in 2 forms. RAW and ????(damn cant remember the name of the other one). The only difference I could see was the one was darker than the other. Think I paid about R200.

EDIT: The other one is called boiled linseed oil.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Exactly as V12Doc says. NEVER use varnish on wood. Always oil. Remember the wood was once a living organism and still has "stuff" living in it when you end up using it. Varnish locks in all those things and it eventually rots from the inside. The oil still allows it to breath and you know how water and oil react so it should never actually soak up the water. BUT when you have a pole submersed in the ground you obviously cant oil it so either soak it for a while and then place it in a concrete foundation to floor level or be prepared to replace after years of ants and water abuse.

I bought a 5 litre linseed oil from builders this week. It comes in 2 forms. RAW and ????(damn cant remember the name of the other one). The only difference I could see was the one was darker than the other. Think I paid about R200.

Ok right. The poles are faded at the bottom and we get a lot of ants around then poles that annoy me immensely with their piles of sand they extract. Can't Seem to get rid of them. 

So can I just use Linseed oil or mix it with Turps as V12Man suggested? What does the Turps Do?

Some seriously poor advice here.Oil is fine but does not provide the protection or longevity of a high quality sealer.As for this stuff that lives in it,not sure what these nunus are

Some seriously poor advice here.Oil is fine but does not provide the protection or longevity of a high quality sealer.As for this stuff that lives in it,not sure what these nunus are

If you have nothing possitive to add, why not rather keep quiet.

Edit: ot then at least fill us in what your opinion or experience is?

Edited by Ed-Zulu

If you have nothing possitive to add, why not rather keep quiet.

Edit: ot then at least fill us in what your opinion or experience is?

Why should I keep quiet?He is being given bad advice.My advice is very positive.Look at some of the more long lasting sealers rather than oil.

Why should I keep quiet?He is being given bad advice.My advice is very positive.Look at some of the more long lasting sealers rather than oil.

Which one then in your experience?

Seems to be a divide between the oil and Sealant. I am non the wiser as my wood knowledge is limited. Just want to revive the lapa poles without using the wrong stuff.

So what is a "high quality sealer" then?

Do yourself a test, Go buy 2 identical pieces of wood. Varnish the one and oil the other. Leave them outside next to each other. Re varnish the one once a year and re oil the other every 6 months. See what happens.

EDIT: The stuff living in the wood are micro organisms of some sort. I don't know the exact name of these things.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

So what is a "high quality sealer" then?

Do yourself a test, Go buy 2 identical pieces of wood. Varnish the one and oil the other. Leave them outside next to each other. Re varnish the one once a year and re oil the other every 6 months. See what happens.

EDIT: The stuff living in the wood are micro organisms of some sort. I don't know the exact name of these things.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/4d/4d9a926d108544676f7da132e4bae4a2601a480547e9be71664d0980a0051067.jpg

Which one then in your experience?

Woodoc worked for 10 years on my timber frame in Scarborough.Probably the harshest enviroment I know for timber.50 and 55 are good products.I consulted an expert on the product though and followed the preparation instructions to a tee

I'm going to weigh in with a very,very small contribution regarding the threatening bitchfight here ...

Only 1% of a tree (By mass OR volume) is alive at any point in time (the Cambium IIRC)

And if varnish was so crap, why do us professionals still use it?

Each and every type of timber treatment has its place and application - even steel wool and vinegar. 

To paraphrase the Beetles - "A closed mouth gathers no foot"

The only issue I have with varnish is the fact that it tends to develop small cracks, and the moisture penetrates under the cracks into the wood.  But you don't see the damage until the surface starts rotting.

For my outdoor wood I use Rubbol.

EDIT:  For my poles I still prefer Creosote though. I just tell the kids they will die a horrible death if they lick the poles.  :whistling:

Edited by Moridin