Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Stretch@ why don't you use lap-joints on the table brace X? I noticed you did the same on your previous build.

And Woodoc 50 Marine would be probably the best solution not to foul clothing

I just love woodoc marine. I use it on almost everything

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you okes are far too damn good for me, but I ain't intimidated!

post-1830-0-94811900-1482307956_thumb.jpg

I put this up on the kids thread, but here is my attempt at building a wooden bike for my son (couldn't find anything that fits him, hence the relaxed/cruiser geometry). did some searching on the web and just slapped this all together with off cuts from the garage. hardest thing was the headset - i got a bit fancy and used an old external BB set. wouldn't do that again.

This bike will go up on a wall soon (I need the wheels back), so will probably make some wooden wheels for show.

A pile of "reject" timber

3c5bd0ea5dd6b2fe279d683ae061938e.jpg

Was cut into components

d2f2854543ed43984e49950d200c3f68.jpg

To make a picnic table

7c7713c38bed0c30d79723b4117c1662.jpg

Now to treat it, any hub wisdom? I was going to spray it with 3 coats of Woodoc 50 (Marine), but not 100% sure that's the right solution?

5ffe1b1d607ba72bd9d1cb804505ee23.jpg

In situ, needs another coat or 2 of Woodoc, but with the crap weather, it's gotten wet all week... hopefully it's going to dry soon and I can sand and treat it again.

Wish we had some of that 'crap' weather. It is as dry as a tinderbox here. Seems the whole of the WC is ready to go up in smoke.

Well, me have been so lazy lately, and with the dry heat I ignored my garage come workshop like the plague.

Edited by Moridin

• 2 weeks later...

My mom has given me the below table that used to belong to my gran. Its solid kiaat and around 80 years old. I'm not sure what to do with it. Should i sand it down and give it a coat of oil or leave it as is? The other thought i had was selling it and getting something more modern. What would it be worth? its a 6 seater.

post-42431-0-65941600-1483611228_thumb.jpeg

Unfortunately I've come to realise that old furniture (20 years+) only has sentimental value.

A light sand and proper oiling will make it look rather new and spiffy and may raise the selling price a bit. I'd reckon you'd be lucky to get R2000 for it.

Unfortunately I've come to realise that old furniture (20 years+) only has sentimental value.

A light sand and proper oiling will make it look rather new and spiffy and may raise the selling price a bit. I'd reckon you'd be lucky to get R2000 for it.

Thanks Pants Boy. That's what I thought. So some elbow grease it is.

I was offered this table as a restoration project as it had been standing outside for about 8 years. Its a mix of Oregon pine and american pine, the table was estimated to be about 100 + years old and came off a farm in the Namaqualand.

Started out pretty rough as you can imagine. Stripped the table down to components and found the top had been chopped up and mixed up. Cleaned the original frame up and used some reclaimed Oregon flooring and recreated the in lay, its all tongue and groove and left "loose" for movement.

I'm now two coats in on polywax with wet sanding in between.

Been quite a holiday project :)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/e1913100d875cd2b96514543f7ffcc74.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/ba86695401262f8ad7cdfb588cff381c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/954444e0485e23f888962a047404a152.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/ceddb0997dcc5ec65c511eaf6209f682.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/881564482474c69bccef2d66af24619b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody want some free wood..

On Dekmar Rd, Wadeville. see they've started to cut it up into half meter segments

post-12682-0-46606000-1484840684_thumb.jpg 

Anybody want some free wood..

On Dekmar Rd, Wadeville. see they've started to cut it up into half meter segments

attachicon.gifIMG_20170117_162307.jpg

Eucalyptus?

How would you have planks cut out of the logs and how much would that cost?

Eucalyptus?

How would you have planks cut out of the logs and how much would that cost?

Generally eucalyptus should be processed when still wet - i.e. chop it down and process the wood straight away. When it gets too dry it is like cutting concrete.

My dad ran a tree felling business many years ago and he would not touch a dead or dry eucalyptus tree as it would destroy the chainsaw blade and chain pretty damn quick. 

So if you do get it processed - planked then it may cost a pretty penny...

As above - all true,

Sawmilling operations are always wet operations for a reason

1. Tool durability goes out the window on dry material (that specific tree in the picture is probably in excess of 50 years old and rock hard)

2. Drying needs to happen in plank form when placed in stacks so the results are consistent to the species.

Yes, you can process dry, but a blue gum tree is not worth the effort.

Collect the wood, chop for braai or pizza oven