Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems that hardware centre doesnt actually sell on their website so might have to wait a while until Im in either JHB or CT again.

that is so fuggin annoying!

that is so fuggin annoying!

It really sucks for me and anyone else who isnt in JHB or CT. I really think most stores are missing a great opportunity by not selling online. Most would have a courier service already and just need a system that interfaces with their existing stock management system.

Something along the lines of what CWC does.

It really sucks for me and anyone else who isnt in JHB or CT. I really think most stores are missing a great opportunity by not selling online. Most would have a courier service already and just need a system that interfaces with their existing stock management system.

I agree, but this is what I do and I did it just this morning regarding boat hardware;

Phone the shop and ask about stock availability, then ask if they can quote on X number of units with delivery by PostNet. It is a long-winded approach, but it works 90% of the time.

I've bought from Strand Hardware in that fashion before, so they are open to that.

Sorry for how messy it looks, needed to take pics for the father-in-law because he is bed locked for another 3 weeks. All construction outside finished, inside everything according to paraplegic specs, just one bolt tight. Still needs to be tiled on the inside.193cda292af1061385b829301a59c445.jpg913adb35876ff4316ade1ddfc29d0dcf.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Urgh Im totally filled with desire for these.

https://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/product/veritas-prairie-dog-pair-05g10-22/

Im thinking those two would be perfect on the drive side of my vise jaws.

Just make sure you drill the correct size holes if you want those.  They are 3/4" (19.05 mm).  My bench has 20 mm holes, so none on the USA / Canadian bench dogs will work on my bench.

EDIT:  Sorry, I see Veritas does supply 19.81 mm ones as well (for 20mm holes).  Lee Valley sells them.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=70682&cat=1,43838,70865&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?p=71185&cat=1,41637

Edited by carrera4s

Just make sure you drill the correct size holes if you want those.  They are 3/4" (19.05 mm).  My bench has 20 mm holes, so none on the USA / Canadian bench dogs will work on my bench.

initially, i drilled 19mm holes, but had to manually ream them larger to accomodate the spring on the dog. But it was still too damn tight. So drilled it out to 20mm and those dogs are working just fine. It's just a whiff on the loose side, but they are held securely and do not slip down, much less out. So yes 20mm holes do work with the canamerican dogs.

edit: when I make the new work bench top, i think i'll go with 19.5mm holes.

Edited by Capricorn

I'm pretty sure that a friendly hubber could quite easily pick up a set and drop em in an Aramex bag, although it adds to the costs, :-(

Sorry for how messy it looks, needed to take pics for the father-in-law because he is bed locked for another 3 weeks. All construction outside finished, inside everything according to paraplegic specs, just one bolt tight. Still needs to be tiled on the inside.193cda292af1061385b829301a59c445.jpg913adb35876ff4316ade1ddfc29d0dcf.jpg

Nice Work next project a covered area over the walkway?

You don't have to make any excuses for an old Fischer.......oh sorry, I misunderstood.......you were bragging that your gardener rides something so classy. ;) My riding buddy, Beattbox, has one that he's owned from new and once in a while he still whips my ass riding it.

:thumbup: True that.

initially, i drilled 19mm holes, but had to manually ream them larger to accomodate the spring on the dog. But it was still too damn tight. So drilled it out to 20mm and those dogs are working just fine. It's just a whiff on the loose side, but they are held securely and do not slip down, much less out. So yes 20mm holes do work with the canamerican dogs.

edit: when I make the new work bench top, i think i'll go with 19.5mm holes.

Which is why I purchased an Imperial drill set from Lee Valley a few years ago. With woodworking I prefer using Imperial.

Nice Work next project a covered area over the walkway?

No please, spare me[emoji6] Luckily I got the thumps up from my father-in-law with regards to the project so far. This is something totally new to me because other than managing the caravan park, for the last 17 years I have only been in the transport (or as many knows it as "tranestort") business.

Edited by BSG

Which is why I purchased an Imperial drill set from Lee Valley a few years ago. With woodworking I prefer using Imperial.

they ship to ZA? how was the service and cost?

Yes, so far all my Veritas tools came from Lee Valley. Their service is second to none. When I purchased my Shoulder Planes, one of the plane's were damaged in shipping. Mr Lee himself answered my e-mail ans shipped me the replacement part free of charge without requesting any photos for evidence.

Also, when I bought my spoke shave set, they supplied 2 of the same type. He shipped my the correct spoke shave without asking me to ship the duplicate back.

The cost, shipping included was slightly less than what Hardware Center asks at current shipping rates. A few years ago shipping were much cheaper than now.

I agree, but this is what I do and I did it just this morning regarding boat hardware;

Phone the shop and ask about stock availability, then ask if they can quote on X number of units with delivery by PostNet. It is a long-winded approach, but it works 90% of the time.

I've bought from Strand Hardware in that fashion before, so they are open to that.

I think I should try give them a shout and see what they say. Strand have now done exactly what I mentioned before and started selling directly from their site. I have bought a few odds and ends from them like that but mostly just get the stuff brought through when friends travel up from PE.