Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

So I finished my wifes woodwork project, and in the end it was really easy and fun, as my daughter helped all the way and loves it. She will be painting it over the weekend if the rain stays away.

Just did a rig for the holes and done.

Cost:

Shutterply R270

Grips R300/kg (this was 1kg)

T-Nuts R0.45 each (Gelmar)

Bolts R0.80 (Cosmo SIlverton)

Other bits and bobs

Only problem is after a few minutes it was just too easy. She still needs to learn the correct technique of not pulling her up on her arms, but we will get there.

So next project is to build an overhang.

Awesome! I've been wanting to do the same in my garage for a while.

May I ask where you got the grips?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! I've been wanting to do the same in my garage for a while.

May I ask where you got the grips?

My wife found a guy in PTA who cast them himself. He uses polyurethane. If you need some let me know, I have somebody who will be going back to CT on Wednesday next week. 

My wife found a guy in PTA who cast them himself. He uses polyurethane. If you need some let me know, I have somebody who will be going back to CT on Wednesday next week. 

Could you PM me the details please, I am Pretoria based and interested.

Thanks

Unroll your extension cord !!!

Prevents heat build up in chord when using a machine that draws a fair amount of power especially with today's thin chords. With heat the resistance increases in chord and your machine struggles to get the power it needs and you damage the machine not so much the lead.

Use as short a lead as possible. Make your own leads using 2.5 gauge wire and not the 1.5 junk most chords are made of. Electrician told me not to use weedeater chord with heavy duty machines just a bad idea.

With the cost of machines today it is not worth using the incorrect cheap chords.

Depends on the current drawn - for light duty stuff I don't bother uncoiling but don't go arc welding with the extension still on the spool. The issue is magnetism - the coiled up conductor will have significant reactance and at higher current drawn this will cause problems, heat and power factor if I remember correctly.

Generally its voltage drop over long conductors that are a problem, the thicker the conductor for a given current the less the voltage drop. For light duty stuff (drills, planners, jig saws) the motors wont be more that 1 kW which at 230V will draw say 5A over a 10m extension cord which typically has 1.5 mm sq conductors which will give a voltage drop of 1V which is 0.44% which is totally acceptable SANS 10142 which says 5% max

6.2.5.2 Once the current-carrying capacity has been determined, after all

correction factors had been considered, carry out the load power factor and

voltage drop calculations to determine whether the voltage drop will be within

the allowed 5 %.

Also when you talk gauge generally that refers to a Gauge number (American Wire Gauge - AWG), normally conductors are classified here by cross sectional area

awg.gif

Edited by kosmonooit

So I finished my wifes woodwork project, and in the end it was really easy and fun, as my daughter helped all the way and loves it. She will be painting it over the weekend if the rain stays away. 

Just did a rig for the holes and done. 

Cost:

Shutterply R270

Grips R300/kg (this was 1kg)

T-Nuts R0.45 each (Gelmar)

Bolts R0.80 (Cosmo SIlverton)

Other bits and bobs

Only problem is after a few minutes it was just too easy. She still needs to learn the correct technique of not pulling her up on her arms, but we will get there.

So next project is to build an overhang. 

Where did you buy the grips from?

Cool project indeed

Thanks!

If I start another project without finishing the 3 projects in limbo my wife might just walk away and leave me with the kids. (And that is just wood projects, not the bike builds, at least they get finished very quickly.)

If and when I get to this idea, I'll come and dig up this thread and pm you for his details. My in-laws live in pta, so I'll combine it with a visit.

So I see Triton is no longer supported in SA. For those seeing them as super good prices, it's because they are clearing stock.....

Yup that is the case, still I think its better value buying the belt sander that Im waiting for than buying say a Bosch green(which was more expensive)

Some of the stuff I think is ok to gamble on and others not so much.

Its sad though, I like Triton, its generally pretty good quality. The superjaws I have get used a whole lot for working outside on messy stuff.

Yup that is the case, still I think its better value buying the belt sander that Im waiting for than buying say a Bosch green(which was more expensive)

Some of the stuff I think is ok to gamble on and others not so much.

Its sad though, I like Triton, its generally pretty good quality. The superjaws I have get used a whole lot for working outside on messy stuff.

And speak of the devil!

This just arrived, keen to try out the gluebot too. Drill guide will be useful because I dont have a drill press.

post-4822-0-66542900-1542872105_thumb.jpg

TGIF, lads! (And ladies)

Just finished this little experiment. I seem to have gone from a sidetable phase into a chair phase.

<snip>

This is a very nice item and the two tones complement each other really nicely. Good job!

Hello lads and ladesses. 

A fun little project I got a week or two ago though, like everything, the last few hours get pretty frazzled. It was for an commercial, so there's an overseas director and crew and a couple of million R waiting if you screw up. And timing is always tight.

So too is budget. This can't even serve as a proper dog house because it's made from the cheapest commercial ply that wouldn't last a month outdoors. Anyway, it's now at a local prop house, so maybe it'll get more screen time in future.

I'm always surprised at just how much sheet material goes into a job like this. 

post-14151-0-43617000-1542880925_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-37564900-1542880934_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-26734800-1542880948_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-53330700-1542880984_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-20718300-1542880997_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-50061500-1542881016_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-10249200-1542881026_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-92685500-1542881035_thumb.jpg

Hello lads and ladesses. 

A fun little project I got a week or two ago though, like everything, the last few hours get pretty frazzled. It was for an commercial, so there's an overseas director and crew and a couple of million R waiting if you screw up. And timing is always tight.

So too is budget. This can't even serve as a proper dog house because it's made from the cheapest commercial ply that wouldn't last a month outdoors. Anyway, it's now at a local prop house, so maybe it'll get more screen time in future.

I'm always surprised at just how much sheet material goes into a job like this. 

Did you route the brickface pattern on the "walls"?

Did you route the brickface pattern on the "walls"?

I did. First getting the horizontal lines with a straight edge and a V-cutter, then going back to put in a few vertical lines with a home-made T-square.

post-14151-0-98629200-1542884377_thumb.jpg