Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Anyone know where I can get something like this in Gauteng? I don't even know what it's called, a drilling jig, perhaps? I don't need a hand drill press, I need this plunger sort of thing as I need to drill wall tiles and this will help with not cracking it.

ZpkSdYN.jpg

you need this

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/products/alpen-profi-multicut

drilled many a tile (incl porcelain) with no issues

slow and steady wins and DO NOT use the hammer action on your drill

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you need is a diamond-tipped ceramic drill bit, a lot of patience and some water to cool the drill bit as it bites into the tile. 

You can get the bits from any hardware store. 

Ditto for the special bits, they are clearly marked for this purpose. And don't put your drill on hammer mode! tiles will crack, no matter what the bit.

New toys news: I recently got a Makita plunge track saw, beautiful neat straight cuts every time, great investment. Been cutting a lot of tops and shelves.

Makita-Circular-Saw-SP6000J_grande.jpg

Interesting, thanks! I've always used small diamond core bits, hence the need for a plunger as they tend to wander and are a biatch to get started.

Those bit have sharp arrow like point so don't go wondering across the tile.

Interesting, thanks! I've always used small diamond core bits, hence the need for a plunger as they tend to wander and are a biatch to get started.

as I said, just take it slow and with lots of pressure to get going, once the tile is "dented" and you are sure the bit wont slip ease off the pressure and let the bit to the work. .

Ditto for the special bits, they are clearly marked for this purpose. And don't put your drill on hammer mode! tiles will crack, no matter what the bit.

New toys news: I recently got a Makita plunge track saw, beautiful neat straight cuts every time, great investment. Been cutting a lot of tops and shelves.

Makita-Circular-Saw-SP6000J_grande.jpg

been inclined to get one myself of late. have tracks with a track compatible circsaw, but continuously having to verify the blade is at the intended angle results in a lot of wasted time.

Thanks Hubbers

There is a lot of experience on Hubland.

You can start a prenatal forum too

Something about laaities!

On the 4D scan, one hand next to the face, and the other on his toolbox  :eek:

Best advice I got was from my GP (who I also cycle with)

A healthy baby needs 3 things;

1. Dirty floors
2. Dogs
3. Breast milk

Our daughter got all 3 and so far she is one of the healthiest kids in our antenatal group (we still get together once a month 2 years down the line to share war stories)

I had the misfortune of choosing porcelain tiles for all 3 of the bathrooms in one of my homes. And having to drill and fit the wall hardware afterwards. Here's a few tricks I picked up along the way:

1. Use a concrete nail and small hammer to gently chip/scratch the tile in the spot you plan to drill. An old hacksaw blade also works. You just need to get through the surface glazing, nothing major. This helps the drill bit bite and not wander.

2. Use a proper tile bit as mentioned above.

3. Use soapy water as cutting fluid, it sticks to the tile better and also helps collect the dust.

4. Don't apply too much pressure or overheat the bit. Take your time.

Edited by GrahamS2

What Buff said, on the masking tape.

I just used a good quality normal masonary bit (Alphen), tried all the rest, diamond, spear etc.

Just start with small bit and drill trough the tape, do not blow the dust away. Tip your bit in water frequently, so you form a paste with the dust, once you are into the glazing it goes quick.

basically create a drilling paste, keep your bit cool, and keep the paste wet worked best for me

had to do all the fittings in two bathrooms

Thanks for all the tips guys, much appreciated!

Most importantly, start off on normal rotary motion, 6mm's down, turn to hammer and bombs away...

I had an enquiry about fitting all the bathroom fittings - towel rails, toilet roll holders, shelving etc in 20 bathrooms, all with porcelain tiles. :eek:  I've never run so fast in all my life. 

Just the cost of the bits themselves would have been huge (they don't last)

Hi guys, so with 3 young kids now in the house (along with wanting to change the decor look), I have a few furniture items that I would like to sell. I was wondering how or where would be the best place to approach or advertise. I am based in Pretoria.

The items are a 3m Yellowwood sideboard (all yellowwood, 3 doors), a Yellowwood kist(all wood with no steel screws at all, not clean edged but rough look) as well as an Oak table measuring roughly 2m x 1m with fancy legwork. The table is being used to hold TV, PS4, etc but I need to wall mount something as the cables are a kid magnet!!!!!

I will be able to post pics a bit later, when I am home.

Or if anybody is keen here please PM me:)

Advice needed. I am rearranging my mancave/garage/workshop.I want to put all thingamajigs and bobs in old glass jars ( Jacobs coffee , if it makes any diff. ) I have had at least 10 cups of said stuff in the process of finding a practical ( meaning QUICK ) way of removing the flipping lables. Tried all ways recommended on Google ( just not mother's milk ). Any suggestions. I dont want to spend a whole weekend on these 30,or so , jars.