Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Advice needed. I am rearranging my mancave/garage/workshop.I want to put all thingamajigs and bobs in old glass jars ( Jacobs coffee , if it makes any diff. ) I have had at least 10 cups of said stuff in the process of finding a practical ( meaning QUICK ) way of removing the flipping lables. Tried all ways recommended on Google ( just not mother's milk ). Any suggestions. I dont want to spend a whole weekend on these 30,or so , jars.

Soak then in water to remove the paper. The glue is a b!tch though. I have heard Doom works well and have used "Preen" aerosol stain remover in the past with success. Thinners just spreads it.

Personally I am not a fan of glass bottles in a workshop. They make a mess when you drop them and you will... I would take a trip to the plastic shop and get some containers or plastic bottles.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Advice needed. I am rearranging my mancave/garage/workshop.I want to put all thingamajigs and bobs in old glass jars ( Jacobs coffee , if it makes any diff. ) I have had at least 10 cups of said stuff in the process of finding a practical ( meaning QUICK ) way of removing the flipping lables. Tried all ways recommended on Google ( just not mother's milk ). Any suggestions. I dont want to spend a whole weekend on these 30,or so , jars.

I clean the labels off plastic bottles that I recycle (personal i.e cut, heat and shape) with a high pressure water gun.

If you get the entry angle right it peel off in one go. It should work even better on glass.

Note 1: Some label/glue combos work better than others though. On the real tough types (typically really thin paper on super strong glue) - I just cut the labeled areas out and make that the commercial recycle company's problem, while keeping the clean sections for myself to work with. 

Note 2: The glue only move from the bottle to another new area.... Don't move it onto you face-brick wall for example :) Use an area that can be cleaned up afterwards.

I use the same orange oil that I use for degreasing bike parts. Whatever label glue doesn't come off with that, comes off with thinners.

Hi guys, so with 3 young kids now in the house (along with wanting to change the decor look), I have a few furniture items that I would like to sell. I was wondering how or where would be the best place to approach or advertise. I am based in Pretoria.

The items are a 3m Yellowwood sideboard (all yellowwood, 3 doors), a Yellowwood kist(all wood with no steel screws at all, not clean edged but rough look) as well as an Oak table measuring roughly 2m x 1m with fancy legwork. The table is being used to hold TV, PS4, etc but I need to wall mount something as the cables are a kid magnet!!!!!

I will be able to post pics a bit later, when I am home.

Or if anybody is keen here please PM me:)

Second hand wooden furniture is a hit-and-miss affair. You can try Sinkhuis(ie) antiques in Soutpansberg road as well as Geran Meubels (used to be in Soutpans as well but I heard they moved) I've had some luck selling stuff for clients there, but don't expect top dollar.

Other options for more dollar is to get one or both the above places to valuate your furniture and the list it for that price on Gumtree and Junkmail online.

My Metabo electrical hand planer is not so hot anymore.

Were is the best place in Johannesburg that can re-con/replace the electrical motor.

Every electrical component is manufactured with a small amount of smoke, once you let that smoke escape, you have a problem

My Metabo electrical hand planer is not so hot anymore.

Were is the best place in Johannesburg that can re-con/replace the electrical motor.

Every electrical component is manufactured with a small amount of smoke, once you let that smoke escape, you have a problem

I'd go directly to Metabo themselves. They're pretty good on service, at least in Cape Town.

Benzine is a good solvent for sticky stuff. Chuck some in a shallow pan and soak the bottles for a few minutes.

its not directly related to wood work...but a tip for when plastic gets all sticky.

i found a pair of ole oakley sunglasses (old matrix style) which i had stored in the top of my cupboard...was cleaning out noticed them...when i removed them from the case the rubbers on the side of the glasses had like oily yucky film of *** on them...i tired everything acetone...meths you name it...left them out in the sun...it just got worse...so i gave the glasses away.

same thing happened to my two way radios...the e/l testers i got at a good price...so i bought a couple...they are stored in a cool dark room...took them out to use...they were all sticky and yucky...i had a bottle of baby powder which i use for my electrical rubber gloves to help fit and remove when i am all sweaty...covered the radios in powder...bingo ...problem solved.  

its not directly related to wood work...but a tip for when plastic gets all sticky.

i found a pair of ole oakley sunglasses (old matrix style) which i had stored in the top of my cupboard...was cleaning out noticed them...when i removed them from the case the rubbers on the side of the glasses had like oily yucky film of *** on them...i tired everything acetone...meths you name it...left them out in the sun...it just got worse...so i gave the glasses away.

same thing happened to my two way radios...the e/l testers i got at a good price...so i bought a couple...they are stored in a cool dark room...took them out to use...they were all sticky and yucky...i had a bottle of baby powder which i use for my electrical rubber gloves to help fit and remove when i am all sweaty...covered the radios in powder...bingo ...problem solved.  

But it is cycling related........because the same (temporary) fix also work for old rubber brake hoods when they go all soft and sticky.

Ditto for the special bits, they are clearly marked for this purpose. And don't put your drill on hammer mode! tiles will crack, no matter what the bit.

New toys news: I recently got a Makita plunge track saw, beautiful neat straight cuts every time, great investment. Been cutting a lot of tops and shelves.

Makita-Circular-Saw-SP6000J_grande.jpg

just be very careful with your fingers under the wood while holding a short piece of wood....it ok with big sheets...but when you need to just cut that little piece of the end...dont hold it.

Edited by eccc whippet

Sounds like you have experience!

Please share the gory detail

just be very careful with your fingers under the wood while holding a short piece of wood....it ok with big sheets...but when you need to just cut that little piece of the end...dont hold it.

Sounds like you have experience!

Please share the gory detail

i have had a very close encounter...i generally do woodwork after hours or on the weekend...i have learnt to switch off the power and put hand tools down when i dont feel 100 %...then rather focus on design or planning for the next day.

I have however hit 2 nails clean off my fingers with a hammer...hitting 6" nails into wood.

i have also shot nails through wood and through my fingers...holding the wood using a nail gun...especially when they dont go straight through.

My son lost 1 finger on the table saw...warned him about cleaning up while working...left the table saw running...slipped on a plank on the floor...put his hand down onto the saw...finger across the workshop...3 hours sitting in ER waiting for a doctor...by the time he got to see the doc t was too late to save the finger.

wearing gloves while working on a drill press is also not a smart idea...i had a bit catch a glove and almost rip my fingers off

one tool that makes me nervous...the band saw...they seem so safe...yet they are deadly.

working in the construction industry...i have seen some serious accidents.