Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

As a matter of interest, will Danish Oil work on Rhodesian Teak (not sure if that's the correct name, but that's what the seller of the furniture items called it)?

Some of the pieces are kept indoors, and others (coffee table, directors chairs) are outdoors.

It will certainly work on the indoor stuff - the outdoor stuff I would finish with a 70% turps and 30% linseed oil mix  - then you get your domestic to wipe it down monthly with the same mix on a cloth - should survive just about anything.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gif20190806_113751_resize.jpg

attachicon.gif20190806_113807_resize.jpg

Hey Guys

I got this work bench from my Dad many years ago.

He got it from a guy who had it for a few years before that.

The problem is it is a BIG bench, measuring 2.5m long.

Can any of you have any ideas on how to re-purpose this thing? I do not know if there is enough wood to make a table (we already have one). But could possibly do with an outside table - just not sure such a dark colour would work.

I suspect the top is meranti as the wood has that sweet smell and is slightly reddish. The legs may well be pine.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

For now I am going to keep it, as I just had to  re design our garage to accommodate the table  :blink:

I cant afford (dont really want to spend buying)  expensive wood...what i do is take off cut and make stuff with the pieces...mix it up and even throw in a bit of plywood or what ever to add character.

strip it make something you need using the wood...that way it keeps the sentimental value...even if it is a simple thing like a window planter for the office or kitchen.

I have a facebook page called "the cranky woodworker"...check out the pics...if the wood is too small to use on projects...i collect it then make planters or fairy boxes ...i think my daughter and grand children are old enough now to know that the fairy boxes are make in my garage and not in special place ...or tinker bell ;) 

So I am considering getting a scroll saw instead of a band saw, is it worth it to get a scroll saw?

I am getting married next year and I'm thinking that a scroll saw will enable me to make most of the stuff we want to get such as table numbers names etc. Do they have a purpose other than small crafts or should I just save up and buy a band saw?

So I am considering getting a scroll saw instead of a band saw, is it worth it to get a scroll saw?

I am getting married next year and I'm thinking that a scroll saw will enable me to make most of the stuff we want to get such as table numbers names etc. Do they have a purpose other than small crafts or should I just save up and buy a band saw?

It all depends on the type of work you're planning on doing. 

Scroll saws are good for artsy craft type projects, and other intricate cut-out work on stock that is not too thick. A fretsaw (hand saw) can do the same job.

Bandsaws are limited in that you can't do cut-out work, but can still achieve quite intricate results with a narrower (1/8 - 1/4") blades. They are more versatile otherwise, and a good bandsaw will see a lot of use in the workshop. They're ideal for ripping rough lumber and resawing. But not all bandsaws are created equal and setup is finicky at the best of times.

scroll saw is for very light stuff ...a band saw can cut most things...wood...plastic...metal and i even use it to shape foam...i use templates and a router to shape most things.

buy the bandsaw quick before you get married ;) 

Depends on what you want to do with it, as has been said, scroll saw is good for fine work on light materials.  For your wedding needs, find someone with a laser engraver in your area, and get the table numbers, names, etc. cut on a laser.  Quick Google search brought up these guys:

https://thecuckoosnest.co.za/

Thanks for the input, I will see if I can find a band saw, also leaning that way. It just feels that a scroll saw is much cheaper than a band saw and if it can cut up to say 1" softwood and MDF it should be fine. 

Depends on what you want to do with it, as has been said, scroll saw is good for fine work on light materials.  For your wedding needs, find someone with a laser engraver in your area, and get the table numbers, names, etc. cut on a laser.  Quick Google search brought up these guys:

https://thecuckoosnest.co.za/

It feels like cutting it myself will work out cheaper than laser cutting, we will get the finer more detailed stuff laser cut. I wouldn't buy the saw just for the wedding so it would be a longer-term investment of sorts.

It feels like cutting it myself will work out cheaper than laser cutting, we will get the finer more detailed stuff laser cut. I wouldn't buy the saw just for the wedding so it would be a longer-term investment of sorts.

I remember with our wedding I had the same intentions.

The venue ended up having all of those odds and ends so I made the gift box as well as a nice ring box. Both still used till today in the house.

The venue ended up having all of those odds and ends so I made the gift box as well as a nice ring box. Both still used till today in the house.

Hi Steven,

Can't remember - did you post a pic of the completed ring box?

Unfortunately, they do not have any decor stuff, so I will spend some time making what can be made.

So I ended up buying a scroll saw I got on a very good deal from someone who unfortuneately cannot do woodwork anymore, I also picked up a mini belt and disk benchtop sander from him. 

For now, I think the scroll saw would fit my needs better for cutting smaller, thinner stock. It also allows me to do inside cuts. A band saw remains on my wishlist for now.

Woodworking is my main hobby right now. Thanks for the inspiration!  Want to make my first wooden table in the near future. 

Post pictures when you start and as you progress!!

attachicon.gif20190806_113751_resize.jpg

attachicon.gif20190806_113807_resize.jpg

Hey Guys

I got this work bench from my Dad many years ago.

He got it from a guy who had it for a few years before that.

The problem is it is a BIG bench, measuring 2.5m long.

Can any of you have any ideas on how to re-purpose this thing? I do not know if there is enough wood to make a table (we already have one). But could possibly do with an outside table - just not sure such a dark colour would work.

I suspect the top is meranti as the wood has that sweet smell and is slightly reddish. The legs may well be pine.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

For now I am going to keep it, as I just had to  re design our garage to accommodate the table  :blink:

Would've made a nice kitchen Island if you are into that look,clean the top maybe pop in a prep bowl.Nice space for pots and pans below.Even for an outdoor kitchen.The plugs are already there for the mixer etc.  :thumbup:

Edited by Willie2011