Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I'm busy with a bigger project that has now dragged on for so long, I'm getting bored with it, so when this little quickie came along it was great fun. The client is Mrs DJR and she is impatient, wants everything done yesterday and don't pay well, or at all. Trouble is, I cannot refuse.

So, the brief was to make something to add a personal touch to a birthday present for her dad.

So, here goes:

Grab a piece of cut-off plywood that someone burnt with a soldering iron to try make something for his girlfriend, and ditched the project, but not the girlfriend. Quickly cut out a mould / press thingie.

post-17716-0-60176300-1566229390_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut and wet a piece of leather and press the living daylights out of it, overnight. Let it dry well.

post-17716-0-67247700-1566229540_thumb.jpg

You get something like this when you open the press. Now you see where this is going. Of course that is also the end of the woodwork project and the leather work project takes over from here.

post-17716-0-10090000-1566229615_thumb.jpg

The final result!

P.s. Once my big project is done, hopefully in the next week or so, I'll post some proper woodwork. Promise! (I hate sanding, hate varnishing, it takes for ever and it's as boring as painting a white wall white)

post-17716-0-50945500-1566230235_thumb.jpg

The final result!

P.s. Once my big project is done, hopefully in the next week or so, I'll post some proper woodwork. Promise! (I hate sanding, hate varnishing, it takes for ever and it's as boring as painting a white wall white)

As someone who lost their leather leatherman pouch, I would be keen to know what you would charge for one of these?

As someone who lost their leather leatherman pouch, I would be keen to know what you would charge for one of these?

I've never sold any of my leather stuff, it just takes too much time and would cost too much. If I look at what the dedicated "leather guys" sell small things like wallets for, then I would say around R500 as a thumb-suck? Look below, Stockton belongs to the same guy who covers our saddles, Velobrien! They make super quality things.

https://www.stocktongoods.com/

https://velobrien.com/

A question to the tool guys:

It's about time that I stopped borrowing my father and friend's tools and start getting my own. I am awaiting a tax return, but now I feel like a kid in a candy store.

On going to get a decent cordless drill. I have my eyes set on the Bosch blue 18v drill, I'll use it a lot and it will work hard, I'm always drilling into trucks and trailers to fix stuff or replace sheets so I want a hard worker.

But I don't do a lot of woodwork other than hobby type stuff at home. I want to build a bigger workbench, fix a butchers block and then later build a base and headboard for our bed.

While I believe in buying decent tools, I don't see myself using it often enough to warrant Bosch blue or better for my home use. I like Bosch, so the green range is tickling my fancy. Im also very snoep, so if there are any other value brands out there, so I will appreciate it if you can point me in their direction.

I'm think of getting a circular saw, that I will probably later mount under a table, a jigsaw and a sander to start off with. (These are the tools I borrow the most....)

Are there anything else I should look at getting first?

Take a look at Makita 18v range -  there is lots of options and its money well spent. BPM Toolcraft have some keenly prices kits and thereafter you can buy tool only and batteries as you need them. try get Brushless versions if you can, much more efficient / compact / good power to weight ratio / batteries last longer.

That said, sadly SA product range here lags the international market, but BPM is prob, your best bet.

It's about time that I stopped borrowing my father and friend's tools and start getting my own. I am awaiting a tax return, but now I feel like a kid in a candy store.

On going to get a decent cordless drill. I have my eyes set on the Bosch blue 18v drill, I'll use it a lot and it will work hard, I'm always drilling into trucks and trailers to fix stuff or replace sheets so I want a hard worker.

But I don't do a lot of woodwork other than hobby type stuff at home. I want to build a bigger workbench, fix a butchers block and then later build a base and headboard for our bed.

While I believe in buying decent tools, I don't see myself using it often enough to warrant Bosch blue or better for my home use. I like Bosch, so the green range is tickling my fancy. Im also very snoep, so if there are any other value brands out there, so I will appreciate it if you can point me in their direction.

I'm think of getting a circular saw, that I will probably later mount under a table, a jigsaw and a sander to start off with. (These are the tools I borrow the most....)

Try not to skimp on a cordless drill. It's such a great tool you can/will use everywhere. Look for one with a hammer action, these things can actually drill holes in walls. 3.0+ Ah batteries ftw.

Unless you find something on a massive discount, don't buy something you think you might need. Start/plan a project, and then buy what you need. You don't want to buy stuff you'll never use. While all the tools you listed are very useful/versatile, the stuff is expensive, and money is always the issue, so prioritize your purchases.

I will add a router to your list. The versatility of a router is sometimes just unimaginable.

Take a look at Makita 18v range - there is lots of options and its money well spent. BPM Toolcraft have some keenly prices kits and thereafter you can buy tool only and batteries as you need them. try get Brushless versions if you can, much more efficient / compact / good power to weight ratio / batteries last longer.

That said, sadly SA product range here lags the international market, but BPM is prob, your best bet.

I should have been more specific. The drill will be cordless, but the saws and Sanders etc will be corded, I don't really need portability, and corded tools are considerably cheaper.

Edit : ooh toolcraft is like a well priced candy shop. Thanks.

Edited by PhilipV

You won't regret the Bosch Blue 18v - I've got two and they refuse to quit.

If you can, get a Bosch Blue jigsaw as well - I upgraded mine last year and have even cut stainless steel sheets for bartops with it. The bigger motors ensure a smoother/easier cut and the 'better' models have a wider range of blades available.

Sanders .. I switched over to a Bosch green random orbital jobbie - if you blow it out with a compressor every couple of days it lasts forever. The velcro pad on the bottom goes after a while (mine quit in year 2) but is a fairly cheap (around R400) replacement.

For just about everything else I'd go cheap - maybe get a tracksaw instead of a tablesaw. Plenty of good advice on this thread about that.

Take a look at Makita 18v range - there is lots of options and its money well spent. BPM Toolcraft have some keenly prices kits and thereafter you can buy tool only and batteries as you need them. try get Brushless versions if you can, much more efficient / compact / good power to weight ratio / batteries last longer.

I should have been more specific. The drill will be cordless, but the saws and Sanders etc will be corded, I don't really need portability, and corded tools are considerably cheaper.

Saw these at a flea market in pretoria on Saturday. I've got the guys details at home if anyone's interested.

post-29544-0-92317400-1566804324_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-64295200-1566804325_thumb.jpeg