Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Better Bosch Green than Ryobi imho although they do have a 'pro' range as well, its generally cheap and nasty

Its a pity the old Ryobi industrial stuff isnt around anymore.

Those tools were easily on par with Makita, I have an old belt sander and electric planer from the Ryobi industrial side and they will literally never die!

The new one+ stuff looks interesting, I dont expect it to be high quality but at least they have a universal battery system now and some of the basic tools where you might not want to spend the big money could be worth a look.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TRyobi.......

Would rather use my finger to make a hole than their drills.......

I have a dead ryobi 22v cordless that started this journey when it stopped working.

I have an industrial ryobi hammer drill that is a monster, but the cable needed to be bent just right the last time I used it. I'll open it up and fix it, but I'm not buying ryobi again.

My dad has a suite of bosch green tools, and they've soldiered on, so I have a soft spot for green.

Edited by PhilipV

Its a pity the old Ryobi industrial stuff isnt around anymore.

Those tools were easily on par with Makita, I have an old belt sander and electric planer from the Ryobi industrial side and they will literally never die!

The new one+ stuff looks interesting, I dont expect it to be high quality but at least they have a universal battery system now and some of the basic tools where you might not want to spend the big money could be worth a look.

The Ryobi stuff you still get in Aus and USA is faaaar better, and on par with the old industrial range. Sad that we don't get it anymore, but Ryobi SA have really done themselves a disservice with the cheap only kaaaak that they're bringing in.

Unfortunately means I wouldn't consider Ryobi anything, anymore. 

It all boils down to how much you are prepared to spend and the application.

You want an all round tool to last forever...get industrial grade makita (just be careful makita now has a DIY range) and choose the battery wisely...if you gona use the machine to drill big holes or use a long bit...get a big battery and a small one for the light stuff...these machines get heavy with the big batteries...especially after 8 hours of use. 

Other wise buy the tool specific to the application...for example i wanted a light weight impact driver for general screw fixing...so a small battery on the most powerful makita impact driver works for me...some people ask me why i dont use the 5 amp/hr ...because i dont want a bulky heavy machine...thats why i have a fast charger and spare batteries.

If you are using tools like the grinder to sand for example... as i do on occasion...its better to use the 5 amp/hr battery.

just be careful of the older makita machines that are not star rated...they will F^&* up your battery if you dont stop when the battery is low...i learnt the hard way... @around R 1000 per battery it gets expensive...the new batteries and machine do cut out when the battery gets low...to protect them.

The Ryobi stuff you still get in Aus and USA is faaaar better, and on par with the old industrial range. Sad that we don't get it anymore, but Ryobi SA have really done themselves a disservice with the cheap only kaaaak that they're bringing in.

Unfortunately means I wouldn't consider Ryobi anything, anymore. 

When i started out after my accident which resulted in me loosing everything including my tools and machines (had to sell everything that wasnt taken by the banks)...after a couple of years I got to use my right hand and arm again...i started buying new tools...Ryobi was all i could afford...as i upgraded...i gave my Dad the Ryobi machines (doing DIY projects) When he passed away...i got all the machines back ...which i donated to his life long friend...he still uses them.

Ryobi has its place in the market...as do all the other brands.

When i started out after my accident which resulted in me loosing everything including my tools and machines (had to sell everything that wasnt taken by the banks)...after a couple of years I got to use my right hand and arm again...i started buying new tools...Ryobi was all i could afford...as i upgraded...i gave my Dad the Ryobi machines (doing DIY projects) When he passed away...i got all the machines back ...which i donated to his life long friend...he still uses them.

Ryobi has its place in the market...as do all the other brands.

yeah, I have a bunch of ryobi power tools for the "occasional use" applications, stuff that I use often and work harder I go Bosch, where I can its bosch blue, but I have a few bosch green tools too.

While the subject is on power tools, what about Metabo?

In my experience good stuff but there are limited options here.

They have a few cheapos of tools on my wish list but that I am suspect of for some unknown reason

ie https://www.toolcraft.co.za/collections/metabo/products/metabo-compound-mitre-saw-kgs-216m

Recently got one of their  compressed air right angle wrench goodie with sockets, very nice kit.

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/collections/metabo/products/metabo-compressed-air-ratchet-drs-68-set-1-2?variant=26371080771

Edited by kosmonooit

My dad had a Metabo hammer drill - that thing lasted 30 plus years DIY duty.

I only heard good things about that Mitre saw.

Edited by carrera4s

Among the best.

They were the pioneers with chordless tools.

I need to replace my old cordless drills. Hence my question relating to metabo. Looking at the Bosch blue range, but metabos 3 year battery warranty is very good

I need to replace my old cordless drills. Hence my question relating to metabo. Looking at the Bosch blue range, but metabos 3 year battery warranty is very good

That really becomes a game of which batteries/charger do you want to stick with.

On one hand there is Bosch blue - good strong tools but limited range of cordless tools in SA

Makita - slightly more expensive than Bosch but far bigger range of tools

Metabo - pretty expensive and very limited range of tools.

Dewalt - starting to make a bit of inroads but stupidly overpriced and very limited range.

Ryobi oneplus - cheap as chips and reportedly quite decent. Good for light to medium duty and some fairly decent range of tools available.

Our study's cupboards / murphy bed is eventually finished.  Between some crooked solid wood pieces, skew walls, uneven & not level floor etc, it turned out a bit bigger challenge than it should have been!

The two doors on either side has some removable shelving space and a rail for hanging some shirts etc if necessary.  The cupboards at the top can only take light stuff - I forgot to design some proper support below it.  :whistling:

And two down lights act as bedside lamps - nice to read at.

The mechanism came from Hiddenbeds-sa.co.za and the wood panels was supplied by Wood@Ease.

I will add this to the tools4wood competition, so please go like my entry!

post-50518-0-00954500-1567274630_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-70886700-1567274644_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-44480800-1567274708_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-70874700-1567274745_thumb.jpg

This was a project that took way longer than expected.

3 months before birth, and 6 months there after.

Used Raw Blackwood boards which my dad purchased around 20 years ago in Knysna.

Using an electrical handplaner was a really time consuming and crappy job. Time to buy a thicknesser!!!

76 Joints took even longer.

It is a knock-down unit, so it can be dismantled and stored when he outgrows it.

The wheels will be removed when we don't have to get up every 4 hours to feed him.

post-37282-0-83251200-1567403241_thumb.jpg

post-37282-0-42696900-1567403258_thumb.jpg

post-37282-0-63107800-1567403270_thumb.jpg

post-37282-0-41164400-1567403299_thumb.jpg

Our study's cupboards / murphy bed is eventually finished.  Between some crooked solid wood pieces, skew walls, uneven & not level floor etc, it turned out a bit bigger challenge than it should have been!

The two doors on either side has some removable shelving space and a rail for hanging some shirts etc if necessary.  The cupboards at the top can only take light stuff - I forgot to design some proper support below it.  :whistling:

And two down lights act as bedside lamps - nice to read at.

The mechanism came from Hiddenbeds-sa.co.za and the wood panels was supplied by Wood@Ease.

I will add this to the tools4wood competition, so please go like my entry!

attachicon.gifKas 1 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 2 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 5 Klein.jpg

attachicon.gifKas 6 Klein.jpg

Very nicely done!! it always amazes me how neat all of your projects are.

Im thinking hard about doing the same type of thing in our spare room so I might leave that room for now until I have decided.