Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

hey DJR. how close to mondrian did your son want it? If closer, it might work better to coat the interior, as it will convey the mondrian pattern abit louder when viewed from any angle.

The inside color will also serve to highlight the helmets that i imagine would occupy the boxes.

Nice tight joinery there  :thumbup:

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey DJR. how close to mondrian did your son want it? If closer, it might work better to coat the interior, as it will convey the mondrian pattern abit louder when viewed from any angle.

The inside color will also serve to highlight the helmets that i imagine would occupy the boxes.

Nice tight joinery there  :thumbup:

Yes, we have an ongoing discussion about that. He wants it more black, and I want to add more colour. My first plan was to paint the 3 primary colour boxes inside as well. And the rest white inside? I got vetoed! Clients, bloody clients!  ;) We'll see what it looks like when he's got his books and architectural models packed into it, then make the final call! :)  

Yes, we have an ongoing discussion about that. He wants it more black, and I want to add more colour. My first plan was to paint the 3 primary colour boxes inside as well. And the rest white inside? I got vetoed! Clients, bloody clients!  ;) We'll see what it looks like when he's got his books and architectural models packed into it, then make the final call! :)  

does he want it stained black to this degree?

ash-wood-ebonized-2.jpg

does he want it stained black to this degree?

No, he is happy with how dark it is. The trouble is that taking pictures of it is near impossible without a flash. And with the flash, the reflection gives it a weird white / grey look, despite the matt varnish. I'll try again to take a photograph without flash. He just doesn't want more bold colour. And I think it needs more. 

No, he is happy with how dark it is. The trouble is that taking pictures of it is near impossible without a flash. And with the flash, the reflection gives it a weird white / grey look, despite the matt varnish. I'll try again to take a photograph without flash. He just doesn't want more bold colour. And I think it needs more. 

i think this forum needs to have a vote on the matter. I vote for the contractor on this one  :thumbup: :P

Edited by Capricorn

• 2 weeks later...

Would you guys put woodoc wax on on outside wooden table to for an hour or so a day gets sun on it ?

It looks like the wood is starting to lighten in colour - I suspect from the sun coming onto the stoep through a window we have put in.

Would you guys put woodoc wax on on outside wooden table to for an hour or so a day gets sun on it ?

It looks like the wood is starting to lighten in colour - I suspect from the sun coming onto the stoep through a window we have put in.

Put something with UV resistance on - silkwood or such would be my first stop - alternately something really expensive from northern europe or canada

• 4 weeks later...

Little projects can sometimes give you a BIG kick. Very often fixing and restoring can be a pain in the butt, but sometimes it is hugely rewarding. A mate of ours bought a dining room table and chairs at auction and one chair had 2 of its' front teeth kicked in. He asked me to repair it. I only said yes because he is a really good friend. 

post-17716-0-97091500-1570370148_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR