Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

SA is a terrible place for finding second hand tablesaws.

I literally couldnt find anything within a few hundred km of me and then it was an old Delta unisaw that they wanted R20k for.

Well my savings won't mind if I don't find a bargain I can't resist.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SA is a terrible place for finding second hand tablesaws.

I literally couldnt find anything within a few hundred km of me and then it was an old Delta unisaw that they wanted R20k for.

There are some bargains on facebook marketplace and make an offer groups.Got this tablesaw last week for what I think was a good price.Cant find any reviews on it but I took the plunge and I am very happy with my purchase. 

post-23262-0-37240900-1583398157_thumb.jpeg

There are some bargains on facebook marketplace and make an offer groups.Got this tablesaw last week for what I think was a good price.Cant find any reviews on it but I took the plunge and I am very happy with my purchase. 

Yeah, there was a few good saws on fb recently. Delta, Wadkin and some cheaper ones. Gumtree also brings up a few bargains;

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-power-tools/durbanville/10-34-table-saw-for-sale-+-toolmate/1006998154930910367090009

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-industrial-machinery/mitchell-s-plain/table-saw/1006985652790911555670309

• 2 weeks later...

If this is a repost, oops. Wouldn't mind paying for a handmade one (I don't have the tools, nor the skills).

Pask makes cool stuff, been watching his channel for years.

The segmented rings are a pain to make. The last segmented bowl I made took more than a month with all of the various glue up's and flattening etc.

Pask makes cool stuff, been watching his channel for years.

The segmented rings are a pain to make. The last segmented bowl I made took more than a month with all of the various glue up's and flattening etc.

As he said, if it doesn’t work at least it looks cool.

Its been a while since I posted any projects in here, I have been crazy busy at work for a while.

I have been working on a board to mount my house numbers on, they werent standing out very well on the wall so Im going to mount them to this and then to the wall.

post-4822-0-63305300-1585038207_thumb.jpg

I was amazed at home much resin it used, was 1.5L in total for something about the size of A4 paper.

Next I needed to curve the edges so I found some STL files to 3D print some radius jigs for my router.

post-4822-0-60888600-1585038275_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-70871400-1585038294_thumb.jpg

They work a charm and I have printed 0.5 and 1" ones so far, many other sizes still waiting to be done.

I also printed a sanding attachment for an angle grinder, its used with 80 grit to remove lines and scratches from turned projects in a BIG hurry!

post-4822-0-58521800-1585038381_thumb.jpg

I should be done with the number sign in a few days so will post pics when its up.

So I got a few basics from Mr Woodturner a few weeks ago and with the pressures of work haven't had a chance to play until this weekend. I used some scrap ebony that I have been hoarding for the past few years and ended up with this. Some damage near the tip (got a bit thin getting it to match the tip insert diameter and it split on the grain).

It was supposed to be a Comfort grip with the rubber bit but I liked it better without. My mandrel was home made with a piece of 6mm SS round with a home made thumb screw and spacers.

I have ordered a mandrel insert and proper spacers so hopefully the next one will come out better.

Not too bad for a first try using a metal lathe. Wood turning tool was an old modified metal file.

197f0e5fb7371eca21f8b6d9919ff385.jpg

So I got a few basics from Mr Woodturner a few weeks ago and with the pressures of work haven't had a chance to play until this weekend. I used some scrap ebony that I have been hoarding for the past few years and ended up with this. Some damage near the tip (got a bit thin getting it to match the tip insert diameter and it split on the grain).

It was supposed to be a Comfort grip with the rubber bit but I liked it better without. My mandrel was home made with a piece of 6mm SS round with a home made thumb screw and spacers.

I have ordered a mandrel insert and proper spacers so hopefully the next one will come out better.

Not too bad for a first try using a metal lathe. Wood turning tool was an old modified metal file.

197f0e5fb7371eca21f8b6d9919ff385.jpg

Pen turning is a great way to take your mind off things, it isnt too demanding on you and its fairly quick to get a completed project.

I have found that friends and family love getting pens as gifts, they are all entirely unique which makes it extra special.

My little boy has been running around making pewpew noise with s..e pipes he put together. I reckon I should make a proper little pistol for him.

Well you’ve got 3 weeks forced leave coming up......????

Well you’ve got 3 weeks forced leave coming up......

I wish I had that same 3 weeks forced leave, would love to get stuck into some projects.

Sadly its business as usual for me, I work from home in international IT so nothing has changed.