Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So all my bits from Mr Woodturner arrived the week before lockdown. It is amazing the difference in the finished product when you use the right tools...(using a proper mandrel and a barrel trimmer)

Another ebony body. This time using a Streamline Twist kit. I have decided that I am not a fan of the bulbous "fat" looking pens. I prefer the straight geometric look. Doesn't hurt that it plays to my engineering preferences as well as the equipment at hand. Two kits left. Streamline Twist like this one and a Fancy Twist in Gunmetal with three blanks remaining (African Blackwood, Wild Olive and an acrylic blank which I might try next weekend).

I am quite enjoying this.

c2ee93010b99fa2bcc588af6a7bfe375.jpg

16369afb888f4db202053370bb01f11d.jpg

08d72835f94b1e727713f4eb40434d8e.jpg

157cba250fc278e3f54da192f2a8d437.jpg

So all my bits from Mr Woodturner arrived the week before lockdown. It is amazing the difference in the finished product when you use the right tools...(using a proper mandrel and a barrel trimmer)

Another ebony body. This time using a Streamline Twist kit. I have decided that I am not a fan of the bulbous "fat" looking pens. I prefer the straight geometric look. Doesn't hurt that it plays to my engineering preferences as well as the equipment at hand. Two kits left. Streamline Twist like this one and a Fancy Twist in Gunmetal with three blanks remaining (African Blackwood, Wild Olive and an acrylic blank which I might try next weekend).

Nice one, Gregg!

The jnr gentleman is quite a nice kit, its quite bulky but has a screw on top.

I have found that with highly figured woods you need a slightly thicker pen otherwise you lose that figure.

Some people like a bigger pen that makes a statement, they are definitely not as comfortable to write with though. I have a bunch of slimlines all over the place which I use if I need to write something.

Well done Grebel!  It looks really good!

The Streamline is one of my my favourite pens - best seller and not too difficult!  And African Blackwood one of my favourite woods.

Just a tip, especially for the thinner wall pens - Just make sure you clean the tubes properly on the inside before assembly - I had one or 2 crack due to glue in the tube.

Well done Grebel! It looks really good!

The Streamline is one of my my favourite pens - best seller and not too difficult! And African Blackwood one of my favourite woods.

Just a tip, especially for the thinner wall pens - Just make sure you clean the tubes properly on the inside before assembly - I had one or 2 crack due to glue in the tube.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been using epoxy to glue the tubes in and it has a tendency to collect in the ends. I have been using a 6mm HSS bit to ream the ends by hand. I also realised that I need to insert the barrel trimmer into the tube before turning the drill press on.....

Would be keen to try a Junior Gentleman or maybe a Vertex one of these days.

Not “real” woodwork, I made a passive speaker for my cellphone using 3mm MDF, laminated 30 pieces together.

5300906e974d030b5fa852e4b7bb2109.jpg

930487dcc6069fa60d746850103b5013.jpg

Very nice, Ive seen guys 3D printing these, but this looks much better.

I have floor to wall steel shelving to store larger items and boxes. I'm specifically looking at a solution to store hand tools in something like a drawer system. The architectural drawers might be an alternative. Those roll away drawers are quite expensive but seem like a worthwhile investment.

Search the second hand classifieds - they come up regularly - some are better quality than others.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-office-equipment-furniture/rosebank/plan-filing-drawers/1007109189080910253053409

Edit - here is another one - better view - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1438055306353647/

Edited by V12man

My fold up work table goes up against the wall.

fcfbd449cfddb66ae28ae06de116b149.jpg

5808163d314be3543b6335fca794d916.jpg

I like, plan is to make something similar, but a toolbox. Still need to get there tho.

Having grown up with those Ozalid cabinets they are too shallow and meant for drawings

They work fine for 80% of my tools - and are particularly good for small parts and things like nuts and bolt storage -  easy to see everything without opening a million little drawers - also the big ones are nice to fit straight edges and levels and such - mostly because they are big.. On my big roll away, the long drawers are deeper, and I hate having things on top of each other - although that happens in the deep drawers a lot.

I often consider trying to re-engineer 2 drawers into a single deeper one though - I am sure it will be possible - just have not got around to trying yet.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been using epoxy to glue the tubes in and it has a tendency to collect in the ends. I have been using a 6mm HSS bit to ream the ends by hand. I also realised that I need to insert the barrel trimmer into the tube before turning the drill press on.....

Would be keen to try a Junior Gentleman or maybe a Vertex one of these days.

That could have been all kinds of interesting!!!

The jnr gent and vertex are a lot more complicated because the sizes of ends and bushings are all different. Have to make sure those bushings are in the correct order otherwise its a ruined blank.

Another Lockdown pen. This time a Slimline Gunmetal Twist with African Blackwood. Need to work on my finishing game though. After machining I am using 120 Emory paper to start and 600-2000 waterpaper to finish (I do sand against the rotation between grits). Only saw the fine sanding rings when I took the pictures (Old eyes and garage glasses...). I need to invest in some mesh from Mr Woodturner...

Finished size is 8,5mm so the wood is only about 0.75mm thick if you account for the 7mm tube! This was more of an experiment to see if you could go that thin. Again, I don't like the inflated fat pens.

Sorry for boring you with my little pen projects. Not nearly as exciting as some of the proper build projects, but I really am enjoying making these.

I have a resin blank ready for my next one. A Birthday present for my sister.

355216e1d26bad739799e7f6d80d5027.jpg

902e44698956ce58d221aab2b2391c6e.jpg

62ccc11189a2c70992db97d02f544d87.jpg

6ceafee366dc501f3eb1f770761d06a5.jpg

Another Lockdown pen. This time a Slimline Gunmetal Twist with African Blackwood. Need to work on my finishing game though. After machining I am using 120 Emory paper to start and 600-2000 waterpaper to finish (I do sand against the rotation between grits). Only saw the fine sanding rings when I took the pictures (Old eyes and garage glasses...). I need to invest in some mesh from Mr Woodturner...

Finished size is 8,5mm so the wood is only about 0.75mm thick if you account for the 7mm tube! This was more of an experiment to see if you could go that thin. Again, I don't like the inflated fat pens.

Sorry for boring you with my little pen projects. Not nearly as exciting as some of the proper build projects, but I really am enjoying making these.

I have a resin blank ready for my next one. A Birthday present for my sister.

355216e1d26bad739799e7f6d80d5027.jpg

902e44698956ce58d221aab2b2391c6e.jpg

62ccc11189a2c70992db97d02f544d87.jpg

6ceafee366dc501f3eb1f770761d06a5.jpg

Looking good! those radial scratches are always a thing, I use every second grit to manually sand in the direction of the grain to get rid of them.

The acrylic/resin blanks are nice because you dont have to finish them at all, I would recommend getting the sponge based micromesh pads for them, the finish is amazing.

Another fun thing to try - when you feel brave - is a CA finish. Its got quite a learning curve to it but the liquid glass type finish looks fantastic and is very durable.

P1 one step cutting creme from mr woodturner is cheap and can create a very high quality finish on acrylic and CA glue finishes.

Looking good! those radial scratches are always a thing, I use every second grit to manually sand in the direction of the grain to get rid of them.

The acrylic/resin blanks are nice because you dont have to finish them at all, I would recommend getting the sponge based micromesh pads for them, the finish is amazing.

Another fun thing to try - when you feel brave - is a CA finish. Its got quite a learning curve to it but the liquid glass type finish looks fantastic and is very durable.

P1 one step cutting creme from mr woodturner is cheap and can create a very high quality finish on acrylic and CA glue finishes.

Thanks Rocket-Boy. Jury is still out on the CA finish. I need to give it a try at some point. Don't want to detract from the warmth of the wood. Will see how the raw wood pens hold up to everyday use. Looking forward to working with the acrylic.

Lockdown count down now for the next Mr Woodturner order.... Glad I snuck in two kits befor lockdown. Should have added more!