Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Thanks. Was leaning towards the Makita, but also really like the DeWalt...because its yellow.

Not a Ryobi fan. Sorry madbradd

We had a Ryobi high pressure cleaner many many years ago before Ryobi was a household name brand and before they were blue in colour.

One day whilst cleaning the car the high pressure pipe burst, ryobi refused to honour the warranty stating negligence.

Since then I had refused to by their products.

But, I have landed up buying their stuff over the year when money was tight. The idea being they are cheap enough to use for a handful of jobs and are generally tools bought that I wont use very often at all.

2 of the tools have given me issues, the orbital sander died and the keyless chuck on the drill doesnt always stay tight anymore.

The rest, for the purpose I bought them (i.e. odd seldom done jobs) are working fine.

So they have their place, but one must always remember they are cheap for a reason.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a Ryobi high pressure cleaner many many years ago before Ryobi was a household name brand and before they were blue in colour.

One day whilst cleaning the car the high pressure pipe burst, ryobi refused to honour the warranty stating negligence.

Since then I had refused to by their products.

But, I have landed up buying their stuff over the year when money was tight. The idea being they are cheap enough to use for a handful of jobs and are generally tools bought that I wont use very often at all.

2 of the tools have given me issues, the orbital sander died and the keyless chuck on the drill doesnt always stay tight anymore.

The rest, for the purpose I bought them (i.e. odd seldom done jobs) are working fine.

So they have their place, but one must always remember they are cheap for a reason.

They have their place, usually in the bin.

Tryobi.....

The Ryobi One+ range looks appealing in terms of the variety of tools that fit one battery. Bosch doesn't seem to have such a wide range.

The Ryobi One+ range looks appealing in terms of the variety of tools that fit one battery. Bosch doesn't seem to have such a wide range.

I bought the Black and Decker Multi-evo drill and it has a number of attachment off of the same battery and motor.

It's a brand I trust more that Ryobi.

I have no idea on what Festool costs, it's not in my price range, but there are some of their goodies on onedayonly.co.za today.

I like that Festool lever clamps, and at R 999 they are the cheapest you can get them in SA.

Or you can order a twin pack from Amazon for $ 42.  Including delivery (Aramex) you will still be less than R 999 for 2.  Half price of the discounted price.

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-491594-Quick-Clamp-System/dp/B001U309KW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=festool+lever+clamp&qid=1590476045&s=hi&sr=1-1

Thanks. Was leaning towards the Makita, but also really like the DeWalt...because its yellow.

Not a Ryobi fan. Sorry madbradd

No need to apologise. I bought it as an electric screwdriver, and for some soft handyman stuff. Budget didn't stretch to the bigger brands - would have loved a Bosch or Makita. Just that I was pretty happy with it so thought I would share.

No need to apologise. I bought it as an electric screwdriver, and for some soft handyman stuff. Budget didn't stretch to the bigger brands - would have loved a Bosch or Makita. Just that I was pretty happy with it so thought I would share.

So not to defend the Ryobi brand or anything like justifying the piece of crap they sell, but my brother in law and my friend has Ryobi cordless 18v li-on versions, think one is slightly newer model. They work perfect for part time person hanging pictures and other small jobs. Both has lasted well even after some bigger jobs once in a blue moon.

I have De-walt 18v cordless hammer I bought at slightly more than ryobi (think at that time R1200), no its not brushless super model one, it's got 1AH packs and is just a standard cordless drill with hammer and torque. The two don't compare, I have used this drill to do many major extended use projects (charging packs as i go i got 3 so i rotate them) no issues. I think the clutch might be slipping now but once covid ends im sure ill find a brushless 18v without batteries cheapish. also one feature that's absolutely epic is the one handed chuck.

Something to note the Ryobi Brand is aimed at the once in a while user, same as bosch green. I have a bosch green drill still works no hammer but nicad batt's don't hold charge so i can only use it right after charging.

and then after typing all of this I realised both the grinders in garage ryobi, one is probly 15years old, gaurds lost, cable needs fixing and new bearings. Other someone threw out as it wouldn't work replaced popped cap and bam new grinder it works no faults and both havn't even given a hick-up. BUT these are corded tools.

Edited by Amberdrake

I would buy Ingco before Ryobi, they actually arent bad for the price and their cordless range is growing really fast.

Ideally its between Bosch blue and Makita in SA, as Carrera mentioned the Makita range of tools is quite a bit bigger than Bosch but there are tons of Bosch service centers around so that is a plus for them.

Im still trying to decide between the two brands!

Just a word of caution, those 5Ah batteries are awesome, but heavy. It will kill your wrists if you work long hours in uncomfortable positions.

Regardless, that's a good kit, but you can get it for even less here;

https://hwconline.co.za/dewalt-dcd796p2-18v-drill-dw.html

I would buy Ingco before Ryobi, they actually arent bad for the price and their cordless range is growing really fast.

Ideally its between Bosch blue and Makita in SA, as Carrera mentioned the Makita range of tools is quite a bit bigger than Bosch but there are tons of Bosch service centers around so that is a plus for them.

Get both.  :w00t:

Bosch has a nice range, especially the 12/10.8V range, but Makita has the cordless palm router and biscuit joiner that I'm eyeing. 

I wouldnt go that route if it was me, its just personal but once you get chargers and batteries you end up stuck in that ecosystem. Dewalt has almost no presence in SA so its not really worth it.

Honestly if I was spending that money it would be Makita and nothing but Makita.

Bosch has a nice range, especially the 12/10.8V range, but Makita has the cordless palm router and biscuit joiner that I'm eyeing. 

I want that cordless palm router! Also wouldnt mind the cordless random orbital sander.

That is the thing, you can get the Makita versions locally, cant get the Bosch or any other brand unfortunately.

I usually keep between Makita, Bosch Blue and Festool, depending on my budget and how much better the more expensive tool is.