Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I have a Metabo heavy duty hammer drill which is 30 years old and still going strong.Dont know if one can still get Metabo here

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Metabo heavy duty hammer drill which is 30 years old and still going strong.Dont know if one can still get Metabo here

Toolcraft in CT still stocks Metabo but its very expensive and not the same quality anymore.

I have a belt sander and electric plane from Ryobi industrial that are about 15-20 years old, those things are built just as strong as any of the big brands but not sold in SA anymore.

De Walt eco system in SA sucks. I bought my drill for a drill and I liked the balance better than the Makita, I have actually used both during extended sessions after buying and I prefer my De walt (Both have 1Ah batteries).

If I bought into a eco system IE 5Ah batteries (these required for using grinders saws etc) it would be makita purely for range of product available.

You won't regret it!

Yea I have Methabo 18 LTX BL cordless. With a 5 Ah battery this thing is fooken strong. If you drill 10mm metal with a 10mm bit and it grabs it wil pull your arm off your body. But 90% of the time I grab my Dewalt with 1.5 Ah battery because the Methabo tires your hand arm due to its weight and balance and most of the time you don't need all the torque the Methabo offers

Yea I have Methabo 18 LTX BL cordless. With a 5 Ah battery this thing is fooken strong. If you drill 10mm metal with a 10mm bit and it grabs it wil pull your arm off your body. But 90% of the time I grab my Dewalt with 1.5 Ah battery because the Methabo tires your hand arm due to its weight and balance and most of the time you don't need all the torque the Methabo offers

Seems like you need one of each!

De Walt eco system in SA sucks. I bought my drill for a drill and I liked the balance better than the Makita, I have actually used both during extended sessions after buying and I prefer my De walt (Both have 1Ah batteries).

If I bought into a eco system IE 5Ah batteries (these required for using grinders saws etc) it would be makita purely for range of product available.

There is an interesting difference between American and European/Asian drills, the American ones normally have the handle grip at 90 degrees to the drill body whereas the European/Asian ones are at an angle.

There are arguments for both being better but I think it comes down to personal preference.

This is not exactly woodworking but I use a lot of my woodworking tools to do this so I thought I would be allowed to post this here.

At the end of last year, I dipped my toes into a new craft after watching 200 hours of YouTube videos.  Obviously after the YouTube videos I was an expert in this new craft after having done zero actual crafting…

The project in mind was a big one so I decided to start with something small before I screw up the big project.  First off, I had to get the material for my project.  I came across this lovely little shop in Cape Town that even have Wood in their name, Woodheads, another reason I am allowed to post this.  I bought some off-cut pieces for cheap cheap and decided I will make myself a wallet before I start the big project.  I wanted a card holder more that a wallet that can take a lot of bank notes and coins, I don’t really use cash anymore.

post-55150-0-97244900-1591269193_thumb.jpg

The first one I made was not quite what I wanted so I had to go to Instagram for some ideas.  

post-55150-0-31882100-1591269262_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-44298700-1591269275_thumb.jpg

Got some inspiration and made a template for the new one.  This is more of what I had in mind for about 4 -  6 cards.  The leather was a bit to thin and it was chrome tan leather and not veg tan but the idea was there. 

post-55150-0-58319700-1591269301_thumb.jpg

Now I was even more qualified in this new craft and decided to start the big project.  I will post that a bit later.  In the meantime, I refined my wallets a bit and came up with a new but similar design and I used thicker more sturdy leather for this. 

post-55150-0-79590400-1591269539_thumb.jpg

The one wallet can take about 6 cards and one or two bank notes, this one I call the Chunky Boy. 

post-55150-0-55501200-1591269589_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-00397500-1591269616_thumb.jpg

The other one can 4 cards and some note, this one is the Slim Line.

post-55150-0-23469200-1591269656_thumb.jpg

I ended up making a toiletry bag or 2 as well.

post-55150-0-65873400-1591269756_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-54720700-1591269775_thumb.jpg

This is not exactly woodworking but I use a lot of my woodworking tools to do this so I thought I would be allowed to post this here.

At the end of last year, I dipped my toes into a new craft after watching 200 hours of YouTube videos.  Obviously after the YouTube videos I was an expert in this new craft after having done zero actual crafting…

The project in mind was a big one so I decided to start with something small before I screw up the big project.  First off, I had to get the material for my project.  I came across this lovely little shop in Cape Town that even have Wood in their name, Woodheads, another reason I am allowed to post this.  I bought some off-cut pieces for cheap cheap and decided I will make myself a wallet before I start the big project.  I wanted a card holder more that a wallet that can take a lot of bank notes and coins, I don’t really use cash anymore.

attachicon.gifIMG_1702.JPG

The first one I made was not quite what I wanted so I had to go to Instagram for some ideas.  

attachicon.gifIMG_1703.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1705.JPG

Got some inspiration and made a template for the new one.  This is more of what I had in mind for about 4 -  6 cards.  The leather was a bit to thin and it was chrome tan leather and not veg tan but the idea was there. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1711.JPG

Now I was even more qualified in this new craft and decided to start the big project.  I will post that a bit later.  In the meantime, I refined my wallets a bit and came up with a new but similar design and I used thicker more sturdy leather for this. 

attachicon.gifIMG_E2227.JPG

The one wallet can take about 6 cards and one or two bank notes, this one I call the Chunky Boy. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2287.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2289.JPG

The other one can 4 cards and some note, this one is the Slim Line.

attachicon.gifIMG_2212.JPG

I ended up making a toiletry bag or 2 as well.

attachicon.gifIMG_2205.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2209.JPG

Dude, those are mint!

So glad to find another leather head on here. :clap: And yes, you are welcome to post here. I've pushed the envelope with leather and people seemed to be OK with it.

Oh, and those loitery (intended) bags are bloody difficult things to get right, I'm impressed! :thumbup:

Woodheads is the oldest shop in Cape Town that still functions and belong to the same family. Since somewhere in the 1800s if I remember right. In my head right on par with a few bike shops in terms of coolness.

How did you inscribe / imprint your signature like that? I really like the look of it!

Any woodworkers who prefer to use, or like to use hand tools?

LeTurbo is a master at it.

So have been busy for couple of weeks. Had some old veneer sheets lying around......

Not only does it look good, I'm sure it sounds fantastic :thumbup: