Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

The base of my workbench is done (maybe I'll add a shelf later) and I added some retractable castors.  Maybe you can use the design for your bench / machines.

That is really nice! Castors on big items is a necessity when you have a small space to work in, but I hate the slight rocking that it introduces. This is a very good alternative. 

On a side note, how did you decide on what type of bench you want to build? My goal is to build a moravian style workbench at some point. The bench can be disassembled if it needs to be moved. 

post-84485-0-71324900-1591965570_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note, how did you decide on what type of bench you want to build? My goal is to build a moravian style workbench at some point. The bench can be disassembled if it needs to be moved. 

attachicon.giff3a1346f330cb2b676a848d0db6ecdd5.jpg

After doing some planing on my mobile workbench I realised I need a HEAVY one to stand still for hand planing, and I love the look of the Roubo.  But yes,I will probably need 4 people to pick it up should I decide to move house one day. 

After doing some planing on my mobile workbench I realised I need a HEAVY one to stand still for hand planing, and I love the look of the Roubo.  But yes,I will probably need 4 people to pick it up should I decide to move house one day. 

Its funny how using a hand plane tells you very quickly that you need a HEAVY workbench!

Its the reason I built mine so heavy from the start.

I will still make a split top Roubo at some stage, its still the best design and most functional bench I have seen.

Rails not really issue that you just use locknut and don't super tighten it. Only issue if you use it extended periods clamped to drill. That section will not be happy (extended 3-6months clamped tight constantly) but it's not super expensive to reprint just some more time mostly.

I have a knife sharpener from CNC kitchen design that has deformed due to constant clamp. I'll have to reprint parts of it.

Router project on hold at the moment class started again! it's so close to done and yet I have to watch with longing eyes.

I'll see how it holds up, I have some ABS, but the printer needs some setting up to be able to print it and it is a bit cold at the moment. 

The part will not have high loads on it or prolonged loads it is meant to slide smoothly on the rails. 

Rails not really issue that you just use locknut and don't super tighten it. Only issue if you use it extended periods clamped to drill. That section will not be happy (extended 3-6months clamped tight constantly) but it's not super expensive to reprint just some more time mostly.

I have a knife sharpener from CNC kitchen design that has deformed due to constant clamp. I'll have to reprint parts of it.

Router project on hold at the moment class started again! it's so close to done and yet I have to watch with longing eyes.

Ah okay that makes sense, thanks for the heads-up. My tolerances were a bit tight so I need to either reprint or see if I can sand it down slightly.

Ah okay that makes sense, thanks for the heads-up. My tolerances were a bit tight so I need to either reprint or see if I can sand it down slightly.

You can drill/file/sand PLA easy. Dremel has become one of my most used tools in workshop recently.

Adapt your design reprint if material use not issue or walls less than 4-6.

Usually I print super fast 100m/s(rough draft 0.28mm) till part shape and fit close to right design, then ill do refined print at 50m/s 0.16mm.

So somehow Router table got worked on anyways, 2 holes and 2 welds and ill be ready for first testing! Its cold and rainy so I stopped for the day. Should be able to test mechanism tomorrow.

So, following my previous post on my leather craft journey, the big project I had in mind was to make myself a leather gym bag.

Chrome tanned leather, the gentleman at Woodheads said they call it bag leather, because it is used to make……. bags.  I did not know if he was talking nonsense or not, but I liked the look of the leather and the price, so I was happy.

post-55150-0-58040800-1592845622_thumb.jpg

This bag took me the whole December and most of January to finish.  There was a lot of mistakes and redoes but, it was my first leather bag I made, and I was happy with the result.  It ended up being way to big for a gym bag, so it turned into my weekend bag.

post-55150-0-25745600-1592845633_thumb.jpg

I used some old jeans for the lining.....

And the finish project.

post-55150-0-60107600-1592845640_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-93442800-1592845647_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-26281100-1592845657_thumb.jpg

There is much I would do different if I had to do it all over again, so I made my girlfriend a bag as well.  This bag was actually my lockdown project and I was lucky to have bought all the stuff I needed for this just before lockdown stared.  I change the entire design of the bag and the type of leather used for this.  I used a chrome tanned leather that was veg re-tanned.  This gives the leather much more rigidity but still soft and pliable.

Some photos of the process.

post-55150-0-73717500-1592845846_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-66019100-1592845817_thumb.jpg

I had to do a makeshift setup to cut the excess leather off the handles and keep the cut 90degrees.  I used an old wooden plane blade to make the cuts and i wedged the handle in between the cutting board and a piece of wood to keep it aligned.  

post-55150-0-82391800-1592845836_thumb.jpg

Finished handle.

post-55150-0-17326800-1592845857_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-00646100-1592846260_thumb.jpg

Obviously I had to add my branding...…

post-55150-0-13526300-1592846277_thumb.jpg

And sometime during stage 5 of lockdown this ended up as the finished product.

post-55150-0-03235700-1592846289_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-02004300-1592846299_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-35717000-1592846313_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-31468100-1592846326_thumb.jpg

post-55150-0-05720700-1592846337_thumb.jpg

So, following my previous post on my leather craft journey, the big project I had in mind was to make myself a leather gym bag.

Chrome tanned leather, the gentleman at Woodheads said they call it bag leather, because it is used to make……. bags.  I did not know if he was talking nonsense or not, but I liked the look of the leather and the price, so I was happy.

This bag took me the whole December and most of January to finish.  There was a lot of mistakes and redoes but, it was my first leather bag I made, and I was happy with the result.  It ended up being way to big for a gym bag, so it turned into my weekend bag.

And the finish project.

There is much I would do different if I had to do it all over again, so I made my girlfriend a bag as well.  This bag was actually my lockdown project and I was lucky to have bought all the stuff I needed for this just before lockdown stared.  I change the entire design of the bag and the type of leather used for this.  I used a chrome tanned leather that was veg re-tanned.  This gives the leather much more rigidity but still soft and pliable.

I had to do a makeshift setup to cut the excess leather off the handles and keep the cut 90degrees.  I used an old wooden plane blade to make the cuts and i wedged the handle in between the cutting board and a piece of wood to keep it aligned. 

Finished handle.

Spectacular!

Chrome tanned leather, the gentleman at Woodheads said they call it bag leather, because it is used to make……. bags. I did not know if he was talking nonsense or not, but I liked the look of the leather and the price, so I was happy.

IMG_1764.JPG

This bag took me the whole December and most of January to finish. There was a lot of mistakes and redoes but, it was my first leather bag I made, and I was happy with the result. It ended up being way to big for a gym bag, so it turned into my weekend bag.

IMG_1806.JPG

And the finish project.

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

There is much I would do different if I had to do it all over again, so I made my girlfriend a bag as well. This bag was actually my lockdown project and I was lucky to have bought all the stuff I needed for this just before lockdown stared. I change the entire design of the bag and the type of leather used for this. I used a chrome tanned leather that was veg re-tanned. This gives the leather much more rigidity but still soft and pliable.

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

I had to do a makeshift setup to cut the excess leather off the handles and keep the cut 90degrees. I used an old wooden plane blade to make the cuts and i wedged the handle in between the cutting board and a piece of wood to keep it aligned.

IMG_2125.JPG

Finished handle.

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2170.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

Wow, man. Nice one! Out of interest, what did the leather itself set you back?