Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Auckland has been in lockdown for the past 3 weeks, and with my building work done, and hardware stores only operating on contactless click-and-collect, I found myself with free time this past weekend so decided to try build a basic postbox (yes, like a Grade 8 high school woodwork type project :lol: )with some scraps of 12mm ply I had lying around.

Now I'm no master craftsman. Just a desk-jockey with a few tools and some curiosity.

Here's the journey so far...

First I whipped up a quick 3D design in AutoCAD.

Then the actual work started

post-10758-0-49636500-1598820922_thumb.jpg
With no table saw, it was down o the track saw to do all the cutting. Takes a bit longer, but the results were pretty decent. It was also a challenge to get all the pieces I needed out of the off shaped scraps I had.

post-10758-0-09476800-1598820966_thumb.jpg

Decided to try a little back bevel on the edges for aesthetics. Forgive the burn marks, my feeding of the track saw was a little slow in spots.

post-10758-0-16066200-1598821310_thumb.jpg

Assembled and ready for varnishing.

Now that we're finally out of lockdown, I can go source a piano hinge for the door at the back. Maybe some numbers for the front.

Auckland has been in lockdown for the past 3 weeks, and with my building work done, and hardware stores only operating on contactless click-and-collect, I found myself with free time this past weekend so decided to try build a basic postbox (yes, like a Grade 8 high school woodwork type project :lol: )with some scraps of 12mm ply I had lying around.

Now I'm no master craftsman. Just a desk-jockey with a few tools and some curiosity.

attachicon.gifIMG-20200829-WA0001.jpg

With no table saw, it was down o the track saw to do all the cutting. Takes a bit longer, but the results were pretty decent. It was also a challenge to get all the pieces I needed out of the off shaped scraps I had.

attachicon.gifIMG-20200829-WA0010.jpg

Decided to try a little back bevel on the edges for aesthetics. Forgive the burn marks, my feeding of the track saw was a little slow in spots.

attachicon.gif20200829_165939.jpg

Now that we're finally out of lockdown, I can go source a piano hinge for the door at the back. Maybe some numbers for the front.

Very cool design. The best projects are the ones that you had to work around issues or not having the correct tools to get them done.

I love being able to see projects I have made each day when leaving/arriving at home.

I recently restored a No 8 plane I picked up a while ago. I had to make a new tote and thus also made a matching knob as well.

It almost make the No 7 look small in comparisson!

I can't believe how much quicker and easier it is to get a big piece of wood flat and square with this compared to grandpa's No 7 - i really did not think it would be such a big difference.

post-50518-0-68111500-1598856849_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-54122600-1598856861_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-47428900-1598856878_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-48520700-1598856895_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-39331700-1598856909_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-58691300-1598856919_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-82001700-1598856931_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-14325500-1598856948_thumb.jpg

Before:

post-50518-0-77131900-1598856978_thumb.jpg

I recently restored a No 8 plane I picked up a while ago. I had to make a new tote and thus also made a matching knob as well.

I can't believe how much quicker and easier it is to get a big piece of wood flat and square with this compared to grandpa's No 7 - i really did not think it would be such a big difference.

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 1.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 2.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 3.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 4.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 5.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 6.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 7.jpg

attachicon.gifNr 7 en 8 Skaaf.jpg

Before:

attachicon.gifNr 8 Skaaf 8.jpg

Nice, I have a No8 Plane that needs restoring, new tote aswell,  I'm Just waiting on another project to be completed ( awaiting for some CNC routing work to be done at work ) so I have some Ash off-cut to play with for the tote.

The plane is my Grandads, 

Before:

Absolutely amazing job! that is probably the best restoration I have seen. 

Now I really want to drag my no8 out and see if it can be saved, its heavily pitted so probably not.

Nice, I have a No8 Plane that needs restoring, new tote aswell,  I'm Just waiting on another project to be completed ( awaiting for some CNC routing work to be done at work ) so I have some Ash off-cut to play with for the tote.

The plane is my Grandads, 

It always starts with restoring Grandad's old plane and then gets a little out of hand from there!!

Was the same thing with mr Carrera4s and I, he is just a lot better at restoring these days than I am :)

It always starts with restoring Grandad's old plane and then gets a little out of hand from there!!

Was the same thing with mr Carrera4s and I, he is just a lot better at restoring these days than I am :)

Yeah, I kinda get that addiction. its the kind where the AA meeting encourage you to be more addicted.. 

Before:

No 8 ryskaaf ! Pragtig gedoen!

I was a skinny kid all my life till I discovered beer, but before then our woodwork teacher used to have quite a laugh when it was my turn to plane the long plants with the No7 or 8.

I had to set the depth so shallow to get it going and then had to work hard to get to the line. Now, I can thourgh it around like a champ.

attachicon.gifIMG-20200829-WA0001.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20200829-WA0010.jpg

attachicon.gif20200829_165939.jpg

Am I the only one disapointed that the 3D model was not shown with the new postbox 

Absolutely amazing job! that is probably the best restoration I have seen. 

Now I really want to drag my no8 out and see if it can be saved, its heavily pitted so probably not.

The Record No 8 I picked up at a second-hand store end up having a crack on one corner of the mouth. So basically not fixable. As soon as a tighten the blade down the crack opens up. Did not see the crack when I inspected it at the store.

The Record No 8 I picked up at a second-hand store end up having a crack on one corner of the mouth. So basically not fixable. As soon as a tighten the blade down the crack opens up. Did not see the crack when I inspected it at the store.

Man that sucks. I got mine as part of a bunch of random planes, there were about 40 of them in that batch...

Unfortunately it was badly rusted, some of those pits are really deep. I got hold of it with a belt sander to see what was underneath but its not looking good.

Man that sucks. I got mine as part of a bunch of random planes, there were about 40 of them in that batch...

Unfortunately it was badly rusted, some of those pits are really deep. I got hold of it with a belt sander to see what was underneath but its not looking good.

Yes well. Gives me an excuse to buy a Lie-Nielsen no 8. One day maybe. When I can afford it. Probably when pigs fly.  :mellow:

Try and get it welded, or brazed at least if you can't find a competent welder.