Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Okay so I've decided to purchase a new circular saw whilst the table saw is benched for the moment.

Currently looking at the following on Facebook Marketplace for around R2000:

- Bosch PKS 66 A Green (1600W | 190mm)

- Ryobi W-2400 Industrial (2400W | 235mm)

- Dewalt DWE560 (1350W | 165mm)

I quite like the Bosch and Dewalt units as they are smaller and more compact, but the Ryobi is a beast of a unit, but I also don't think that I need that much capability for the moment.

Anything else I should be looking at, up to around R3000?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try This Guy

I did not buy anything from him yet but he sells allot of quality stuff on FB at competitive prices.

Okay so I've decided to purchase a new circular saw whilst the table saw is benched for the moment.

I quite like the Bosch and Dewalt units as they are smaller and more compact, but the Ryobi is a beast of a unit, but I also don't think that I need that much capability for the moment.

post-23262-0-39676200-1603261835_thumb.jpeg

I was on a bit of a holiday, so I missed this post.

Unfortunately, to my best knowledge we don't have such services. I would definitely subscribe to it though!

Anyhow, the table saw itch is still itching, even though I have no clue where I'm gonna put it...

Tools4wood is busy putting one together at the moment with woodwork specific machinery. Looks like its going to be really nice.

I have a Makita 235mm circ saw, its just too big and heavy for most of the tasks you would want one for. The only time its been really useful was for making cuts through beams without needing to rotate 4 times.

I have some 2" thick by 5" to 9" wide kiaat that I would like to get re-sawn with a band saw and put through a planer thicknesser.

Any suggestions of who would do this commercially in the Jhb area?

I have some 2" thick by 5" to 9" wide kiaat that I would like to get re-sawn with a band saw and put through a planer thicknesser.

Any suggestions of who would do this commercially in the Jhb area?

DM me your contact details, I can get it done.  Not on a bandsaw, but I have access to the right machinery.  I'm in Alberton.

Do they have "Men's Sheds" in your area, or some other form of community membership workshop?

I'm a member at one in my area. They have an awesome workshop with all the woodwork tools I could ever need, including a nice new R100,000 Sawstop cabinet saw.

For about R1000/yr and a 5min drive, it keeps me from buying expensive tools I really don't need to own.

That said, I still want to get the jobsite saw for home :lol:

saw this pop-up on FB

tools4wood diy workshop

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst it's not so much woodwork in the artistic sense, I decided to make use of the swanky circle saw track setup that I bought during lockdown, and built myself some cupboards and workspace in the garage. Previously I would have drawn up everything, created cutting lists and went to Builders Warehouse for them to chop everything up on my behalf. This time, I just bought a bunch of sheets and went to town - and it was fantastic. If I screwed up, or realised that I wanted to change something, I just cut a sheet myself and reorganised. 

ewgROvO.jpg

HH2HOFy.jpg

he3Z5HS.jpg

The great thing is when you have overlapping hobbies. I dabble a bit with 3D Printing, which gave me the idea to quickly mock up and print a drilling template for the euro hinges I used on the cabinets. 15 mins of design time, 1 hour of printing and a full R3.12 in material later, I can nail my door installs without any hassle.

9XXwHqp.jpg

sqWUmVw.jpg

nqtPXop.jpg

I also thought that it might be time to reward myself, with a new compound sliding mitre saw to replace the cheap-ass Ryobi I had - what a difference a good saw makes. I actually cannot believe how much better this thing is than what I had.

YIZ9YRI.jpg

And then I'm also in the process of building a fold-up work table to create some more surface in the garage - hopefully it works out as planned

Ts54zqK.jpg

nYLdRiy.jpg

Yesterday I had a run-in with the AEG rep at my local Bunnings (Aussie/Kiwi "Builder's Warehouse").

I may have been looking for trouble, as I knew it was the annual AEG promotion day. But still, knowingly I tempted fate, and my wallet ended up taking a beating.

On the upside though, I walked away with minor scrapes, bruising and:

c60cc77d-dd03-4a4e-8de2-0381cf1fbb3c.jpg

An 18V brushless 15 gauge nail gun

full_2ce6ca87-462f-4f9e-bd66-d85d025d602

An 18V brushless planer

04c01aec-2486-4a0a-8ccb-965eb669f8ab.jpg

A hybrid (18V and 240V) LED work light. (Super handy. I used to have one, but it bugged out after getting rained on while I was braaing :ph34r: )

Although I didn't get ANY discount on the above items...

They did throw the following in for free (valued at around R6500 retail)

• 2x 3Ah 18V Force High Density batteries
  • Tripod for work light
  • Tool box
  • Impact driver bit set
  • Recip saw blades
  • T-shirt
  • Cap
  • Builder's pencils and markers

So despite some poor financial decisions, I think I came off ok. It could have been worse  :ph34r:  :lol:

Edited by patches

Yesterday I had a run-in with the AEG rep at my local Bunnings (Aussie/Kiwi "Builder's Warehouse").

I may have been looking for trouble, as I knew it was the annual AEG promotion day. But still, knowingly I tempted fate, and my wallet ended up taking a beating.

On the upside though, I walked away with minor scrapes, bruising and:

c60cc77d-dd03-4a4e-8de2-0381cf1fbb3c.jpg

An 18V brushless 15 gauge nail gun

full_2ce6ca87-462f-4f9e-bd66-d85d025d602

An 18V brushless planer

04c01aec-2486-4a0a-8ccb-965eb669f8ab.jpg

A hybrid (18V and 240V) LED work light. (Super handy. I used to have one, but it bugged out after getting rained on while I was braaing :ph34r: )

Although I didn't get ANY discount on the above items...

They did throw the following in for free (valued at around R6500 retail)

• 2x 3Ah 18V Force High Density batteries
  • Tripod for work light
  • Tool box
  • Impact driver bit set
  • Recip saw blades
  • T-shirt
  • Cap
  • Builder's pencils and markers

So despite some poor financial decisions, I think I came off ok. It could have been worse  :ph34r:  :lol:

I like AEG tools, I think you got a pretty good deal there.

It helps that you now have more batteries for the rest of your AEG tools that you already had.

Whilst it's not so much woodwork in the artistic sense, I decided to make use of the swanky circle saw track setup that I bought during lockdown, and built myself some cupboards and workspace in the garage. Previously I would have drawn up everything, created cutting lists and went to Builders Warehouse for them to chop everything up on my behalf. This time, I just bought a bunch of sheets and went to town - and it was fantastic. If I screwed up, or realised that I wanted to change something, I just cut a sheet myself and reorganised..... 

Nicely Done Bertusras,

How did you edge the boards after cutting?

Maybe add another hinge (or 2) on that tall door?  I think 3 might be struggling a bit in the long run.

Edited by carrera4s

Nicely Done Bertusras,

Maybe add another hinge (or 2) on that tall door?  I think 3 might be struggling a bit in the long run.

Thanks!

I've not yet edged the boards, as my edging strip roll is actually with a friend at the moment. It will just be normal melamine edging, and I've got a nice trimmer thing which clamps across the board so it makes a perfect square cut.

I have already provided for the 4th hinge on the tall door, but unfortunately I miscounted when I bought so ended up short one - it will get installed this weekend. Good eye though, thanks!

Nicely Done Bertusras,

Come now, you cant post in here without any update pics on your workbench!!

:)

I like AEG tools, I think you got a pretty good deal there.

It helps that you now have more batteries for the rest of your AEG tools that you already had.

It's a viscous cycle. I started off with a drill + 2x battery combo kit. It was a slippery slope into full on investment into the AEG platform, which means more tools, some of which came with bonus batteries, which required even MORE tools to make use of the batteries  :ph34r: :lol:

That said, I have a number of corded Makita tools, and would like the cordless versions, but can't bring myself to invest in another battery platform...

so I got a Ridgid (AEG) to Makita battery adaptor (off Aliexpress). I am yet to try it, but it could open up whole new avenues into financial irresponsibility  :ph34r: :lol:

Come now, you cant post in here without any update pics on your workbench!!

:)

Soon!  Just give me a day or three!  Just finishing off two small trimmings and apply some preliminary finish.

Maybe just a teaser or two...

Bench top glue-up (one of the many top glue-ups!):

post-50518-0-79403500-1605619308_thumb.jpg

Wedged Tenons glued in place:

post-50518-0-51701600-1605619321_thumb.jpg

Levelling the top:

post-50518-0-85128800-1605619370_thumb.jpg