Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

so you need a 3D printer to replace a chisel?

:P

jibes aside, that's pretty neat

Did you design the end cap yourself? Its a cool idea.

Oh Takums, the damage I would cause to myself with a chisel is far greater than it needs to be...

I did, but obviously it was a very simple and straightforward design.

Cant wait to get going on the little Ender 3 I have on the way.

However, before the fun stuff, I have to model up and print a replacement part for my dishwasher, which I broke during the kitchen reno  :ph34r:

After that It'll be fun stuff! Keen to print templates to make routing easier and other woodworking activities easier and more accurate.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant wait to get going on the little Ender 3 I have on the way.

However, before the fun stuff, I have to model up and print a replacement part for my dishwasher, which I broke during the kitchen reno  :ph34r:

After that It'll be fun stuff! Keen to print templates to make routing easier and other woodworking activities easier and more accurate.

When you get your printer, watch a video or two on printer setup and calibration. I find the Teaching Tech and Chep's youtube channels to be informative when it comes to 3D printers, Chep does most of his videos on the Ender3, you can also download his Cura profiles from his website so you don't need to play around with the slicer settings. Do the calibration prints (temp tower, bed leveling X and calibration cube) it will save you some headache in the future. 

When you get your printer, watch a video or two on printer setup and calibration. I find the Teaching Tech and Chep's youtube channels to be informative when it comes to 3D printers, Chep does most of his videos on the Ender3, you can also download his Cura profiles from his website so you don't need to play around with the slicer settings. Do the calibration prints (temp tower, bed leveling X and calibration cube) it will save you some headache in the future. 

Teaching Tech is great, it seems most of the 3D printing Youtuber's I follow are Aussies.

Chep is good too, I just find him to be a little drawn out with info and get annoyed with the slow pace.

So I was strolling through the co-op the other day......

attachicon.gif20201215_142600.jpg

No.  I kid you not.

Needless to say, my arsenal grew by a random orbital sander........................

That is a really good price for a great sander.

I have been using the same one for a few years now and its a little champ.

Teaching Tech is great, it seems most of the 3D printing Youtuber's I follow are Aussies.

Chep is good too, I just find him to be a little drawn out with info and get annoyed with the slow pace.

Yeah, I commute to work (about 45min via bus, each way) and I use the time to watch Youtube vids on either woodwork, 3D printers or tools in general.

I've watched the Teaching Tech one on the Ender 3 v2, as well as how to upgrade it to a low-budget CR10 equiv. I'll be sure to check out more vids from him and Chep before I even think about clicking print :lol:

On the topic of Youtube educations...

I'm a huge fan of AvE's tool tear-downs. The guy is crass, unrefined, but so knowledgeable about all sorts of things, and can laugh at himself. If you want to laugh, and don't mind some cussing, check him out.

On the woodworking front, I watch content by Chris Salomone (Foureyes), Jonathan Katz-Moses and Bourbon Moth, amongst others.

I especially like Chris Salomone's calm, detailed explanations, as well as his design style.

attachicon.gif20201215_142600.jpg

No.  I kid you not.

Needless to say, my arsenal grew by a random orbital sander........................

That's an insanely good price! Those are about 4-5x the price from my local.

20201215_142600.jpg

No. I kid you not.

Wow. That's a bargain.

I just bought the exact same one from takealot for R1399 last week. I did have R650 in ebucks to spend though so I only really paid R750 for it.

First impressions are that it seems like a really well put together little unit.

I'm a huge fan of AvE's tool tear-downs. The guy is crass, unrefined, but so knowledgeable about all sorts of things, and can laugh at himself. If you want to laugh, and don't mind some cussing, check him out.

On the woodworking front, I watch content by Chris Salomone (Foureyes), Jonathan Katz-Moses and Bourbon Moth, amongst others.

I especially like Chris Salomone's calm, detailed explanations, as well as his design style.

AvE is a skookum choocher, that guy makes me laugh. He has ridiculous amounts of knowledge around tools though, working in Canadian mines will do that.

Jonathan Katz-Moses is incredibly talented, he has some really cool ways of doing things.

I dont mind Chris Salamone, but I find his pace a little slow at times.

Strangely I only recently found Bourbon Moth, he has some cool projects and some really bad dad jokes!

AvE is a skookum choocher, that guy makes me laugh. He has ridiculous amounts of knowledge around tools though, working in Canadian mines will do that.

Jonathan Katz-Moses is incredibly talented, he has some really cool ways of doing things.

I dont mind Chris Salamone, but I find his pace a little slow at times.

Strangely I only recently found Bourbon Moth, he has some cool projects and some really bad dad jokes!

If you are into woodworking with hand-tools I can recommend Wood by Wright 2, it's his second channel where he describes his work throughout the video. 

If you are into woodworking with hand-tools I can recommend Wood by Wright 2, it's his second channel where he describes his work throughout the video. 

James is a weird guy but he has skills. His approach reminds me a bit of Chop with Chris, also hand tool exclusive.

Some Friday night progress on the chopping board

post-10758-0-36591500-1608501046_thumb.jpg

The Men's Shed is closed for the year, so I had to bust out the track saw. In the right situations it makes for a pretty good table-saw alternative. Some slight burning at the start of the bevelled cut, but that was user error  :ph34r:

post-10758-0-55732800-1608501218_thumb.jpg

The Diablo 40T gives a great finish.

Finished sanding and added some butcher's block oil (fancy name for paraffin).

post-10758-0-64966300-1608586955_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-02637200-1608586963_thumb.jpg

A little more red-ish than I'd like, but it may go away as the oil soaks in and dries out a bit.

Overall though, pretty happy.

One of the most versatile but often overlooked tools. The humble router!

I'm still pretty novice when it comes to router skills, but I keep fining more and more uses for it to make simple tasks neater/easier.

This past weekend I wanted to mount put a Sonos One smart speaker on a shelf in the kitchen, but wanted the power cable to be hidden.

Router to the rescue!

post-10758-0-69703800-1608588623_thumb.jpg

Bottom on the shelf

post-10758-0-62275800-1608588720_thumb.jpg

Underside of the shelf. Excuse the messy handiwork. I had to route out a recess so that the cable isn't pinched when this sits on top of the cabinetry.

post-10758-0-15528500-1608588783_thumb.jpg

Getting power from the adjacent cupboard where the range-hood lives.

post-10758-0-63917700-1608588744_thumb.jpg

Shelf in place. Looks like it was designed that way.

post-10758-0-38995100-1608589038_thumb.jpg

Simple job. Could have used a drill, but the overall finish of the router looks way better.

Keen to hear any handy router uses, tips and tricks you guys may have come across over the years.

Edited by patches

jUSqyIe.jpg

Underside of the shelf. Excuse the messy handiwork. I had to route out a recess so that the cable isn't pinched when this sits on top of the cabinetry.

I love this so much  :clap:

Nice work patches.

A bit off topic, but I thought DIY wasn't allowed over there? At least I know Aus is quite strict in some areas, you aren't even allowed to change a light bulb, the sparky has to do it.