Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I've been installing some Elfa hanging shelving/racking in the study, to make a home office space that can be adapted in the future (when the study may need to change into a nursery or kids room).

Something like this:

attachicon.gifIMG-20210118-WA0004.jpg

The Elfa system is awesome, adaptable and well made, but really hurts the wallet.

For our 3300mm long wall we'd need 5x 610Wx 525D desktops. They retail for $140ea (around R1500).

So in stead I decided a hack was in order. I procured 2 sheets of 2200x600x25mm oak vaneered furniture making ply.

Trimmed them down to 500mm deep and 1650mm wide with the track saw. Then to compensate for the lack of clipping brackets (which the Elfa desktops have), I routed in some 12x12mm slots, lined up at precisely to suit the 610mm centres (one of the Elfa standard configs) so that the support brackets press-fit into them.

attachicon.gifIMG-20210118-WA0008.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20210118-WA0009.jpg

By no means is this skilled or fine work, BUT I can highly recommend a track saw and some of the accessories available for them, especially for those who don't want to invest money or space into a table saw.

I used the router adaptor for the track so that I could quickly and accurately route straight lines without clamps/jigs, etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

(One of these)

There are also a lot of 3D printable accessories for Makita (and Festool) tracks on Thingiverse.

Very nice; If you can achieve neatness of first pic; excellent!!

I know you know but I made my own desk with steel legs and kitchen counter Formica 600 x 1800mm.  Top has a bullnose on one edge but top only.  Both sides of the edge you work against need a radius of some sort for comfort.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha kudos for being one of the minority that actually turns a wood pallet into something.

For every one of you, there are dozens who have pallets rotting in their yard with the best of intentions. I was one of those  :ph34r: :lol:

38motj.jpg

ce4717790bc65647975c3a5ce28bd78c.jpg

My wife used to work for a merchandising company and their warehouse always had excess pallets, they used break them up and some of the staff used to take it home for fires. She spoke to the manager in charge and he kept some completes ones aside for us. I went there and loaded my bakkie up as high as I could stack, twice. They fit perfectly into the back of the bakkie. I have made so much stuff with all that wood but it is now pretty much finished and she no longer works there. I priced pallets end of last year and almost cried, they so expensive.

The amount of hours I have spent stripping pallets is insane. I have a HTH bucket that is almost full of the nails as I try to strip the pallets as nice as possible.

Okay well so I have more or less finished the project that I was working on which required all the building of other things earlier in the thread. Like they say, it often takes longer building the machine that builds the machine.

I've been delaying posting pictures as I wanted to style it first to show exactly how it's supposed to look and what the purpose of it is, but whatever.

I don't even know what to call it, but here is my Ash Magazine Stand Pot Plant Holder Thingy. It has space to place some coffee table books/magazines, and space on the side for an indoor plant of some sorts.

jmfTLCA.jpg

MYQ1fNH.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's mine (actually it will probably become my mother's as I have literally no space for it)

I still need to oil it, but I'm still struggling to decide what, and from where. Most online resources advise Danish Oil for Ash, but notes that it yellows with time. As there are some experts here, what would you suggest?

Build photos and issues to come...

Okay well so I have more or less finished the project that I was working on which required all the building of other things earlier in the thread. Like they say, it often takes longer building the machine that builds the machine.

I've been delaying posting pictures as I wanted to style it first to show exactly how it's supposed to look and what the purpose of it is, but whatever.

I don't even know what to call it, but here is my Ash Magazine Stand Pot Plant Holder Thingy. It has space to place some coffee table books/magazines, and space on the side for an indoor plant of some sorts.

jmfTLCA.jpg

MYQ1fNH.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's mine (actually it will probably become my mother's as I have literally no space for it)

I still need to oil it, but I'm still struggling to decide what, and from where. Most online resources advise Danish Oil for Ash, but notes that it yellows with time. As there are some experts here, what would you suggest?

An interior teak oil will be sufficient for the indoor application you intend it for. Over time the wood will take on a richer colour (some yellowing/honey) but that's the appeal of working with the lighter woods and their tendencies to age in that manner.

Edit: I just remembered that I read in Wood Magazine some years ago that in the US they often do a sanding sealer followed by furtniture wax. The US does have proper seasonal swings and this application apparently prevents warping and structural problems over time

Edited by Ed-Zulu

My wife used to work for a merchandising company and their warehouse always had excess pallets, they used break them up and some of the staff used to take it home for fires. She spoke to the manager in charge and he kept some completes ones aside for us. I went there and loaded my bakkie up as high as I could stack, twice. They fit perfectly into the back of the bakkie. I have made so much stuff with all that wood but it is now pretty much finished and she no longer works there. I priced pallets end of last year and almost cried, they so expensive.

The amount of hours I have spent stripping pallets is insane. I have a HTH bucket that is almost full of the nails as I try to strip the pallets as nice as possible.

Izzy Swan made a cool pry-bar out of wood for breaking pallets up nicely, you should go check it out

jmfTLCA.jpg

MYQ1fNH.jpg

When in doubt, Woodoc 10.

Danish oil will turn yellow eventually, and can make lighter coloured wood almost look like pine.

Also, worth considering, Rubio monocoat (natural or smoke5%) will remain light.

When in doubt, Woodoc 10.

Why the Velvet over the Matt (5), serious question as I don't know.

I still have some offcuts that I can test on at least.

Why the Velvet over the Matt (5), serious question as I don't know.

I still have some offcuts that I can test on at least.

Used it once, and had good result, so never really bothered to go for a matt finish on wood. Although the Rubio gives a matt finish which is quite nice, and the easiest to apply.

There actually is a 3D Printing Thread

Unfortunately I can't help you on this. I've only printed with PLA and PETG and have a stock standard Bowden extruder.

haha thanks!

I did search, but seems I used the wrong term.

These were the results that "3D Printer" yielded.

post-10758-0-01006900-1611267716_thumb.png

"3D Printing" however yields way better results. Some good stuff on the thread you referenced. Thanks!

Very nice; If you can achieve neatness of first pic; excellent!!

I know you know but I made my own desk with steel legs and kitchen counter Formica 600 x 1800mm.  Top has a bullnose on one edge but top only.  Both sides of the edge you work against need a radius of some sort for comfort.

The old form vs function compromise.

Whilst I like the look of sharp square edges, Comfort and damage resistance are important, so I ran a 3mm roundover bit on the trim router past the front top & bottom edges.

I may run a 5mm if the 3mm isn't enough.

By no means is this skilled or fine work, BUT I can highly recommend a track saw and some of the accessories available for them, especially for those who don't want to invest money or space into a table saw.

I used the router adaptor for the track so that I could quickly and accurately route straight lines without clamps/jigs, etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

(One of these)

There are also a lot of 3D printable accessories for Makita (and Festool) tracks on Thingiverse.

That is really cool, its always a bit of a nightmare to route channels on smaller pieces with the standard fence.

Something I found recently which is awesome is this guide rail from Adendorff: https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/mac-afric-professional-aluminium-quick-clamp-cutting-edge-guide/

It makes some of those tasks a lot easier if you dont have a tracksaw or tracks.

jmfTLCA.jpg

MYQ1fNH.jpg

Very nicely done!

Danish oil, always! I love that stuff, its so easy to apply and man does it make the grain pop.

That is really cool, its always a bit of a nightmare to route channels on smaller pieces with the standard fence.

Something I found recently which is awesome is this guide rail from Adendorff: https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/mac-afric-professional-aluminium-quick-clamp-cutting-edge-guide/

It makes some of those tasks a lot easier if you dont have a tracksaw or tracks.

Oh yeah, those are great! I have from a while back, which I used with the circular saw to cut down ply sheets to line my garage wall. At one stage I had the rail-to-kerf offsets memorised for both sides.

Very reasonably priced too (about 1/5 of what a track saw rail goes for).