Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I built this desk as my old one was uncomfortable

The wood cost me R1100 and I still need to paint it.

I could have baught a new desk for a cheaper price but what's the fun in that.

A desk that you could buy for that amount would be pretty close to compressed cardboard!

Also you wouldnt have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

Well done, it looks great!

Another bloody chopping board :lol:

post-10758-0-12905600-1611792750_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-77260300-1611792762_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-60788900-1611792778_thumb.jpg

Edge grain, made from American Hard Maple rough sawn lumber. Finished with food grade mineral oil.

15 degree bevel added to each side for the hell of it (I thought it looked cool  :ph34r: )

Nothing fancy, and pretty simple to make. I find the milling process somewhat therapeutic, so don't mind spending a couple of Saturday mornings making noise and sawdust.

Edited by patches

Okay well so I have more or less finished the project that I was working on which required all the building of other things earlier in the thread. Like they say, it often takes longer building the machine that builds the machine.

I've been delaying posting pictures as I wanted to style it first to show exactly how it's supposed to look and what the purpose of it is, but whatever.

I don't even know what to call it, but here is my Ash Magazine Stand Pot Plant Holder Thingy. It has space to place some coffee table books/magazines, and space on the side for an indoor plant of some sorts.

jmfTLCA.jpg

MYQ1fNH.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's mine (actually it will probably become my mother's as I have literally no space for it)

I still need to oil it, but I'm still struggling to decide what, and from where. Most online resources advise Danish Oil for Ash, but notes that it yellows with time. As there are some experts here, what would you suggest?

Build photos and issues to come...

Rubio Monocoat for the win.  Or Bona Craft oil (essentially the same thing - different brand).  You can then leave as is or apply a seal coat for a little more protection...

For those of you who might be interested, Chamberlain has a massive power tool sale at the moment. Finally picked up a new circular saw (Bosch GKS190) at R400 off. Chuffed.

attachicon.gif20210127_221633.jpg

attachicon.gif20210127_221644.jpg

attachicon.gif20210127_221659.jpg

Edge grain, made from American Hard Maple rough sawn lumber. Finished with food grade mineral oil.

15 degree bevel added to each side for the hell of it (I thought it looked cool :ph34r: )

Nothing fancy, and pretty simple to make. I find the milling process somewhat therapeutic, so don't mind spending a couple of Saturday mornings making noise and sawdust.

I like the bevels.

15 degree bevel added to each side for the hell of it (I thought it looked cool  :ph34r: )

That 15deg side help when lifting the board, especially if the underside is wet and on a granite or similar smooth polished counter top.

Okay well so I have more or less finished the project that I was working on which required all the building of other things earlier in the thread. Like they say, it often takes longer building the machine that builds the machine.

I've been delaying posting pictures as I wanted to style it first to show exactly how it's supposed to look and what the purpose of it is, but whatever.

I don't even know what to call it, but here is my Ash Magazine Stand Pot Plant Holder Thingy. It has space to place some coffee table books/magazines, and space on the side for an indoor plant of some sorts.

jmfTLCA.jpg

MYQ1fNH.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's mine (actually it will probably become my mother's as I have literally no space for it)

I still need to oil it, but I'm still struggling to decide what, and from where. Most online resources advise Danish Oil for Ash, but notes that it yellows with time. As there are some experts here, what would you suggest?

Build photos and issues to come...

Hi Bertusras,

You can also consider the OSMO hardwax oil.  It is similar to Rubio, but you can select the level of sheen you want.  Now available at Woodworksupply or Toolcraft.

https://www.woodworksupply.co.za/collections/osmo

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/collections/osmo-wood-finishes

One of the most rewarding projects because it will be used almost everyday. I like the edges, makes it easy to pick up off the counter top.

I have not been online for a while, but I had a few good hours in the garage!   :clap:

My bench has not progressed much, apart from making the screw for the wagon vice. 

post-50518-0-71714500-1612173617_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-40325900-1612173580_thumb.jpg

However, one of my friends is also building a bench, so I made him a screw for his leg vice as well:  c 600 mm long, 65 mm diameter with 12.5 mm pitch,  twin start threads.  Rhodesian teak for the screw and nut, walnut for the hub and knobs, and beech for the handle.  (His bench will be Rhodesian teak for the base, beech top and walnut leg vise chop and accents).

post-50518-0-99795100-1612173775_thumb.jpg

Sorry, don't know why it is on its side...

'We can't have that pallet wood just standing around' apparently [emoji849]

A headboard for in the spare room used by our granddaughters ... it needs a 'distressed' white look, any suggestions how to get that?

I'm not creative at all so please keep that in mind!d4ed10372f6636099b19e847475c72f7.jpg

'We can't have that pallet wood just standing around' apparently [emoji849]

A headboard for in the spare room used by our granddaughters ... it needs a 'distressed' white look, any suggestions how to get that?

I'm not creative at all so please keep that in mind!d4ed10372f6636099b19e847475c72f7.jpg

If I didnt know better I would think that pic was taken at my house.

Similar colour wall.

Same crap paving

Same gap between paving and plaster on the wall with 2 rows of brick showing.

We have a different colour brick though

I hate that paving, cant sweep it, cant blow it with the leaf blower, takes forever to clean with the high pressure cleaner. The weeds love it though.

If I didnt know better I would think that pic was taken at my house.

Similar colour wall.

Same crap paving

Same gap between paving and plaster on the wall with 2 rows of brick showing.

We have a different colour brick though

I hate that paving, cant sweep it, cant blow it with the leaf blower, takes forever to clean with the high pressure cleaner. The weeds love it though.

I have the same paving. All of about 120 square meters of it. Yes, gonna cost a lot to replace. And yes, constant spraying of herbicides to get rid of weeds.

Edited by Moridin

I have the same paving. All of about 120 square meters of it. Yes, gonna cost a lot to replace. And yes, constant spraying of herbicides to get rid of weeds.

yep, I also have a lot of it. I've got a loooong drive way.

we doing some paving at home now and the m2 adds up very quickly to = a nice little brown paper bag of money!

we doing some paving at home now and the m2 adds up very quickly to = a nice little brown paper bag of money!

yeah, paved around 100 sqm around the pool in 2019, eye watering