Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Last night after work it was time for some sanding and installing the cornices.

I'be been converted to the coping method of joining cornices over the mitre method.

post-10758-0-42921400-1619642448_thumb.jpg

Good practice would dictate that my copes should be on the long 5.2m lengths and the shorter 1.2m pieces for the width of the room would be square cut, as ones eye is drown down the length of the hallway and so looking down the cope would appear more seamless. 

However I wasn't keen to wield 5.2m lengths with fragile coped ends, waiting to brake off at the slightest bump. Also if I messed up the coping I would waste a full length of material and not just 1.2m worth. 

post-10758-0-71153800-1619642506_thumb.jpg

Not my finest work (or tightest copes) but gap filler and paint will do what my novice skills cannot :lol:

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'be been converted to the coping method of joining cornices over the mitre method.

attachicon.gifIMG-20210428-WA0013.jpg

Good practice would dictate that my copes should be on the long 5.2m lengths and the shorter 1.2m pieces for the width of the room would be square cut, as ones eye is drown down the length of the hallway and so looking down the cope would appear more seamless. 

However I wasn't keen to wield 5.2m lengths with fragile coped ends, waiting to brake off at the slightest bump. Also if I messed up the coping I would waste a full length of material and not just 1.2m worth. 

attachicon.gifIMG-20210428-WA0015.jpg

Not my finest work (or tightest copes) but gap filler and paint will do what my novice skills cannot :lol:

A good painter can makes most other trades look good :P

Nice work Patches

attachicon.gifIMG-20210428-WA0013.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20210428-WA0015.jpg

Interesting that the cornice is made from wood, in SA its mostly polystyrene these days.

When I built my house about 2 years ago there was a defect in the adhesive and EVERY SINGLE cornice fell down a few days later. I couldnt get the contractor back for a few weeks and had flooring people arriving later that week with the walls all needing to be painted before then.

So I had to put up an entire house worth of cornice, I hate the damn things!!!

Interesting that the cornice is made from wood, in SA its mostly polystyrene these days.

When I built my house about 2 years ago there was a defect in the adhesive and EVERY SINGLE cornice fell down a few days later. I couldnt get the contractor back for a few weeks and had flooring people arriving later that week with the walls all needing to be painted before then.

No excuse for the contractor not to come back and make good ASAP after his adhesive failed.

No excuse for the contractor not to come back and make good ASAP after his adhesive failed.

Yeah ordinarily that would be the case, with my build I borrowed my brother in law's crew as he is a building contractor, so I got materials to site etc and paid his guys.

I bought DAS cornice and adhesives which the finish carpenters put up, but then they had to move on to another job.

I had to fight with the manufacturer who eventually just replaced the adhesive and werent willing to do more.

As a side note, 2 years on and the cornices are starting to pull away again in some areas. I try not to look at them because I get super annoyed, but I will have to do something again soon.

Dont they make those gypsum ones anymore? Those things were k u k to work with.

Yeah ordinarily that would be the case, with my build I borrowed my brother in law's crew as he is a building contractor, so I got materials to site etc and paid his guys.

I bought DAS cornice and adhesives which the finish carpenters put up, but then they had to move on to another job.

I had to fight with the manufacturer who eventually just replaced the adhesive and werent willing to do more.

As a side note, 2 years on and the cornices are starting to pull away again in some areas. I try not to look at them because I get super annoyed, but I will have to do something again soon.

ah ok

that whole family and builders work thing

ah ok

that whole family and builders work thing

Yeah, it wasnt something we wanted to do, but it saved a LOT of money in the end.

Im also fairly handy so I just really wanted them to do the basics, cupboards/kitchen etc was always going to be on me to build.

A good painter can makes most other trades look good :P

Nice work Patches

There's a radio advert here where you hear all sorts of trades saying "no worries, the painter will get that" to things like leaky roofs, short circuiting electrical etc.

The ad is for tradie's insurance because the painter can't fix everything :lol:

Yeah I remember the polystyrene ones from SA. I know the UK uses them too. I remember my dad using toothpicks to join up the mitred ends.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be a thing here. Not sure why?! Possible fire?!

Dont they make those gypsum ones anymore? Those things were k u k to work with.

I installed gypsum ones in the lounge as I needed a slightly bigger profile to cover some terrible gaps in the top of the drywall from a previous owner's reno.

And you are quite right... they are K U K to work with. Snapped at least one trying to install it. Definitely a 2 person job for the longer runs. The mess the cement makes is also a pain and results in plenty of sanding to get grubby splotches off after. They also only come in 3.6m lengths here so a join is inevitable. Disguising the join is not always easy.

I stick to the wood variants wherever possible. Measure, cut, cope, nail gun, done!

Yeah I remember the polystyrene ones from SA. I know the UK uses them too. I remember my dad using toothpicks to join up the mitred ends.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be a thing here. Not sure why?! Possible fire?!

I installed gypsum ones in the lounge as I needed a slightly bigger profile to cover some terrible gaps in the top of the drywall from a previous owner's reno.

And you are quite right... they are K U K to work with. Snapped at least one trying to install it. Definitely a 2 person job for the longer runs. The mess the cement makes is also a pain and results in plenty of sanding to get grubby splotches off after. They also only come in 3.6m lengths here so a join is inevitable. Disguising the join is not always easy.

I stick to the wood variants wherever possible. Measure, cut, cope, nail gun, done!

I would assume it may not be manufactured in NZ, and being an island the cost to import may jut not be worth it vs using a cheaper timber? 

Gypsum at 3.6m would also be an indicator that they are imported and the length is a factor of the shipping container it comes in?

Edited by Hairy

So after a weekend of gap filling, sanding and painting, I managed to finish the hallway just in time before my partner arrived back from Aus.

Before:

attachicon.gif20210423_183519.jpg

After:

attachicon.gif20210502_200330.jpg

attachicon.gif20210502_200404.jpg

You have made a really good job of it.Well done.I feel you could have used some warmer colours but thats just me and does not detract from the end product.

You have made a really good job of it.Well done.I feel you could have used some warmer colours but thats just me and does not detract from the end product.

Thanks!

The warm vs cool colour debate was one had in the house from day 1. The previous owner (an old lady in her 80's) had the walls painted a sort of manilla beige colour. We hated it :lol:

After dozens of test pots and paint patches on the walls we settled on a slightly cooler white.

However we do have flexibility in that the lights I have been installing are all 16 million colour smart LED's, so I can change the lighting colours to give the rooms a warmer feel, all controllable through the Philips Hue app and Google Assistant.

post-10758-0-00486600-1620076367_thumb.jpg

As aside though, in SA we tend to go for warmer more earthy colours in our homes. I remember looking for places to rent in NZ and the abundance of dark grey/charcoal carpets in houses was weird at first. Now I'm used to that and when I see a beige carpet it looks weird to me. It's the same with wood furniture. They love the white oak/scandinavian look here. Sometimes walnut makes an appearance. But if I look back at all the dark brown reddish woods I grew up around, they seem outta place here. "Style" is definitely regional.