Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

On 5/17/2021 at 12:48 PM, carrera4s said:

I eventually completed the end cap and wagon vice on my workbench!  First time I tried dovetails of this size.

Unfortunately my short video does not want to upload, but the wagon vice does work...

1287150869_EndCap2.jpg.d2a40a3581708d30212e0bcb9638a0f3.jpg

500522396_EndCap1.jpg.fb3c781dd6d83054deb1dd75155529a4.jpg

End Cap 3.jpg

Bench Dogs.jpg

I don't know what a wagon vice is, but that is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, patches said:

I was listening to one of the Woodtalk podcast episodes the other day, and they were talking about sacrificial layers on Roubo style workbenches and whether or not they use them, especially after putting in so many hours to create these artworks.

One of the hosts (Matt Cremona or Marc Spagnuolo, I can't remember) suggested to the person asking the question that they grab a mallet and hit their bench top a couple of times to dent it slightly. 

They said that although it just seems so wrong and dirty, it breaks that idea of perfection and one feel less guilty about using the bench for its designed purpose, hahaha

That's so true. PantsBoy made me a mallet out of doringhout with a beach handle and I just couldn't use it, it was really a nice mallet. Then my youngest gets hold of it and smacks something with it, ice was broken and now I regularly use it in my shop.

49 minutes ago, Ed-Zulu said:

That's so true. PantsBoy made me a mallet out of doringhout with a beach handle and I just couldn't use it, it was really a nice mallet. Then my youngest gets hold of it and smacks something with it, ice was broken and now I regularly use it in my shop.

I just finished a mallet yesterday. Last coating of oil needs to go on the handle today. 

But I've already bashed it to get over it. 

It's like when someone gives me a bottle of brandy or whiskey as a gift. I immediately open it and have a drink with that friend. 

17 hours ago, ichnusa said:

But how are you going to work on such a piece of art?

16 hours ago, Plentipotential said:

Carefully. ????

11 hours ago, patches said:

I was listening to one of the Woodtalk podcast episodes the other day, and they were talking about sacrificial layers on Roubo style workbenches and whether or not they use them, especially after putting in so many hours to create these artworks.

One of the hosts (Matt Cremona or Marc Spagnuolo, I can't remember) suggested to the person asking the question that they grab a mallet and hit their bench top a couple of times to dent it slightly. 

They said that although it just seems so wrong and dirty, it breaks that idea of perfection and one feel less guilty about using the bench for its designed purpose, hahaha

Tx guys,

Jip, the first dent was a bit of a heart stopper (I dropped the frog of a 5 1/2 plane about 300 mm high), but after that I am now less concerned.  I counted about 10 dings / marks so far.

Luckily, with such a thick top, once it really looks too bad, it will just take a few swipes with the hand planes and it will look as good as new again. But that first dent will survive a few of those clean-ups: it is a few mm deep.

But it sure is a joy to work at it. ???? 

Edited by carrera4s

14 hours ago, patches said:

hahah! thumbs up for the AvE references! Pity he hasn't got a BOLTR on this router, probably as he takes issue with dirty wood elves defiling dead tree carcasses. 

Haha! yeah look I never miss a chance to throw in some AvE references!

I couldnt figure a good way to get angry pixies in there, but the wood elves and tree carcasses is always a fan favourite.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:34 AM, lechatnoir said:

I make peppermills. This is some quilted maple

64f933ec-55a9-490a-9194-d7554e5b9495.jpg.d17c737f6f709cc2cceabbccb04457e7.jpg

Very cool! I wanted to make some but it would have meant buying some weirdly sized forstner bits that I wouldnt use for anything else. How are you handling all of the inner dimensions? dedicated MT2 mill cutter?

On 5/17/2021 at 12:48 PM, carrera4s said:

I eventually completed the end cap and wagon vice on my workbench!  First time I tried dovetails of this size.

Unfortunately my short video does not want to upload, but the wagon vice does work...

1287150869_EndCap2.jpg.d2a40a3581708d30212e0bcb9638a0f3.jpg

500522396_EndCap1.jpg.fb3c781dd6d83054deb1dd75155529a4.jpg

End Cap 3.jpg

Bench Dogs.jpg

Your quality of work is just amazing, that bench is a thing of beauty!!

I saw the videos and the wagon vise works perfectly.

14 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Very cool! I wanted to make some but it would have meant buying some weirdly sized forstner bits that I wouldnt use for anything else. How are you handling all of the inner dimensions? dedicated MT2 mill cutter?

Thanks! I've gone all-in on peppermills, so getting the extra forstner bits was essential.

4 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Have you seen these?

http://www.mrwoodturner.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_160&products_id=1109

Super useful if you are going to be producing a lot of mills.

Have a look here: the guy that make those was part of the Pretoria Woodworkers' Association.  Unfortunately he passed away recently, but his family is continuing the business.

https://www.peppermills.co.za/mechanism

R 690 for the drill.

They are the official importer of the Crush Grind mechanism.

Edited by carrera4s

4 hours ago, carrera4s said:

Have a look here: the guy that make those was part of the Pretoria Woodworkers' Association.  Unfortunately he passed away recently, but his family is continuing the business.

https://www.peppermills.co.za/mechanism

R 690 for the drill.

They are the official importer of the Crush Grind mechanism.

Thanks for the tip. I read through his site, seems like he was a really nice guy.

Did you make the recess tool and jam chucks when you made your set?

On 5/18/2021 at 7:05 AM, Ed-Zulu said:

I recently completed the Paul Sellers workbench using plywood only, I was going  to post a few pictures, but goeie genugtig man, it will look very crappy against your sculpture.

An absulutely stunning piece of carpentry skill Carrera, I'm sure you are super proud of it. 

???????? I feel exactly the same, been waiting till we get onto a new page to post!

Working with what I had and getting the most out of the various pieces ended up with kiaat frames for the chairs, pod mahogany and kiaat back slats and rhodesian teak seat slats. Stools are pod mahogany frames and various teak slats.  All timber from friends and family farms in Zim (the pod mahogany was still pit sawn) so lots of memory ad history in it for me.

IMG_3399.JPEG.a0d9a2394417cf049ced47fb5dff14a0.JPEG

IMG_3413.JPEG.acc3b53ae6de51a15442bc5d52d17f7b.JPEG

11 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Thanks for the tip. I read through his site, seems like he was a really nice guy.

Did you make the recess tool and jam chucks when you made your set?

I've tried the jam chuck method and failed dismally and have figured out a different way that works for me, but I needed to get new chuck jaws to make it work.