Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

WineRack.jpg.3d66b1608a8511c926db90c504179097.jpg

Wine rack build complete ???? Now to try and fill it.

Also, for future reference, trying to stain it using a paintbrush after assembly was a nightmare. Need to get a compressor and spray gun or find some better method. Any recommendations?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jehosefat said:

Also, for future reference, trying to stain it using a paintbrush after assembly was a nightmare. Need to get a compressor and spray gun or find some better method. Any recommendations?

Maybe an HVLP sprayer. WoodTubers like Marc Spagnuolo (The Wood Whisperer) and Jonathan Katz-Moses find them very useful.

He's showing a bigger setup, but one can get al all-in one electric version.

I have a little Wagner Flexio 575 which I used to paint a bedroom. With the detailing nozzle it can be used to finish furniture.

I see Builders has some Ryobi and Bosch options.

https://www.builders.co.za/Paint-&-Adhesives/Paint-Accessories/Paint-Spray-Gun/c/Paint Spray Gun

Edited by patches

13 hours ago, Jehosefat said:

I use a 6l compressor with an Aircraft brand spray gun. (Builders and Leroy Merlin stock a small range on these) It's perfectly suitable for even an air nailer.

It cost me R1800 inclusive of a 10m airhose and fittings. Apart from that I use it clean the tools and workshop too, so a very handy setup to have.

15 hours ago, Rich Stan said:

Great, thanks for the advice Steven. What is the name of the market in Pretoria you referring to so I can check it out?

Attached are some images of what I have if anyone is interested?

image4 (1).jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

Drop me a DM I'm interested in some of it, perhpas all of it

20 hours ago, Rich Stan said:

Great, thanks for the advice Steven. What is the name of the market in Pretoria you referring to so I can check it out?

Attached are some images of what I have if anyone is interested?

image4 (1).jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

Its been a while since I have been there, but there was a person at the Boeremark making wooden toys.  (But that was even before they moved to their new spot!)

Alternatively, there are a few groups on Facebook.  Check out these groups:

Houtwerkers Houtwerk

Garage Houtwerkers

Woodworkers Forum

I am sure you will get them sold on those groups - quite a few guys there making wooden toys.

Thanks for the responses all. Looks like I should go for a compressor and a HVLP or LVLP spray gun... at some point in the future when I have money again.

Hi All, sorry i am not a woodworker but i have a pile of Rhodesian teak wood planks from my deck that i took out which i would like to sell to a good home. Used, but it makes great furniture etc. I am semigrating to paarl so cant take it with but i have 160 square metres of deck planking which i want to sell. Would be open to offers or if people want to take some of it. I see very high prices for the stuff new but logically this is used and has some Patina. Anyone want it or know of someone who would be able to use it.

Image.jpeg

Thanks to the influence of the sponsored Wood-tubers, a Festool Domino is on my dream tools list. In reality I know I will not get nearly enough use out of it to justify the R20k-odd price tag (roughly what they go for new in NZ), but a boy can still dream right?!

Anyway, while delving through a YouTube woodworking rabbit hole, I came across the Peanut 2 Mini Jig. Whilst it's not quite as easy to use as a Domino, the concept of strong, self-clamping, and removable joints was very enticing (I know I've posted about the Peanut Mini Jig here before).

Well, after much umming and ahing, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. Many pre-requisite purchases had to occur in the lead-up (like full-size router, universal base-plate for said router to accept 30mm guide bush, and of course the 30mm guide bush).

In the end, I probably could have picked up a 2nd hand Domino for the same cost and less effort...

...but I just tell myself that this option is more flexible (based on the acquisition of the full size router) ????

Anyway, keen for the order to arrive and give it a go.

EDIT: so I messed up and ironically the error of my ways is apparent in the second video in this very post (which I hadn't viewed before posting).

In the vid they clearly demonstrate using a Makita DRT50 router (which I have) and that is a 1/4" router. Turns out there are 8mm collets available for them. So my whole venture to buy a full size router and kit it out for the jig was unnecessary ????

There was some good news though.

The peanut jig can be used to cut donimo style loose tenons, and dowels ????

Edited by patches

My bakkie sleeps outside, and I frequently park at dodgy while running or riding and needed a place to hide stuff so that an opportunistic tikkop doesn't see anything enticing inside. 

So I built a box that goes behind the seat that looks like the floor of an extended cab. But it's high enough to store my backpack in one side  and work stuff (fire extinguisher, spade, first aid kit, jumper cables, tow ropes and ratchet straps) in the other side. It has no bottom so that the cubbies for the jack and tyre equipment is still accessible. 

Simple plywood (scrap wood from other projects) construction upholstered (oorgetrek?) in automotive carpet. No fancy joinery, but I had to do get a bit creative in finding a way to to fasten in down. Ended up putting U-bolts in and strapping it down with turnbuckles to hidden holes in the floor for a seat. It's strong enough that my kids can sit on it.  There is already things that I'd like to change or do better next time, but alas, that is for a later version. 

Finished project.

D43FA951-85A0-4C61-81CB-EFD44C5C7482.jpeg

B575217B-F4E6-4416-85E8-5497CA499C67.jpeg

Carpet was glued onto the top, cut-outs and front, and stapled where they are not visible. Fortunately the smell of glue has dissipated. 

4E99EDDE-933C-4D9B-98DE-EBB960788072.jpegTest fit. 

Edited by PhilipV

16 hours ago, PhilipV said:

My bakkie sleeps outside, and I frequently park at dodgy while running or riding and needed a place to hide stuff so that an opportunistic tikkop doesn't see anything enticing inside. 

So I built a box that goes behind the seat that looks like the floor of an extended cab. But it's high enough to store my backpack in one side  and work stuff (fire extinguisher, spade, first aid kit, jumper cables, tow ropes and ratchet straps) in the other side. It has no bottom so that the cubbies for the jack and tyre equipment is still accessible. 

Simple plywood (scrap wood from other projects) construction upholstered (oorgetrek?) in automotive carpet. No fancy joinery, but I had to do get a bit creative in finding a way to to fasten in down. Ended up putting U-bolts in and strapping it down with turnbuckles to hidden holes in the floor for a seat. It's strong enough that my kids can sit on it.  There is already things that I'd like to change or do better next time, but alas, that is for a later version. 

Finished project.

D43FA951-85A0-4C61-81CB-EFD44C5C7482.jpeg

B575217B-F4E6-4416-85E8-5497CA499C67.jpeg

Carpet was glued onto the top, cut-outs and front, and stapled where they are not visible. Fortunately the smell of glue has dissipated. 

4E99EDDE-933C-4D9B-98DE-EBB960788072.jpegTest fit. 

That is very well done. There will always be things "you would/could do better", but honestly it is fine.
Did you use a 3D program to mock it up, or did you build as you went?

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

That is very well done. There will always be things "you would/could do better", but honestly it is fine.
Did you use a 3D program to mock it up, or did you build as you went?

No I'm too impatient to learn CAD, so I used hand drawings, followed by test fitting it as I progressed.

I can do basic things in sketchup, but it takes me  too long, so I usually grab a pencil and a ruler. 

getting the top piece to fit, while allowing the side pieces to rest on plastic trim was the kicker. But I ended up putting single sided rubber tape underneath all the  support pieces anyway, 

I did Technical Drawings in High school, that helps, especially with understanding where the item will fit in the space 

43 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

No I'm too impatient to learn CAD, so I used hand drawings, followed by test fitting it as I progressed.

I can do basic things in sketchup, but it takes me  too long, so I usually grab a pencil and a ruler. 

getting the top piece to fit, while allowing the side pieces to rest on plastic trim was the kicker. But I ended up putting single sided rubber tape underneath all the  support pieces anyway, 

I did Technical Drawings in High school, that helps, especially with understanding where the item will fit in the space 

I used Sketchup, it is an amazing tool. Can create cutting lists if you understand the clearances for blade thicknesses for example.
But, good old pencil and paper works a treat too.
I am busy "creating" bar stools. Will save like R50 a stool but its the experience of making the stool.