Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Needed a guide bush adaptor for the old Festool router so dusted off the verniers, knocked one up in Fusion 360 and ran a 3D print of version 1.

Turned out pretty damn close for a 1st attempt and dimensioning off the tool and not the part.

image.png.c489ddb64d9a0fc29c860b3453b27a03.png

image.png.8c33b09859f88df45205a32528b932e7.png

The PCD is slightly off and I'm probably about 1mm shallow. Biggest issue may be trying to centre it with the spindle, so I will probably get rid of the countersunk holes on the tabs, lower the tab height slightly and use wafer/pan head screws. That way I should have some adjustability.

Not too fussed though as this is a temp measure while I wait for one of these bad boys...

The Ultimate Router Base™ System

The plan will then be to have a matching recess in a table so that this router base also acts as the mounting plate for a router table.

Edited by patches

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bertusras said:

Your pics aren't working again ????

Sorry, think it's that iPhone HEIC thing again. Fixed now

Anyway, I have just printed version 2.0 with a built in 30mm bush to try out the Peanut jig (while I wait for the adapter, bush and 8mm collet for the little Makita router).

Here's v2.0

image.png.9889da991a05a102d786fe07567c48cc.png

Dropped the height on the tabs. tried to fine tube the PCD too. Left is with integrated 30mm guide bush. Right is adpater to accept universal guide bush set.

Here's the result...

image.png.16feab93f34b09058d51eee0f1727d85.png

Think I got the PCD pretty much spot on.

image.png.a5dd1e30bd23f3dbc3dbaad96dcada29.png

Still slightly shallow on on the face of the plate. Tabs are 3.5mm below router base so hopefully I can find some screws that will work. 30mm bush only projects 4mm as the Peanut jigs do have a limit (4mm for main jig. 9mm for mini jig)

image.png.61f7c659c6d39fdebd7b0f403973e2b8.png

I won't kid myself that this is perfectly round and to dimension... I just happened to get a lucky measurement ????

Edited by patches

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure how many of you have been following the Tally Ho build, but they are getting to the interior timber works now, so I am certain some of you may appreciate what and how they are doing things

15 hours ago, Hairy said:

I am not sure how many of you have been following the Tally Ho build, but they are getting to the interior timber works now, so I am certain some of you may appreciate what and how they are doing things

I havent followed for the last month or two but watched a ton of that restore over time.

After figuring out that my Bunnings (NZ Builder's Warehouse) trade card got me into the store during our Level 3 lockdown, I decided it was time to revamp the braai area.

Here's Phase 1 (new roof).

Before:

image.png.cb7fc988cdac51a16233c1478549ddb8.png

Dilapidated "thatch" roof. Great if you want that carribean island feel. Terrible if you hate spiders rain, and cleaning the deck of twigs each time there's a storm.

The replacement:

image.png.781e3e35fec36a1a703819b97803c84f.pngDemo begins. Thatch stripped off.

image.png.dc7716808ce10061ebb34942b2aba263.pngStart of framing. Framing nailers FTW!

image.png.ff2235a6df790f3ce45f951066e07e8a.pngFraming finished, New beams notched to hold frame.

image.png.10adf13cea437c0cf549861236afc958.pngRoof sheeting on frame. Tried my hand at folded mitred corners for the flashing.

image.png.aab68b132e9f9f8cd9b87399fbcdf880.pngReady and waiting for the lift into place

image.png.40b663609bf8cab7bc24837fb71c64a1.pngDone!

image.png.8fe4eed100dc582b76b0cc8ae65b0664.png

Next phase is the bench, cabinetry, and maybe some wall cladding.

Apart from finishing off the braai dakkie, I got to test the Peanut Jig and work on something I'm making for some friends.

A few weeks ago some friends asked if I could make a "shelf" for them to put on top of their white Ikea cupboards to raise their TV slightly.

I threw together some designs and this is the one they liked the most.

image.png.0b4a77b2fb2276262a2a92ab177326b5.png

image.png.fc144965cba0153bf57fe43f438db6de.png

Modelled and rendered in Inventor. Vertical partitions are right angled trapezoids, alternating to create the illusion of leaning.

I had a sheet of 18mm ply lying around, so whipped out the track saw and had at it. I forgot how awesome a tool it is! Execially when it comes to sheet goods and cutting crisp bevels.

Once all pieces were cut to final size and shape, I routed some dados into the top and bottom for the vertical partitions, and did a test fit

image.png.e41a7d6ca29ae74d2d59eb7fba8467f4.png

For the mitred corners I was going to use the painters tape and glue trick, but in the interim I ordered that Peanut Jig, so thought why not give that a go.

This was the result...

image.png.00d091b7fcdf76278c785c7319a01128.png

Small holes in bevelled face from securing the jig in place with screws. Not an issue as they are covered once assembled.

image.png.96a39206550d28234bb91a42526d3beb.png

Pretty tight mitre, No glue. No clamps.

image.png.a7355c617c25ccd297636d142aca1135.png

After some paint work, it was time to try another assembly. Pretty darn solid, and fully "flat-packable" without the need for any tools... well maybe a mallet as the peanut joints tighten up a lot when pushed into place.

Overall, very impressed with the Peanut jig! Can highly recommend!

9 hours ago, patches said:

After figuring out that my Bunnings (NZ Builder's Warehouse) trade card got me into the store during our Level 3 lockdown, I decided it was time to revamp the braai area.

Here's Phase 1 (new roof).

Before:

image.png.cb7fc988cdac51a16233c1478549ddb8.png

Dilapidated "thatch" roof. Great if you want that carribean island feel. Terrible if you hate spiders rain, and cleaning the deck of twigs each time there's a storm.

The replacement:

image.png.781e3e35fec36a1a703819b97803c84f.pngDemo begins. Thatch stripped off.

image.png.dc7716808ce10061ebb34942b2aba263.pngStart of framing. Framing nailers FTW!

image.png.ff2235a6df790f3ce45f951066e07e8a.pngFraming finished, New beams notched to hold frame.

image.png.10adf13cea437c0cf549861236afc958.pngRoof sheeting on frame. Tried my hand at folded mitred corners for the flashing.

image.png.aab68b132e9f9f8cd9b87399fbcdf880.pngReady and waiting for the lift into place

image.png.40b663609bf8cab7bc24837fb71c64a1.pngDone!

image.png.8fe4eed100dc582b76b0cc8ae65b0664.png

Next phase is the bench, cabinetry, and maybe some wall cladding.

lekker!
But in which direction is that rain water going to flow? Is that toward your property?
is there a gutter on the downslope side?

8 hours ago, Capricorn said:

lekker!
But in which direction is that rain water going to flow? Is that toward your property?
is there a gutter on the downslope side?

Free water for my neighbour! He can thank me later! ????

Just kidding, whilst the roof does slope at a 6.5deg grade towards his driveway, it is still all on my side of the fence.

I do have a plan to fabri-cobble a catchment system. A gutter would have to have a very slim profile due to the limited space, so my other 2 plans are:

The first idea is a C-shaped channel made from some split pvc piping which I slide/clip on to the end of the sheeting.

image.png.a5fcd97d36fcca2e0abc43bedeb9f3a4.png

The troughs in the roof sheeting should allot the water to flow into the split pipe. That pipe can then be perforated to drop water into a gutter below with a fall to one side or the other.

My second idea is similar, but in stead of a C-shaped catcher, I have a vertical sheet of acrylic/perspex as a back-stop for the water. That then allows the water to fall down into a gutter. A concept all boys that went to public schools will be familiar with :lol: 

Springwood Road State School - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting  Corporation)

Either way though, my neighbor has a pebble bed on the other side of the fence, and this 3x 1.8m roof at a gentle graded roof shouldn't Vic falls. And if it's raining THAT hard, the water off this little dakkie will be the least of his worries, hahaha

On 9/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, patches said:

Needed a guide bush adaptor for the old Festool router so dusted off the verniers, knocked one up in Fusion 360 and ran a 3D print of version 1.

"The ol' Festool router..." Cough!!

I hope someone has been giving you grief in my absence..!  :)

Nice work.

For the partitions, you can get a thing called a set square, helps you get things lined up perpendicular like... ????

No, seriously nice work, those joints are ????!!

I still haven't thicknessed those mast staves.  Had to move house - new house is not as saw-dust friendly as the last house, have kind of vegged.  Need to have a meeting with myself and give myself a kick in the arse.  Hopefully that summer is coming should provide some motivation.  And maybe the Mens Shed to reopen - or it's $700 on a Ryobi thicknesser from Bunnings...

2 minutes ago, davetapson said:

"The ol' Festool router..." Cough!!

I hope someone has been giving you grief in my absence..!  :)

Nice work.

For the partitions, you can get a thing called a set square, helps you get things lined up perpendicular like... ????

No, seriously nice work, those joints are ????!!

I still haven't thicknessed those mast staves.  Had to move house - new house is not as saw-dust friendly as the last house, have kind of vegged.  Need to have a meeting with myself and give myself a kick in the arse.  Hopefully that summer is coming should provide some motivation.  And maybe the Mens Shed to reopen - or it's $700 on a Ryobi thicknesser from Bunnings...

hahaha, the guy with the schamncy Festool sander cannot can't cough at my used and abused $81 Festo trademe bargain (yes it is so old it was called Festo back when it was made).

But yeah, Men's Shed will hopefully open up under Level 2. As for thicknessers, check out Machinery Warehouse and Carbatec. they have some affordable options that may be better value than a Ryobi from Bunnings.

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/W812

https://www.carbatec.co.nz/product/36532-carbatec-12-inch-benchtop-thicknesser

17 minutes ago, patches said:

hahaha, the guy with the schamncy Festool sander cannot can't cough at my used and abused $81 Festo trademe bargain (yes it is so old it was called Festo back when it was made).

But yeah, Men's Shed will hopefully open up under Level 2. As for thicknessers, check out Machinery Warehouse and Carbatec. they have some affordable options that may be better value than a Ryobi from Bunnings.

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/W812

https://www.carbatec.co.nz/product/36532-carbatec-12-inch-benchtop-thicknesser

Damn, that was a deal.

Hmmm - thanks for those links.  The old boat building guy who's course I did recommends Carbatec.

His other favourite was https://www.rands.co.nz/ - it's where I picked up the green sander.  No thicknessers there.

I'd not admit it anywhere else, but that sander is a handful.  It was great for knocking back metres sq'd of epoxy that I had to coat some horrible ply with to flatten down a fuzzy surface and for sure earned it's worth there, but for your average diy thing, I'd probably just go pick up a Bosch PEX or something - lighter, easier to handle and plenty of grunt for normal stuff.

47 minutes ago, davetapson said:

Damn, that was a deal.

Hmmm - thanks for those links.  The old boat building guy who's course I did recommends Carbatec.

His other favourite was https://www.rands.co.nz/ - it's where I picked up the green sander.  No thicknessers there.

I'd not admit it anywhere else, but that sander is a handful.  It was great for knocking back metres sq'd of epoxy that I had to coat some horrible ply with to flatten down a fuzzy surface and for sure earned it's worth there, but for your average diy thing, I'd probably just go pick up a Bosch PEX or something - lighter, easier to handle and plenty of grunt for normal stuff.

Yeah, Carbatec is probably the go-to for woodworking stuff in NZ. They have all sorts (including the the green and black beauties form Germany).

Also worth a look (for smaller specialty items) are Timbecon in Aus and Axminster Tools in the UK.

8 hours ago, patches said:

Free water for my neighbour! He can thank me later! ????

Just kidding, whilst the roof does slope at a 6.5deg grade towards his driveway, it is still all on my side of the fence.

I do have a plan to fabri-cobble a catchment system. A gutter would have to have a very slim profile due to the limited space, so my other 2 plans are:

The first idea is a C-shaped channel made from some split pvc piping which I slide/clip on to the end of the sheeting.

image.png.a5fcd97d36fcca2e0abc43bedeb9f3a4.png

The troughs in the roof sheeting should allot the water to flow into the split pipe. That pipe can then be perforated to drop water into a gutter below with a fall to one side or the other.

My second idea is similar, but in stead of a C-shaped catcher, I have a vertical sheet of acrylic/perspex as a back-stop for the water. That then allows the water to fall down into a gutter. A concept all boys that went to public schools will be familiar with :lol: 

Springwood Road State School - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting  Corporation)

Either way though, my neighbor has a pebble bed on the other side of the fence, and this 3x 1.8m roof at a gentle graded roof shouldn't Vic falls. And if it's raining THAT hard, the water off this little dakkie will be the least of his worries, hahaha

Just check with the detail that you also bring some flashing up under the sheeting to prevent wind blown water or a blocked downpipe water from coming in

image.png.44ef5b4728e3411c8b8104ef8a46e4cc.png

I need some assistance:

Moved into new place and it has a massive deek. It was a digs so the varnish that was on it has worn off (90%). 

Do I just re varnish this massive deek or should I oil the deek?

Any suggestions for oil and prep besides sanding?

Also have some planks on the deek that have bowed a little, any suggestions besides just throwing a screw through it?