Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Also, does anyone have any nice designs for a pergola?

The last one I made was nice, but the mount to the wall did not age well. 

Thanks

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

I need some assistance:

Moved into new place and it has a massive deek. It was a digs so the varnish that was on it has worn off (90%). 

Do I just re varnish this massive deek or should I oil the deek?

Any suggestions for oil and prep besides sanding?

Also have some planks on the deek that have bowed a little, any suggestions besides just throwing a screw through it?

I prefer an oil finish on a deek, its much easier to fix up later so all the neighborhood kuds want to be on your deek again.

You would need to sand it back, but its a breeze to apply oil and when it starts looking tired you just hit it with a pressure washer, let it dry and re-apply.

I know this is a cycling forum and what I'm about to share may get me kicked out, but perhaps the woodworking thread is a safe space...

I recently sold a bicycle. My beloved Morewood Sukuma, the second last of the 5 Morewoods I once had roaming the garage. I put it up on a $1 reserve auction, risky I know, but I thought I'd let the market decide. It went for 1.5x what I expected, so between lockdown boredom and all that freed up fun-money burning a hole in my pocket, I spent a bunch of it on new woodworking tools ???? (apologies super-serious cyclists that are cringing in disgust)

These are the new garage-space-stealers...

Bora Centipede CK6S Workstand - 2ft x 4ft Package Deal | Centipede Sawhorse

Bora Centipede Workstand

Bora Centipede table with 1200x600mm MFT style top. Compact and uses the 20mm hole @96mm centre setup like the Festool MFT tables, opening up a load of possibilities with clamping, square and 45deg cuts (with track saw) and all manner of bench/parf dog accessories. What's crazy is that little table is rated to 600kg and the table top, over 900kg.

Festool SYS_MFT Multifunction Tabletop Systainer

image.png.4c9ca3fdda97a569eca6036182b97414.png

image.png.513c22b401bd2619643f979ab8d5e247.png

Festool Sys MFT Systainer. For storing the Peanut Jig. Handy as it serves as a mini worktop, and the Systainer T-Locks are still somewhat compatible with the Makita MakPacs (if they're attached on top).

Bessey GTR16S6H All Steel Ratcheting Table...

Bessey GTR16S6H All Steel Ratcheting Table...

2x Bessey Quick Clamps. Pretty much identical to the ones shown on the Festool Systainer above, but at half the price. (I have a feeling Bessey probably manufactures them for Festool). They work in MFT style benchtops and can clamp Festool/Makita track saw rails.

aand finally...

No photo description available.

Benchdogs fence add on - YouTube

fence-fully-loaded-mafell.jpg?v=1616510911

A Bench Dogs Fence and guide-rail set, which will integrate with the Bora MFT-style top and packs away neatly into a Systainer to clip on top of the Makita Track Saw MakPac.

So yeah, although it was sad to see the Sukuma go (especially all the Hope goodness it was wearing), it was gathering dust, so I figured I'd invest in some items that are meant to get dusty!

EDIT: I also need to be aware that with "all-the-gear-no-idea" I better start making something or my wife is gonna start questioning these purchases ????

Edited by patches

10 hours ago, patches said:

I know this is a cycling forum and what I'm about to share may get me kicked out, but perhaps the woodworking thread is a safe space...

I recently sold a bicycle. My beloved Morewood Sukuma, the second last of the 5 Morewoods I once had roaming the garage. I put it up on a $1 reserve auction, risky I know, but I thought I'd let the market decide. It went for 1.5x what I expected, so between lockdown boredom and all that freed up fun-money burning a hole in my pocket, I spent a bunch of it on new woodworking tools ???? (apologies super-serious cyclists that are cringing in disgust)

These are the new garage-space-stealers...

Bora Centipede table with 1200x600mm MFT style top. Compact and uses the 20mm hole @96mm centre setup like the Festool MFT tables, opening up a load of possibilities with clamping, square and 45deg cuts (with track saw) and all manner of bench/parf dog accessories. What's crazy is that little table is rated to 600kg and the table top, over 900kg.

Festool Sys MFT Systainer. For storing the Peanut Jig. Handy as it serves as a mini worktop, and the Systainer T-Locks are still somewhat compatible with the Makita MakPacs (if they're attached on top).

2x Bessey Quick Clamps. Pretty much identical to the ones shown on the Festool Systainer above, but at half the price. (I have a feeling Bessey probably manufactures them for Festool). They work in MFT style benchtops and can clamp Festool/Makita track saw rails.

aand finally...

A Bench Dogs Fence and guide-rail set, which will integrate with the Bora MFT-style top and packs away neatly into a Systainer to clip on top of the Makita Track Saw MakPac.

So yeah, although it was sad to see the Sukuma go (especially all the Hope goodness it was wearing), it was gathering dust, so I figured I'd invest in some items that are meant to get dusty!

EDIT: I also need to be aware that with "all-the-gear-no-idea" I better start making something or my wife is gonna start questioning these purchases ????

So let me get this strainght!

You sold a Morewood so that you get toys to make more wood projects ... sounds legit to me.

10 hours ago, patches said:

Haha! nice tools, I would happily make that trade for an old Sukuma. 

I have been putting most of my free time into making beer for a while and my wife is starting to point out all of the tools that are seldom being used.

I threatened to sell some of them off in favor of stainless steel conical fermenters, she didnt like the idea much :D

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You sold a Morewood so that you get toys to make more wood projects ... sounds legit to me.

I wasnt quite sure how you were going to take it haha!

On one hand its a Morewood and on the other its a bunch of cool tools... 

2 minutes ago, Rocket-Boy said:

oof!

????

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

12 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

12 hours ago, Capricorn said:

oof!

????

She's an older lady, but she cleaned up well.

image.png.c9f2738facf734ff5c06a514aaa705ac.png

Hopefully well worth the trade though! Looking forward to making all sorts of noise and sawdust (and maybe something worth keeping) on the new setup

Quick test of the new portable setup.

image.png.3ae771bb54073b06381fc243515654fb.png

Battery powered with bluetooth auto-start dust extraction.

image.png.115234d39c7c4da91a8598adb251e2a9.png

Fence system with 3 flag-stops. convenient when one has 3 repeatable lengths to cut to.

image.png.cd76761f8909141d7ff2c31e27e77daf.png

Chamfered all the dog holes, added a removable sacrificial cutting strip, and sealed the MDF top with shellac.

image.png.69e53c15de05041dadb94bb37ba5b80c.png

Sacrificial strip removed.

Edited by patches

• 2 weeks later...