Jump to content

Post your woodwork here


Slowbee
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, dev null said:

There are 2 things a man never lends out: his wife and his tools.

I have learnt my lessons.

expand on 'lessons'....ūüė¨

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Capricorn said:

expand on 'lessons'....ūüė¨

Lesson 1: Lend out my expensive level to my sister in law. Never got it back.

Lesson 2: I never got asked for permission and is still is sore point 15 years later.

Edited by dev null
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dev null said:

Lesson 1: Lend out my expensive level to my sister in law. Never got it back.

Lesson 2: I never got asked for permission and is still is sore point 15 years later.

commiserations!

my dad loaned my cheapass mouse sander. Then it seemed to have gone missing, only to be rediscovered in a box. in pieces. 
shame, it broke due to heavy work, and he tried and failed to fix it. I think he was so ashamed, he 'forgot' about it :P

But to my shame, i must admit, i was a bit pissed..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, stefmeister said:

No, never. Can't stress this enough. Do so at your own peril, but know that the outcome is always going to be the same; if your tools aren't damaged or lost, they'll just keep on borrowing it until it's broken or lost. Worst case, they can't even afford/aren't willing to repair or replace damaged/lost tools, then what happens?

There should be a tool hire place like Coastal or Talisman they can use. How do you in any case start a project without the necessary equipment?

My uncle borrowed my dad's circular saw to rip some beams. Burnt out the motor coz he's an idiot. He actually offered to pay for the replacement, but when he learned how much a new Makita costs, he just said, wow that's crazy expensive. Never saw a cent contributed, but still had the audacity to ask to borrow his saw again later.

Yeah, I fear that having lent some simpler cheaper tools to this person in the past may have fostered a culture of repetitive dependence. 

It started off with a small torpedo level and some drill bits.

Now it has progressed to:

  • Milwaukee Framing Nail Gun (along with batteries and charger)
  • AEG 15Ga Nail gun¬†(along with batteries and charger)
  • AEG Collated Screw Gun
  • Bosch 3 plane laser level
  • AEG Mitre Saw
  • Assortment of drywall rulers, cutting and plastering tools

Like you say, if something were to go wrong and he were to be presented with the cost of replacement, I think he'd poop himself.

15 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Yeah for sure, I was at my mom's place yesterday putting up some bathroom fittings.

I needed a few sized tile bits(which I had) to get the job done, I then started thinking about how hard those jobs used to be without the correct tools. I dont use all of them often, but I know they are there for when I do need them.

Exactly! I have some more ceiling replacements in my near future and although I don't use the previously mentioned tools often (hence my guilt about having "all the gear but no idea"), they are life-savers when performing their designated tasks.

The hassle of having to chase him up to see if I can get my own stuff back to do my own work is pretty off-putting. 

15 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

I have borrowed tools in the past that died when I was using them, it ended up costing me a replacement of some really old tool that I could have bought for myself.

So personally I dont like to borrow tools. If its a low use/single use tool then I buy something from Adendorff, Im sure NZ has something similar.

With regards to lending tools, I have always taken the approach of "I will come help" or "pop around and we will do it together"

Fortunately that has always been enough and I havent had to to lend tools out without me being around to make sure they are looked after.

Yeah, this is the approach I took when he needed a table saw, track saw and router. He came over and we did most of the work without the tools leaving the premises.

This next project is building a timber framed wall, lined with drywall sheeting. Something he has never done before, PLUS he's doing for a friend of his¬†ūü§® . I am tempted to offer my assistance, partially to ensure my tools are looked after and partially because I'm curious as to how the build may go, although I'll struggle to standby and watch things get done incorrectly¬†ūüėÖ. My hesitation in offering assistance is that I have plenty of my own renovation projects to complete. Weekends are precious, haha!

Anyway, I told him I need to knock out some of my work first. I may offer assistance after that, or just have the hard conversation around my reluctance to lend out tools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, patches said:

Yeah, I fear that having lent some simpler cheaper tools to this person in the past may have fostered a culture of repetitive dependence. 

It started off with a small torpedo level and some drill bits.

Now it has progressed to:

  • Milwaukee Framing Nail Gun (along with batteries and charger)
  • AEG 15Ga Nail gun¬†(along with batteries and charger)
  • AEG Collated Screw Gun
  • Bosch 3 plane laser level
  • AEG Mitre Saw
  • Assortment of drywall rulers, cutting and plastering tools

Like you say, if something were to go wrong and he were to be presented with the cost of replacement, I think he'd poop himself.

Exactly! I have some more ceiling replacements in my near future and although I don't use the previously mentioned tools often (hence my guilt about having "all the gear but no idea"), they are life-savers when performing their designated tasks.

The hassle of having to chase him up to see if I can get my own stuff back to do my own work is pretty off-putting. 

Yeah, this is the approach I took when he needed a table saw, track saw and router. He came over and we did most of the work without the tools leaving the premises.

This next project is building a timber framed wall, lined with drywall sheeting. Something he has never done before, PLUS he's doing for a friend of his¬†ūü§® . I am tempted to offer my assistance, partially to ensure my tools are looked after and partially because I'm curious as to how the build may go, although I'll struggle to standby and watch things get done incorrectly¬†ūüėÖ. My hesitation in offering assistance is that I have plenty of my own renovation projects to complete. Weekends are precious, haha!

Anyway, I told him I need to knock out some of my work first. I may offer assistance after that, or just have the hard conversation around my reluctance to lend out tools.

Just blame us for the reluctance to lend out tools, the bikehub woodwork collective has spoken! :D

But yeah, it sounds like it could be quite fun to watch them make a mess of things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made my own Danish Oil concoction. Seems to work nicely.

1/3 Woodock No 25

1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil

1/3 Turpentine

 

BTW, where can I find coloured gel stains? In particular, looking for electric blue coloured stain for my next project, which will be a rack for my vinyl LPs. I am a bit wary of water based stains.

Edited by dev null
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, dev null said:

Made my own Danish Oil concoction. Seems to work nicely.

1/3 Woodock No 25

1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil

1/3 Turpentine

 

BTW, where can I find coloured gel stains? In particular, looking for electric blue coloured stain for my next project, which will be a rack for my vinyl LPs. I am a bit wary of water based stains.

https://www.woodoc.com/products/products/woodoc-colours

Woodoc has a gel stain range in bright colours.

Shou sugi ban with a nice blue on top looks amazing, you should check out some of the youtube vids on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are Woodpecker tools available in SA?

I notice that most of the YouTube "woodworking celebs" use Woodpecker squares, jigs etc.

It's not easily available here in NZ, so I made the mistake of venturing onto their website... some seriously drool-worthy items.

Anyway, recently someone was selling a bunch of unused Woodpecker tools on TradeMe (NZ Gumtree) and I couldn't help but jump in on the action...

Got myself a Woodpecker Panel Marking Gauge (the 600mm metric version) from their OneTime Tool collection (a series of tools they make based on some innovative new idea, for a limited time).

OneTIME Tool - Marking Gauge - 2019 - Retired October 14, 2019

Their marking gauges come with dual cutting wheels with spacer kits (for marking dados etc) and a mechanical pencil which stores away in the shaft.

It was a bit of a splurge for something my drywall T-square can do, but I thought it may be nice when working with plywood, panel glue-ups, or other sheet goods.

Edited by patches
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, patches said:

Are Woodpecker tools available in SA?

I notice that most of the YouTube "woodworking celebs" use Woodpecker squares, jigs etc.

It's not easily available here in NZ, so I made the mistake of venturing onto their website... some seriously drool-worthy items.

Anyway, recently someone was selling a bunch of unused Woodpecker tools on TradeMe (NZ Gumtree) and I couldn't help but jump in on the action...

Got myself a Woodpecker Panel Marking Gauge (the 600mm metric version) from their OneTime Tool collection (a series of tools they make based on some innovative new idea, for a limited time).

OneTIME Tool - Marking Gauge - 2019 - Retired October 14, 2019

Their marking gauges come with dual cutting wheels with spacer kits (for marking dados etc) and a mechanical pencil which stores away in the shaft.

It was a bit of a splurge for something my drywall T-square can do, but I thought it may be nice when working with plywood, panel glue-ups, or other sheet goods.

yes we do via various e-tailers. Down here in the cape, it's largely thanks to Toolcraft.

But the pandemic's effect on shipping has had a huge effect on supply of stock with a Toolcraft advisory published late last year, or early this year, stating new shipments were somewhere into 2022 IIRC. Toolcraft has instead, dipped into what looks like chinese equivalents.
Have a set of the alu woodpeckers squares, and would luurv the newer stainless, large format versions. But in general, they are moer-pricey in ZA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, patches said:

Are Woodpecker tools available in SA?

I notice that most of the YouTube "woodworking celebs" use Woodpecker squares, jigs etc.

It's not easily available here in NZ, so I made the mistake of venturing onto their website... some seriously drool-worthy items.

Anyway, recently someone was selling a bunch of unused Woodpecker tools on TradeMe (NZ Gumtree) and I couldn't help but jump in on the action...

Got myself a Woodpecker Panel Marking Gauge (the 600mm metric version) from their OneTime Tool collection (a series of tools they make based on some innovative new idea, for a limited time).

OneTIME Tool - Marking Gauge - 2019 - Retired October 14, 2019

Their marking gauges come with dual cutting wheels with spacer kits (for marking dados etc) and a mechanical pencil which stores away in the shaft.

It was a bit of a splurge for something my drywall T-square can do, but I thought it may be nice when working with plywood, panel glue-ups, or other sheet goods.

Don't get FOMO, all those people on YT and instagram are sponsored by them. Kinda just annoys me lately, as it's all just product placements/adverts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, patches said:

Are Woodpecker tools available in SA?

I notice that most of the YouTube "woodworking celebs" use Woodpecker squares, jigs etc.

It's not easily available here in NZ, so I made the mistake of venturing onto their website... some seriously drool-worthy items.

Anyway, recently someone was selling a bunch of unused Woodpecker tools on TradeMe (NZ Gumtree) and I couldn't help but jump in on the action...

Got myself a Woodpecker Panel Marking Gauge (the 600mm metric version) from their OneTime Tool collection (a series of tools they make based on some innovative new idea, for a limited time).

OneTIME Tool - Marking Gauge - 2019 - Retired October 14, 2019

Their marking gauges come with dual cutting wheels with spacer kits (for marking dados etc) and a mechanical pencil which stores away in the shaft.

It was a bit of a splurge for something my drywall T-square can do, but I thought it may be nice when working with plywood, panel glue-ups, or other sheet goods.

Woodpeckers make awesome, accurate, beautiful... and stupidly overpriced tools!!

You can get them here but they are super expensive. In most instances I would probably rather go for Starrett at similar prices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Capricorn said:

yes we do via various e-tailers. Down here in the cape, it's largely thanks to Toolcraft.

But the pandemic's effect on shipping has had a huge effect on supply of stock with a Toolcraft advisory published late last year, or early this year, stating new shipments were somewhere into 2022 IIRC. Toolcraft has instead, dipped into what looks like chinese equivalents.
Have a set of the alu woodpeckers squares, and would luurv the newer stainless, large format versions. But in general, they are moer-pricey in ZA.

I've been looking at some of these "equivalents" on Aliexpress. I did buy a $7 auto-punch from them. I figured it only needs to make dimples where I put it, so how bad can it be.

But yeah, been looking at the Aliexpress versions of router bases, jigs etc too. Haven't searched to see if they have a version of Woodpecker's famous pocket T-square, but may be worth a look.

12 hours ago, stefmeister said:

Don't get FOMO, all those people on YT and instagram are sponsored by them. Kinda just annoys me lately, as it's all just product placements/adverts.

Your case in point...

Motivational Poster ‚ÄĒ Bourbon Moth Woodworking

That's a heap-load of pricey red aluminium in the background!

But yeah! That's why guys like AvE are so good. They buy the tools with their own money/patreon donations and don't care what they say about them.

I would love to get a Festool Domino, but I do admit that YouTube sponsored content creators are largely responsible for my Domino desire, despite how many of them make "do you really need a Domino?" type videos to try be more relatable to us budget constrained hobbyists.

I guess though, if they can influence just 2 people to buy [insert whatever fancy tool here] based on their content, then the [insert fancy tool sponsor] has made a return on their investment.

11 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Woodpeckers make awesome, accurate, beautiful... and stupidly overpriced tools!!

You can get them here but they are super expensive. In most instances I would probably rather go for Starrett at similar prices.

There must be Starrett and "Starrett" because the squares I have seen here are way more affordable than Woodpecker, but also seem cheap, mass-produced and not dissimilar to anything from Stanley.

image.png.b0216ed3a6f581122f878b4847e6478f.png

The specialist woodwork shop here in Auckland sells Incra and Rockler too. Those are pretty good alternatives, and story-sticks are free! ...unless you want the Woodpecker version :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, patches said:

I've been looking at some of these "equivalents" on Aliexpress. I did buy a $7 auto-punch from them. I figured it only needs to make dimples where I put it, so how bad can it be.

But yeah, been looking at the Aliexpress versions of router bases, jigs etc too. Haven't searched to see if they have a version of Woodpecker's famous pocket T-square, but may be worth a look.

Your case in point...

Motivational Poster ‚ÄĒ Bourbon Moth Woodworking

That's a heap-load of pricey red aluminium in the background!

But yeah! That's why guys like AvE are so good. They buy the tools with their own money/patreon donations and don't care what they say about them.

I would love to get a Festool Domino, but I do admit that YouTube sponsored content creators are largely responsible for my Domino desire, despite how many of them make "do you really need a Domino?" type videos to try be more relatable to us budget constrained hobbyists.

I guess though, if they can influence just 2 people to buy [insert whatever fancy tool here] based on their content, then the [insert fancy tool sponsor] has made a return on their investment.

There must be Starrett and "Starrett" because the squares I have seen here are way more affordable than Woodpecker, but also seem cheap, mass-produced and not dissimilar to anything from Stanley.

image.png.b0216ed3a6f581122f878b4847e6478f.png

The specialist woodwork shop here in Auckland sells Incra and Rockler too. Those are pretty good alternatives, and story-sticks are free! ...unless you want the Woodpecker version :lol:

Starrett probably has a lower end line these days, but this is kinda the expected pricing on their quality tools:

https://wood.tools4.co.za/product/starrett-c11h-12-4r-12-combination-square-with-square-head/

R3300 is definitely not cheap for a combo square!

I love Incra, I just think its pricing is nuts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Starrett probably has a lower end line these days, but this is kinda the expected pricing on their quality tools:

https://wood.tools4.co.za/product/starrett-c11h-12-4r-12-combination-square-with-square-head/

R3300 is definitely not cheap for a combo square!

I love Incra, I just think its pricing is nuts.

Should be quite a bit cheaper via Amazon. No point going through T4W that also just imports it on order.

The 6" one is also much cheaper via RS Components, and the shorter rule is more user friendly for wood working imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, patches said:

I've been looking at some of these "equivalents" on Aliexpress. I did buy a $7 auto-punch from them. I figured it only needs to make dimples where I put it, so how bad can it be.

But yeah, been looking at the Aliexpress versions of router bases, jigs etc too. Haven't searched to see if they have a version of Woodpecker's famous pocket T-square, but may be worth a look.

Your case in point...

Motivational Poster ‚ÄĒ Bourbon Moth Woodworking

That's a heap-load of pricey red aluminium in the background!

But yeah! That's why guys like AvE are so good. They buy the tools with their own money/patreon donations and don't care what they say about them.

I would love to get a Festool Domino, but I do admit that YouTube sponsored content creators are largely responsible for my Domino desire, despite how many of them make "do you really need a Domino?" type videos to try be more relatable to us budget constrained hobbyists.

I guess though, if they can influence just 2 people to buy [insert whatever fancy tool here] based on their content, then the [insert fancy tool sponsor] has made a return on their investment.

There must be Starrett and "Starrett" because the squares I have seen here are way more affordable than Woodpecker, but also seem cheap, mass-produced and not dissimilar to anything from Stanley.

image.png.b0216ed3a6f581122f878b4847e6478f.png

The specialist woodwork shop here in Auckland sells Incra and Rockler too. Those are pretty good alternatives, and story-sticks are free! ...unless you want the Woodpecker version :lol:

They are lovely and quite desireable, however, a blunt pencil or incorrect use of a marking knife renders it useless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2021 at 11:17 PM, patches said:

But yeah, been looking at the Aliexpress versions of router bases, jigs etc too.

The Drillpro branded jigs and squares on Banggood seem to the most popular and receive good reviews. There are even youtube reviews for some of the Drillpro branded items. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout