Trail Daze | Drakensberg on the fly

ewaldsadie

1024-TD-banner.jpg

We head out to KZN and the greater Drakensberg area, to bring you an alternative take on ascending 1400 vertical metres, a world of off-piste trails and riding that will test the average man and his machine to their limits.

Click here to view the article

Thanks a lot Ewald, it was a brilliant day out on the bike! 

What do you mean the man cave looks tidy and organized? I always keep it organised according to this mind map...

http://latitude53.org/files/u2/archive/2014/we/mindmap-1280.jpg

Simply stunning.

Trail Daze, yet again you simply take my breath away. I am now seriously waiting to be able to buy my first full trail bike and follow your lead.

Thanks.

Yoh! What incredible imagery! Makes my heart sing to hear that people having taken the risk to offer heli-biking in SA :D

Hubbers, support these guys so their business becomes sustainable. Call up your friends, show them the photo's, start planning and get it done!

Edited by iRide

Excellent report through beautiful photography. Congrats, looks really special.

Where exactly is this, and is this on the little berg or on the escarpment proper? Looks awesome, would love to do this.

Where exactly is this, and is this on the little berg or on the escarpment proper? Looks awesome, would love to do this.

it's on the little berg. I have flown lots with Greg and Brett, they are the best (and probably only) high altitude chopper pilots in the country. They have a set route that they are allowed to enter the Park/world heritage site, and cycling isn't allowed in the park, yet. Would be awesome if that changes, the place is so under utilized. People just don't hike that much anymore

it's on the little berg. I have flown lots with Greg and Brett, they are the best (and probably only) high altitude chopper pilots in the country. They have a set route that they are allowed to enter the Park/world heritage site, and cycling isn't allowed in the park, yet. Would be awesome if that changes, the place is so under utilized. People just don't hike that much anymore

Thanks, yes I also think hiking has declined in the past couple of years, due to all the incidents in the huts and at night etc with the locals, though the serious hikers will head straight for the main berg in any case. I have often walked in the berg and thought the path I am on would be AWESOME for a mtb ride ...

Thanks, yes I also think hiking has declined in the past couple of years, due to all the incidents in the huts and at night etc with the locals, though the serious hikers will head straight for the main berg in any case. I have often walked in the berg and thought the path I am on would be AWESOME for a mtb ride ...

Path maintenance is probably the biggest obstacle. The park management just do not have the budget or staff to maintain the existing paths, nevermind new mtb paths. But yes, it would be awesome to ride some of those trails.. You could do a north to south trail like they do a hiking traverse. Or just bomb down (mostly down) from the top of the escarpment to one of the camps. 

Did this trip a few months back...it is well worth it.

The riding is proper technical and certainly not manicured, don't go on your racing hardtail..it will hurt.

Kirk who runs Rockslide is a great guy and really enthusiastic about taking people on these adventures.

As stated in the article, take your longer travel bikes, kneeguards and expect a day of wild mountainbiking.

Will definitely be going back for another trip.

All should be aware that Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife manages the park and most of it is a world heritage site. Some areas are declared wilderness. All this means that international treaties are in place and govern, to some extent, the activities that may take place there. Loss of world heritage status, for example, would be detrimental to local tourism businesses.

At present very little MTB is permitted within park boundaries managed by Ezemvelo. As far as I know, only Mike's Pass and the old forestry jeeptracks are permitted. Some resorts and hotels have very tame short trails too.

There is room for some development of mtb but please lets not have the massive over-utilisation and erosion caused by skiing, hiking and mtb in some parts of the world (dare I mention Morzine and surrounds?). I would be much in support of a responsible attitude to development and for this to be done in consultation with the authorities. From contacts I have, belive me that we are a hair's breadth from an outright ban on mtb in the park because many have pushed the boundaries and not stuck to permitted trails in the past.

Please don't be the box that wrecks it for all of us. If you really must adventure in the mountains with your bike then Lesotho is far less regulated and has much more rideable terrain than the Little 'Berg region referred in this thread.

One of those pilots mentioned has already trashed at least 1 chopper in the mountains and I have witnessed his approach to flying at altitude 1st hand.

As a long time hiker, climber and mtb'er with extensive knowledge and experience of the Drakensberg I am happy to debate some of the issues mentioned here if they seem a bit controversial to you.

Yes we would all like to see mtb access improved but understand that this environment is very sensitive and critically important to the water supply of KZN. There are many forces at play and access will have to be negotiated carefully to avoid a hardening of attitude by authorities who have limited budget for developing and monitoring a new activity. It is easier for them to just say no.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk