Tandem(what make)

limosine

We (wife and myself) are looking at the tandem way of cycling for a while now.I looked at the Raleigh (well priced) but 90% op people tell me the Cannondale is the only tandem you buy(its expensive)I see jmaccelri has got a Raleigh.Is disc brakes a good option.

Your views please

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Raleigh 2008 tandem, blue and black one. Very happy with it. Only two complaints, and this might be size specific. I ordered the Large/Small one, versus the XL/Medium one. Mine came with 170mm cranks on the front which was too short for me, but the 170's on the back was perfect for my partner. Raleigh didn't want to swop me for some longer cranks. Be that as it may, this might not be an issue for you. I managed to source longer cranks myself. Also, the Raleigh seats are the devil. Replace immediately, couldn't do more than 40km at a time.

Also, the spokes are supposed to be stainless steel, but mine are showing serious corrosion. Should probably ask Brandon Els what he thinks of that.

I've heard from a couple that used to own a raleigh and now owns a dale that the raleigh frame is fractionally lighter than the dale.

I'm happy with it, given the few gripes.

The best money can buy' date=' PINARELLO 4POWER

20080505_073128_pi_tand08_blue_.jpg
[/quote']

Nice.

But for the real best:

http://www.tandemcycleworks.com/tandem/newdfly.jpg

Calfee...

We (wife and myself) are looking at the tandem way of cycling for a while now.I looked at the Raleigh (well priced) but 90% op people tell me the Cannondale is the only tandem you buy(its expensive)I see jmaccelri has got a Raleigh.Is disc brakes a good option.

Your views please

I have just bought a tandem without any prior experience, so am a complete

newbie, so take my comments with a pinch of salt!

I have the 2008 Raleigh T6000 (blue & black). It is a M/XL, so I had to replace the

120mm stem with a 60mm to accommodate me at the front. I also had Doug

Paterson put in an extra two water bottle points, since there was only one for the

pilot and my stoker is a thirsty lad (must be Irish blood). He's also going to rebuild

the wheels with stainless steel spokes and solder them for me. The cassette is

some cr@ppy Taiwanese 12/25 thing and I'm going to replace it with a decent

Shimano 11/23. Chains are also no-name and will go at some stage.

Why the Raleigh?

- good price;

- readily available;

- well appointed:

- decent Mavic A719 rims with Continental 28mm Gatorskins

- decent Shimano 105 groupset with triple chainring

- great Tektro brakes with boosters (not not, as you require)

- nice SRAM Elita cranks

so it's basically a good bike (as far as I can see) at a good price.

Bob the Builder :Wat se maak is dit en prys asb

That's a Calfee... its full carbon, reportedly weighs in at 12.4 kg's, with pedals... Frame only is a US$7000.00Dead

I've raced a cannondale tandem, and used a Fuel and a Raleigh... for just starting out, I'd go with a fuel or raleigh...

Guest Big H
The best money can buy' date=' PINARELLO 4POWER

[/quote']

Nice.

But for the real best:
http://www.tandemcycleworks.com/tandem/newdfly.jpg

Calfee...

Is this the Black Chinese Bamboo Calfee. Where is the long triangle stiffener on this frame???????

Dunno H, but it looks cool, and if that claimed weight is true, that's real light. But like I said, I'd go Raleigh for my own tandem...

I have just sold my Cannondale but can tell you that it is a superb tandem frame  - very stiff and very light.

I also looked at the Raleigh and it looks like a decent bike, but if you can afford it then I would seriously consider a Cannondale. You will also find the resale is better if/when you decide to sell it.

Also' date=' the spokes are supposed to be stainless steel, but mine are showing serious corrosion. Should probably ask Brandon Els what he thinks of that.
[/quote']

Corrosion? I sincerely doubt those spokes are galvanised iron. But why not take a good macro photo of it and post it here, we'll quickly identify the corrosion...or not.