News bot

Cycling South Africa’s Mountain Bike Commission has great pleasure in announcing that the following riders have been selected to represent South Africa at the 2016 UCI Mountain Bike Cross-Country World Championships at Nové Mēsto na Moravē, Czech Republic, from 29 June to 3 July.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elite Men:

Philip Buys

James Reid

Sipho Madolo

Under-23 Men:

Alan Hatherly

Junior Men:

Henry Liebenberg

Junior Women:

Danielle Strydom

gees, no women met the criteria? really 

i just checked the uci rankings, i know it's not what they used specifically, but our highest ranked elite is cherie vale in 30th in wome's elite. phil buys is 46th and sipho madolo is 210

i just checked the uci rankings, i know it's not what they used specifically, but our highest ranked elite is cherie vale in 30th in wome's elite. phil buys is 46th and sipho madolo is 210

Yes it would be really interesting to know the selection criteria. I mean if neither Mariske or Cherie can be selected for the World Champs then one could be forgiven for thinking that any Olympic dreams they had for Rio is completely done for. And that plain sucks.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

couldnt agree more, how can you send someone who is ranked 210th and not send our best female. disappointing when government gets involved in sport. 

Yes it would be really interesting to know the selection criteria. I mean if neither Mariske or Cherie can be selected for the World Champs then one could be forgiven for thinking that any Olympic dreams they had for Rio is completely done for. And that plain sucks.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

The women didn't meet the Olympic qualifying criteria to go to RIO. According to Nation rankings we can't send a female to RIO. Edited by Gen

Seems that this is the main part of the criteria:

7.0 Performance Criteria

7.01 It is again emphasized that team selection is not automatic on meeting the performance criteria
7.02 The ability of riders to meet the targets in competition will also be assessed
7.03 To be eligible for team selection, riders would need to meet the minimum criteria detailed below
7.04 If no riders in any specific category or group meet the criteria, then no riders will be selected for that
Category
7.05 PDI riders will still have to meet the selection criteria, but the percentage targets below will be
increased by 10%

7.06 Cross Country – XCO:
7.06.001 XCO – Men
Riders must have average lap times of no more than the percentages [%] shown below for the
fastest Elite Male athlete in SA in at least 3 events where the top SA Elite Athlete is
competing, or the winning Elite male as indicated above:

7.06.002 Elite Men
7.06.003 Target: Top 30 at World Champs
7.06.004 Team: 105% Squad: 107%

7.06.005 U23 Men
7.06.006 Target: Top 20 at World Champs
7.06.007 Team: 105% Squad: 107%

7.06.008 Junior Men
7.06.009 Target: Top 20 at World Champs
7.06.010 Team: 110% Squad: 115%

7.06.011 Youth Men [talent identification only]
Squad: 115%

7.06.012 XCO – Women

7.06.013 Elite Women
7.03.014 Target: Top 20 at World Champs
7.03.015 Team: 120% Squad: 125%

7.06.016 U23 Women
7.06.017 Target: Top 20 at World Champs
7.06.018 Team: 120% Squad: 125%

7.06.019 Junior Women
7.06.020 Target: Top 20 at World Champs
7.06.021 Team: 130% Squad: 135%

7.06.022 Youth Women [talent identification only]
Squad: 135%

Guest Lancesball

Problem comes in that the ladies do actually qualify and communication had gone out on it earlier. Now CSA are saying cause the ladies never matched the % required in 2 events. However, those 2 events were PMB festival which was measured on weather and the other was African champs in leotho but there according to male Elite times they did match it but additional was added which Im not getting into.

There is more coming from this and wont be surprised if the Ladies go to Worlds where they rightfully deserve to go.

Guest Lancesball

The women didn't meet the Olympic qualifying criteria to go to RIO. According to Nation rankings we can't send a female to RIO.

Please dig deeper and find out why they never. 

The girls already can't goto Rio and now this! Are CSA trying to squash woman's XCO on purpose?

Please dig deeper and find out why they never.

They didn't score enough UCI points

If you watched the women's XCO on Sunday you would've seen why the German ladies were so happy with their placements . It was the last chance to score points and they did enough to send I think 3 ladies to RIO.

SA ladies were very lax trying to score the points .. they should have been riding more UCI races (perhaps smaller races) to score points, qualifying criteria was set long ago.

Edited by Gen

Its all about "representation" they dont give a f#k about performance, as long as we have a 210th placed PD then who cares, this will be the cause of ALL of our sport going down the drain

The girls can't goto Rio because:

a)  South Africa won the continental quotas in men's and women's mountain bike, but decided not to accept them. South African sports confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) and Cycling South Africa (CSA) made an agreement on the Rio 2016 Olympics qualification criteria that the Continental Qualification route will not be considered.

b)This is for Woman specifically: Countries ranked from 1 to 8 can take 2 athletes to Rio. teams ranked from 9 to 17 can take 1 athlete to Rio. South Africa is currently ranked 21st giving us 0 Rio spots.

So because we forfeited our continental quotas no woman athletes will be going to Rio for XCO.