• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

Just a word of warning - recently purchased an Orca 226 suit for the wife and myself. After my first race, my wife pointed out that while on the bike, the rear is completely see through. Shocking for a top end suit from reputable brand. I have tweeted and mailed them, but no response as yet.

Happy tri'ing :P

I think I see your problem...these tri-suits are not made for two people at a time... :ph34r:

seriously, thanks for the heads-up, please keep us updated.

I think I see your problem...these tri-suits are not made for two people at a time... :ph34r:

seriously, thanks for the heads-up, please keep us updated.

Haha! Funny :P

Yeah, it's not ideal hey

Question:  For those of you new to triathlons and those who do triathlons, the fourth discipline is NUTRITION.  How many of you have any idea of your needs or post race analyse what your body expended?

Most of us have the equipment, we buy garmin/Suunto/TomTom watches etc.  Each training run/cycle even swim will give you your calories for that workout or race.

I don't believe that these watches or devices give a good indication of calories burned. There is a general formula, but I believe a well trained athlete will be more energy efficient than a novice for example. There are just too many factors in play to make any sort of assumptions with certainty. 

I log what I eat and drink on long training rides and then take notes after (RPE, how I felt after, etc). I also have Training Peaks set up to show calories expended versus calories consumed on a daily basis (and when I bother to track what I eat). I do this to generally get a feeling if I am eating too much or too little according to my training load. I did find, interestingly, that I wouldn't eat enough on the weekends, and then I would binge at the start of the week. 

To make things even more complicated, women's nutrition requirements while racing (carbs and hydration) are also different depending on certain hormonal levels. I have done a couple of sweat tests, so I know how much hydration I need in cool and warm conditions. 

My general rules are as follows:

• 60 to 70 grams of carbs per hour during long rides and on race day (I am using FarBars now as I have bloating issues with gels).
  • 750ml of electrolytes per hour during long rides and runs. 
  • I try eat nutritious, colourful food, with around 1.4g of protein per KG of body weight. My macros I aim for are 45% carb, 25% protein and 30% fat. If I want a chocolate, or ice cream, I will eat it, as long as it fits into my macro percentages and fits within my calorie intake for the day. 

I try keep things as simple as possible.

I don't believe that these watches or devices give a good indication of calories burned. There is a general formula, but I believe a well trained athlete will be more energy efficient than a novice for example. There are just too many factors in play to make any sort of assumptions with certainty. 

I log what I eat and drink on long training rides and then take notes after (RPE, how I felt after, etc). I also have Training Peaks set up to show calories expended versus calories consumed on a daily basis (and when I bother to track what I eat). I do this to generally get a feeling if I am eating too much or too little according to my training load. I did find, interestingly, that I wouldn't eat enough on the weekends, and then I would binge at the start of the week. 

To make things even more complicated, women's nutrition requirements while racing (carbs and hydration) are also different depending on certain hormonal levels. I have done a couple of sweat tests, so I know how much hydration I need in cool and warm conditions. 

My general rules are as follows:

• 60 to 70 grams of carbs per hour during long rides and on race day (I am using FarBars now as I have bloating issues with gels).
  • 750ml of electrolytes per hour during long rides and runs. 
  • I try eat nutritious, colourful food, with around 1.4g of protein per KG of body weight. My macros I aim for are 45% carb, 25% protein and 30% fat. If I want a chocolate, or ice cream, I will eat it, as long as it fits into my macro percentages and fits within my calorie intake for the day. 

I try keep things as simple as possible.

At least you are looking at your nutrition plan and many are not, the point was to highlight that it is important to consider and not just a training plan  Calories is a starting point, there no other way to measure it and as it is based on you for you whether fit or unfit it is relevant to you.... which adapts as you get fitter.

My caveat is that everyone is different and to use it as a starting point and adjust from there if you have no other idea or plan for nutrition... and find what works.

Yes women are different and certain factors affect them/you rather than a mean average Joe. 

Similarly, me as a particular case having been diagnosed pre-diabetic 18 months ago, my requirements for carbs for an endurance event is minimal, I need protein more than carbs (2 protein : 1 carb).... to which I fuel that on the bike leg and I run a sub 4hr IM marathon on water alone, no carbs, no coke, no gels, no food.... my body does not need it.... i have sufficient sugar/glycogen... and eat enough protein on the bike for the bike and run and fuel the run from my fat stores.

Similarly, me as a particular case having been diagnosed pre-diabetic 18 months ago, my requirements for carbs for an endurance event is minimal, I need protein more than carbs (2 protein : 1 carb).... to which I fuel that on the bike leg and I run a sub 4hr IM marathon on water alone, no carbs, no coke, no gels, no food.... my body does not need it.... i have sufficient sugar/glycogen... and eat enough protein on the bike for the bike and run and fuel the run from my fat stores.

This is awesome. I do my long runs fasted, and with just 750ml of High 5. I also think I am not going to consume much on a the run portion of a 70.3. An IM may be different though. Just think I don't do well with calories while running. But, I need more race time to know this, so have to be patient. 

@shaper, just for interest sake, could you share what you used at the Ironman wrt nutrition during the course of the day?

As am pre-diabetic I am generally on a low carb, high protein, medium fat lifestyle to control my blood sugar levels.

However for racing I can and do increase my carbs as need it for racing, so will carbo load like any triathlete 2-3 days before. (Periodic carbo loading)

Race morning will be a protein shake upon waking with breakfast of oats, then scrambled eggs (protein) and bacon. I drink tea, no coffee.

Whilst in transition will eat a banana and sip an energade.  (keeping hydrated)

In the pens for the swim, with 20mins or so to go, will eat a large protein bar and finish the energade.

T1, I have a small water bottle filled with 1 part game, 2 parts protein which will drink and have a hot cross bun to half eat and finish on the first 5 mins of the bike leg.

Bike leg I carry 3 bottles mixed with carb and protein and eat far bars and protein bars.  When my drinks are finished I grab the hi5 drinks on the fly at the aid stations (think was 2), as am usually around the 130-140kms and need some carbs to finish the cycle leg.  Am still eating my protein bars to try and balance requirements.

T2, I have another small bottle of water/protein that i down as well as a protein cookie or another hot cross bun, depending on how am feeling, I decide which is more needed, protein or something a little more solid in the bun.

Run leg as said is water only, as i have trained for minimal carbs and to get the energy off my fat stores. (ketosis)

Post race is a recovery drink/rehydrate as quickly as possible (I have in my street ware bag for mixing with the water bottle they give you at the finish) and I eat anything I can find in the final aid station where you can usually get fruit, sandwiches, pizza, burgers, soup, ice-creams, tea, coffee and beer.

Day after a full Ironman I will still eat normally as both carbs and protein help with the recovery.

Thereafter I will be back to my LCHP lifestyle.

This is particular to me, it is based on my predisposition and my blood sugar levels etc, and works for me..... I doubt it will work for anyone else.

But there are times and places to eat, breakfast, before entering the water, T1, Cycle leg, T2, even the run leg, but does not work for everyone hence the nausea and vomiting and I would say try to stick to gels/coke/water on the run rather than solid food as is difficult to digest...hence my point on nutrition, you need to plan and try on your long training rides/runs or shorter races to see what works for you.

Great, thanks for sharing :thumbup: 

I personally struggle with gels and bars, they normally upset my stomach and I seem to operate much better on normal foods while doing endurance events but I'm going to have to find something that works for me before next years IM.

Hi all.

Just a word of warning - recently purchased an Orca 226 suit for the wife and myself. After my first race, my wife pointed out that while on the bike, the rear is completely see through. Shocking for a top end suit from reputable brand. I have tweeted and mailed them, but no response as yet.

Don’t post pics

I personally struggle with gels and bars, they normally upset my stomach and I seem to operate much better on normal foods while doing endurance events but I'm going to have to find something that works for me before next years IM.

Cool, it also depends on your goal, to just finish or to race, if to just finish then there is plenty of time to eat solid food at the transitions or even stop on the cycle leg at the aid stations and eat solid food on the tables.... if like me there to race, race myself against the course and time... then eating and nutrition will be considerably different.

You have plenty of time to work out an practice a nutrition plan that works before next year!

Edit, maybe cut out the gels till later in a race, as for bars, just nibble, perhaps eat quarter of a bar every 5 minutes rather than a whole bar in one go, your stomach might digest it better

Edited by shaper

Hi all.

copy me on the mail please

shamus at fluidlines dot co dot za

I'll get the right person to respond 

That's the type of service we need more of in this country, good on you Sir

Thanks. Will reach out if I don't come right - Orca international have reached out  :thumbup:

I also used to struggle a LOT with gels. I have recently been them into my training rides and my system is now getting used to them. It can be expensive, but you can't expect your body to just adapt on race day to a new type of nutrition - especially if you are pushing your body at the same time :)