• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next years 70.3 World Champs to be in NZL, any hubbers living there aiming for qualifying slots?

Have family there and have done Taupo 70.3 and its a beautiful swim in chilly waters but pancake flat in the lake(which is like the size of the sea). Bike is made for a PB, Flat and fast and green fields with beautiful views. The run is the only thing that is a let down as it is in the town and along roads with a bit of the lake view.

Edited by Wheelsuck

Have family there and have done Taupo 70.3 and its a beautiful swim in chilly waters but pancake flat in the lake(which is like the size of the sea). Bike is made for a PB, Flat and fast and green fields with beautiful views. The run is the only thing that is a let down as it is he town and along roads with a bit of the lake view.

So is that your confession of targeting a slot?  ;)

Next years 70.3 World Champs to be in NZL, any hubbers living there aiming for qualifying slots?

I think next year is Nice France and 2020 is Taupo New Zealand.

Edited by _David_

Check the tweet, I think next year is 2019, not 2020...  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

So another noob question here

Swimming... 
I am getting much better wrt my technique and my breathing, especially since I started doing drills to get comfortable in the water and swim without constantly being out of breath and feeling like I am drowning. However, still can't swim more than 4 laps continuous without having to stop for a few seconds at least to catch my breath. I am sure a bunch of you have had the same problem and how long will it take for me to start getting comfortable enough in the water to swim upward op 1000m without stopping?

Swimming... 

I am getting much better wrt my technique and my breathing, especially since I started doing drills to get comfortable in the water and swim without constantly being out of breath and feeling like I am drowning. However, still can't swim more than 4 laps continuous without having to stop for a few seconds at least to catch my breath. I am sure a bunch of you have had the same problem and how long will it take for me to start getting comfortable enough in the water to swim upward op 1000m without stopping?

Maybe its a pacing thing? Slow down and focus on your form.

Swimming... 

My hubby really only just started swimming laps in June, and he's up to do 800m open water without any issues only within the last month.  

A few questions for you, how often are you swimming, are you constantly exhaling and taking inhalations?  Are you breathing every second stroke only or are you trying to breath every 3rd or 4th stroke?

My hubby really only just started swimming laps in June, and he's up to do 800m open water without any issues only within the last month.  

A few questions for you, how often are you swimming, are you constantly exhaling and taking inhalations?  Are you breathing every second stroke only or are you trying to breath every 3rd or 4th stroke?

Thanks for the reply.

I swim 3-4 times per week, usually around 30-45 mins per session. 

Constantly exhaling (the drills I am doing is to get used to constantly exhaling, while staying relaxed in the water)

I am breathing every second stroke

I only started swimming laps in July.

Is this something you get used to over time (i.e. you gain fitness in the water), or will I have that "a-ha!" moment once I get it right and be able to swim for long periods of time without losing my breath?

Swimming... 

I say just keep at it. The more you practice, the more comfortable you'll feel. When you feel more comfortable you'll stop feeling the need to gasp for air. The more comfortable you get the more efficient your stroke will get, that too just calms you down and again leads to more chilled breathing. 

For me it came all at once. Also from doing rounds and rounds of 4 laps, suddenly I could do 10. It'll come.

Thanks for the reply.

I swim 3-4 times per week, usually around 30-45 mins per session. 

Constantly exhaling (the drills I am doing is to get used to constantly exhaling, while staying relaxed in the water)

I am breathing every second stroke

I only started swimming laps in July.

Is this something you get used to over time (i.e. you gain fitness in the water), or will I have that "a-ha!" moment once I get it right and be able to swim for long periods of time without losing my breath?

It's kind of an a-ha moment tbh.  You're obviously putting in the time in the pool, so should be fine by now or at least seeing big improvements.

some things to try:

- slow down (like david said), if you're bashing the water your muscles use a lot of oxygen.

- try only using a pull buoy, this will help you focus on your stroke and your leg muscles are larger so use more oxygen

- try to include some laps where you breath every 3rd or 4th stroke, this will force you to exhale more slowly, which I think might be your actual problem, ie you're breathing too much

It's kind of an a-ha moment tbh.  You're obviously putting in the time in the pool, so should be fine by now or at least seeing big improvements.

some things to try:

- slow down (like david said), if you're bashing the water your muscles use a lot of oxygen.

- try only using a pull buoy, this will help you focus on your stroke and your leg muscles are larger so use more oxygen

- try to include some laps where you breath every 3rd or 4th stroke, this will force you to exhale more slowly, which I think might be your actual problem, ie you're breathing too much

Swimming... 

Stop worrying about distance that will come rather focus on the technical side -you can swim 6km with bad form and it will mean niks. Swimming is more technical than we think. So with the breathing are you taking deap breaths when you inhale-like overextending the inhale to get as much oxygen in? If so just breathe in normally instead of gulping as much as possible as that can create stress. Some guys have suggested that you try to take more strokes to breathe-I would suggest the opposite and start with even 2 strokes-then up to 3 which makes you a bilateral breather-which is good for sea swells coming from left or right and to avoid them.   Also look at your stroke rate-if you can glide more it will limit the stroke rate and the energy required. Also go see a coach to help you maybe as I am speculating with the advice. Dont stress about getting it right-small victories and soon you will be wondering why you were stressing when you rock out a 3km session.    

Edited by Wheelsuck

I swear, getting back into the swing of things is harder than the actual sessions. Been away for like 4 months from it all, and contemplating doing a 6 month build to Durban. But keep things light and with a goal to finish.