hmmm

Well, at least the athletes received a fair amount of notice. Saw some other IM event switch out their nutrition partner two weeks before the race. IIRC it was IM UK and the switch was from High 5 to Infinit. Athletes were complaining about how stupidly expensive it was compared to the High 5. 

Hopefully it is more available than High 5. 

Edited by EmJayZA

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my eldest lad who turns 30 this year decides he wants to do a couple of tris in the summer...he has entered into a sprint in May and an Olympic in August. So I entered too and we have a lil side bet going on...

gonna be amazing to participate in tris with my lad.... maybe the bug bites, who knows but either way some memories gonna be created.

Hi all, so I just entered the 70.3 Durban in June 2019. my first ironman.

which good training programs are out there? 

figured i've got 6 months.

I've got good fitness (completed transbaviaans 230km mtb in 13h, midmar in 35min and i've done the irene ultra run in 5 hours when training for them specifically)

i've only ever done two short distance tri's (buffelspoort short and a redhub event last year)

approx 10h a week exercise time.

thanks in advance

I've got good fitness (completed transbaviaans 230km mtb in 13h, midmar in 35min and i've done the irene ultra run in 5 hours when training for them specifically)

i've only ever done two short distance tri's (buffelspoort short and a redhub event last year)

thanks in advance

Sounds like you will be fine. Take the first one as a learning curve.

The internet is awash with training programs, 220 Magazine normally has programs printed in as well for various distances so try and find one.

But seriously, judging bt yr fitness levels and abilities you going to ace it. The Durban event is a sweet intro to middle and longer distance triathlons,

Thanks Man, feel okay with each individual discipline but when stringing them together... haha well we’ll see. Thanks, I’ve googled and found some but eish never know which are legit. Thanks for input, appreciated

thanks in advance

Join a club like Embark, focused on a specific race and blocks of training to make sure you'll be ready.

Thanks Man, feel okay with each individual discipline but when stringing them together... haha well we’ll see. Thanks, I’ve googled and found some but eish never know which are legit. Thanks for input, appreciated

Get some openwater swimming in. Its where most people get themselves unstuck on their first race. The rest should be business as usual for you really.

Get some openwater swimming in. Its where most people get themselves unstuck on their first race. The rest should be business as usual for you really.

Thanks. I'm in Moreleta Park. Only open water I know of is Heia / Cradle Moon in Muldersdrift. 

Been there a few times but it's a bit of a drive. Are there any open waters closer? Rietvlei dam? That dam in Benoni / Edenvale? thanks 

Thanks. I'm in Moreleta Park. Only open water I know of is Heia / Cradle Moon in Muldersdrift. 

Been there a few times but it's a bit of a drive. Are there any open waters closer? Rietvlei dam? That dam in Benoni / Edenvale? thanks 

its worth the drive to Cradle , you can spend a morning and to two sessions. 

We race the Ultra yesterday and that dam is one of the best we have, not much risk of getting a loose gut so to speak .

its worth the drive to Cradle , you can spend a morning and to two sessions. 

We race the Ultra yesterday and that dam is one of the best we have, not much risk of getting a loose gut so to speak .

How did it go? the heat must have been a big factor

Duanelr Durban was pancake flat since it moved to Ushaka side. Previously not so much. So you will be fine. 

Edited by Wheelsuck

Duanelr Durban was pancake flat since it moved to Ushaka side. Previously not so much. So you will be fine.

Still a good idea to get some open water swimming in, even if it's glass flat, it's still very different to swimming in a pool, especially regarding sighting bouys and swimming in straight lines

How did it go? the heat must have been a big factor

Swim was great , the cycle was on the tough side for a tri as the cradle is not flat plus the heat made it a challange.

the run however was brutal , hands down the hardest 21 i have ever done of any kind .

it had about 4km of trail that you started and finished on with about 366m of climbing in stupid hot heat so to finish was tough .

The dam in Benoni (Homestead) is usually fine for swimming however not right now as it was reported that there was a sewage spill about a month back so we are waiting for proper rain to wash it down river.

Also another note, do lots of Brick training... It really helps

• 3 weeks later...