Also doing xterra full... cant wait for all hell to be unleashed when they release all swimmers at one go.....

When I started Triathlons in the early 2000's nobody gave me a single stitch of advice. I was a strongish swimmer and my old man had a decent road bike (I had an MTB at the time) and I decided one of my goals was to do a triathlon.... Entered the Mens Health Series ( filled in a form, wrote out a cheque, the good old days) and rock up at Grabouw Country club. Whistle goes and I get klapped, skopped, swam over every way I could think of... I nearly drowned ... fortunately for me I was born and raised on the Cape Flats and the only thing I knew to do was to fight back... Happy days, every Triathlon is now approached in the same way .. until I moved to the UK. 

I entered a Tri on the South Coast, as the start gun went off I dived in, forced my way between two guys who both jumped out of the way and apologised to me that they were in my way and said I was more than welcome to go ahead.... LMAO I apologised to them and went on my way. I guess they didn't do it the same way we did.... :eek:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I tried Redhub, but the youngest age they seem to cater for is16. Would have been nice to be able to have some events on our side of the city.

Problem seems to be with TSA not wanting to allow younger participants.

Surely there must be hundreds of young  kids in this country that can safely manage a 750m swim and 20km road cycle, even if they then have to walk the final 5km.

Will now contactTrinity and give feedback.

Edited by Rolling Stone

Thanks I tried Redhub, but the youngest age they seem to cater for is16. Would have been nice to be able to have some events on our side of the city.

Problem seems to be with TSA not wanting to allow younger participants.

Surely there must be hundreds of young kids in this country that can safely manage a 750m swim and 20km road cycle, even if they then have to walk the final 5km.

Will now contactTrinity and give feedback.

Checked out Trinitt and they offer a mini Triathlon for ages 12-15

450m swim, 10km bike, 2.5 km run.

Will go and give it a Tri

hi there all, need tips on buying first tri suite...

some questions: 

sleeves / sleevless?

Best make? (orca, 2xu, ...)

locally available? (which stores)

ball park price and lastly

proper fit 

thanks in advance

Sleeves all the way. Can be used in olympic distance as well as longer distances.

Orca or 2XU are the only brands that ive had experience with lately - both are good.

Make sure the fit is correct so buy new to start with and get the proper fit advice from a good shop.

Sleeves all the way. Can be used in olympic distance as well as longer distances.

Orca or 2XU are the only brands that ive had experience with lately - both are good.

Make sure the fit is correct so buy new to start with and get the proper fit advice from a good shop.

I moved to sleeves and I cook in it-but then in sleeveless if mommy/sherpa doesnt lather you up with enough sunscreen those little tender areas that are exposed boil nicely in the sun. 

What I also have is the l loose cooling sleeves that are like cycling arm warmers/coolers and that really helps the cooling down and if you keep it wet it really is the bomb.

In short I would recommend a very breathable/cool sleeve top -I have a SPORTFUL R&D cycling  top that is very breathable  as I find the Tri brands tend to not be as breathable and that keeps me from overheating

• 2 weeks later...

kicking drills in the pool: fins or no fins?

the program I googled said either works. I've been doing all kicking drills without fins up to now but see most people use them. what are the pros and cons here? thanks

kicking drills in the pool: fins or no fins?

the program I googled said either works. I've been doing all kicking drills without fins up to now but see most people use them. what are the pros and cons here? thanks

I use fins, because I find it easier

google: "Applying fins to kick training and swimming will dramatically increase your ankle's adaptation to a more efficient flutter and dolphin kick. The added resistance of the fins will reinforce proper kick mechanics so you improve faster than kicking or swimming without fins."

Edited by _David_

I am the versuipslag swimmer here. Just started. Again. Did a set with fins on a friend of mine's (who is also a swimming coach) recommendation in the week and can agree that it really works your ankle. And felt like the entire drill also helped me kick more from the hips.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

So I have a Merida Scultura 5000 Road bike and have signed up for the Sun City Ultra 70.3 and would like to make a purchase of clip on bars however I'm not sure how to go about selecting the right ones. 

I have done about 5 Olympic Tri's on the RB and all has gone well so far however think that on the longer distances, I would benefit from the more aero position. I'm guessing that with the Clip on bars, a seat position change would be in order as well by moving it higher and more forward.

I would be using the bike for normal road races as well hence the reason for clip on's.

Thanks

Hi All

So I have a Merida Scultura 5000 Road bike and have signed up for the Sun City Ultra 70.3 and would like to make a purchase of clip on bars however I'm not sure how to go about selecting the right ones. 

I have done about 5 Olympic Tri's on the RB and all has gone well so far however think that on the longer distances, I would benefit from the more aero position. I'm guessing that with the Clip on bars, a seat position change would be in order as well by moving it higher and more forward.

I would be using the bike for normal road races as well hence the reason for clip on's.

Thanks

You'll definitely benefit. Sun City has a really nice long out and back which some extra aero will be great. 

I hate changing anything on a bike though. Especially something vital like a seat position. If you haven't practiced the new more-forward position you'll blow your quads up big time and the ride will be awful. So I'd be weary about changing your tried and tested position. 

I have the ITU on Sunday and my calf muscle and back of my knee is not happy after a 11km run home on Monday. 

I'm feeling super sorry for myself, done the compression thing Monday evening, did the ice last night (and in my onnie this morning at my desk as I was alone in the office) and popped some anti inflammatories. 

I'm saying this cause I'm looking for messages of support like, don't worry you'll be fine or you doing the right thing just rest it till Sunday. 

Don't worry about replying to this saying "jou dom "box" what were you expecting" cause I've already said that to myself.....

Hope you heal up man! Nothing of this dom boks things - it's not as if a calf usually goes on a short run.