This might find better audience here...

The Iron Cowboy - James Lawrence is doing the Cape Epic this year. I see hes paired with a saffer, they're about middle of the field after stage 1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2019 SA Triathlon Champs (Age Groups) and Africa Cup (Elites) takes place on the Durban beachfront this Sunday starting at 07:00am; why not come down and watch if you’re in the area...

post-93137-0-17481500-1553061305_thumb.png

More info at www.satrichamps.co.za

Edited by amr63

The 2019 SA Triathlon Champs (Age Groups) and Africa Cup (Elites) takes place on the Durban beachfront this Sunday starting at 07:00am; why not come down and watch if you’re in the area...

attachicon.gifE3015023-ECDD-4BC9-9AB1-4745D9A1A15E.png

More info at www.satrichamps.co.za

Should be a great event driving down tomorrow making it into a short holiday

Hi All

So I have a Merida Scultura 5000 Road bike and have signed up for the Sun City Ultra 70.3 and would like to make a purchase of clip on bars however I'm not sure how to go about selecting the right ones. 

I have done about 5 Olympic Tri's on the RB and all has gone well so far however think that on the longer distances, I would benefit from the more aero position. I'm guessing that with the Clip on bars, a seat position change would be in order as well by moving it higher and more forward.

I would be using the bike for normal road races as well hence the reason for clip on's.

Thanks

Hi All 

So I managed to get my hands on second hand Cervelo P2 for a decent price and got a fit for the bike yesterday. Turns out this is the only Bike I have ever had that actually fits me  :thumbup: . I am now looking at getting a rear bottle cage setup however it seems that I would have to look at something like the Xlab turbo wing to do the trick (link below). is there possibly any other products that you may know of that will do the same thing?

https://fluidlines.co.za/collections/xlab/products/xlab-turbo-wing-black

Thanks

Hi All 

So I managed to get my hands on second hand Cervelo P2 for a decent price and got a fit for the bike yesterday. Turns out this is the only Bike I have ever had that actually fits me  :thumbup: . I am now looking at getting a rear bottle cage setup however it seems that I would have to look at something like the Xlab turbo wing to do the trick (link below). is there possibly any other products that you may know of that will do the same thing?

https://fluidlines.co.za/collections/xlab/products/xlab-turbo-wing-black

Thanks

target300_e66bbb71__PD-Hydration-RMP-Cag

https://profile-design.com/products/rmp-1

Edited by _David_

Thanks for the responses.

I unfortunately won't be able to go for the Profile Design as there won't be enough saddle rails for it to connect to and the peat post is about 4 meters to long.

Seems the XLab version is the only one I can go for.

Now to find a second hand one somewhere...

post-74802-0-68127200-1553793982_thumb.jpg

So I decided I want to do a triathlon (I mean why suck at one sport if you can suck at 3 :P ).  One problem though, Im really a novice when it comes to swimming, its only been part of my life as a recreational activity when on holiday or at a braai  :eek:

The running and cycling is not a problem for me, Im slow but I can do a 100KM ride under 4 hours and a 10KM run under an hour. 

Now the question is how do I actually get myself ready to do all 3 in one go?  Ive done a couple of training sessions on Saturdays where I would cycle 30KM and run 9KM all in one go. 

Should I maybe try an openwater swim first before I attempt my first sprint?  I was thinking of doing the Redhub sprint end of April, but Im sooo nervous about the swimming.  All my swimming training has been in the 25M pool (heated) at the gym, under the supervision of a very strict coach.  All training sessions lasting an hour or so.

Ive been told that it is best to get a wetsuit, whether it be rent, borrow or buy.  Is that true?  Do I really need a wetsuit for the 750M swim?  I guess it will be quite cold end of April...

Ive been looking at getting a sailfin tri-suit from Cyclefo.  Any feedback on them?  At the price Im sure it is worth the gamble of buying online?

TL:DR: Want to do triathlon but the swimming is scaring the bib shorts off of me.... Do I need a wetsuit and a trisuit?

if you can swim in a pool for an hour you can do a sprint triathlon (I assume you do about 2500-3000m in the hour). Just start at the back of the bunch so people don't swim over you and take it easily at your own pace. Worst case, you can flip over and do backstroke for a bit (I did this in my first triathlon) and there are plenty of life guards on paddle boards etc.

As far as the wetsuit goes, I did the April Redhub triathlon last year without a wetsuit and it was cold but not unreasonable (although I think it was a few weeks earlier). That said, I would definitely recommend getting a wetsuit because it is obviously warmer but it also makes the swim much easier because you are far more buoyant. You don't need to buy one, a lot of places allow you to rent a wetsuit and if you then buy it the rental amount is seen as a deposit. (fluidlines.co.za , troisport.com as well as others).

A trisuit is also not strictly necessary but it does save a lot of time being able to do all 3 sports in the same outfit (You don't want to swim or run in a normal pair of bibs). Also there weren't any changing facilities in the transition area last time I did a triathlon so that could get pretty awkward.

As a final note, don't be worried about the swim, for a sprint it's really not bad and you can always backstroke it for a while if you have to (just be sure to check that you are still heading in the right direction reasonable frequently unlike me, I got stopped by one of the life guards and told I was heading in the wrong direction at one point  :P )

Thanks 

if you can swim in a pool for an hour you can do a sprint triathlon (I assume you do about 2500-3000m in the hour). Just start at the back of the bunch so people don't swim over you and take it easily at your own pace. Worst case, you can flip over and do backstroke for a bit (I did this in my first triathlon) and there are plenty of life guards on paddle boards etc.

As far as the wetsuit goes, I did the April Redhub triathlon last year without a wetsuit and it was cold but not unreasonable (although I think it was a few weeks earlier). That said, I would definitely recommend getting a wetsuit because it is obviously warmer but it also makes the swim much easier because you are far more buoyant. You don't need to buy one, a lot of places allow you to rent a wetsuit and if you then buy it the rental amount is seen as a deposit. (fluidlines.co.za , troisport.com as well as others).

A trisuit is also not strictly necessary but it does save a lot of time being able to do all 3 sports in the same outfit (You don't want to swim or run in a normal pair of bibs). Also there weren't any changing facilities in the transition area last time I did a triathlon so that could get pretty awkward.

As a final note, don't be worried about the swim, for a sprint it's really not bad and you can always backstroke it for a while if you have to (just be sure to check that you are still heading in the right direction reasonable frequently unlike me, I got stopped by one of the life guards and told I was heading in the wrong direction at one point  :P )

Thanks for the advice! I dont really know how far I actually swim in the pool since quite a bit of the training is done with paddles, fins or boards.

Challenge Family comes to Cape Town

https://challenge-cape-town.com/

post-11586-0-92009800-1554979344_thumb.png

We are thrilled to confirm that the inaugural Challenge Cape Town will take place on 9-11 November 2019 – a first in SA and Africa. If you have dreamed about completing a middle distance tri in Cape Town, this is your chance!

Edited by _David_