Hi all. New to Triathlon and looking to find a decent and right swim course or coach Cape Town area. A guy in my area went to a total immersion course a few years ago and that helped him alot. But I cant find them doing that anymore. Only some link of a swim school in JHB offering this. Any help much appreciated

www.facebook.com/EmbarkTri/

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Professional Triathlon Organisation (PTO) have announced that they have approached WANDA with the intent to acquire Ironman and its assets. We spoke to Sam Renouf, CEO of the PTO, to find out more about the decision and what it means for triathlon

http://www.220triathlon.com/news/ironman/pto-announce-intent-to-buy-ironman/13050.html

Edit: I see IM Wales sold out within minutes of going on general sale today.  Obviously PTO think there is merit in this intent.

Edited by shaper

If this could mean more money into the sport for the pro's then i'm all for it. I mean the prize money difference for a full IM vs their current PGA or ATP series is so vast its a joke. 

The Professional Triathlon Organisation (PTO) have announced that they have approached WANDA with the intent to acquire Ironman and its assets. We spoke to Sam Renouf, CEO of the PTO, to find out more about the decision and what it means for triathlon

http://www.220triathlon.com/news/ironman/pto-announce-intent-to-buy-ironman/13050.html

Edit: I see IM Wales sold out within minutes of going on general sale today.  Obviously PTO think there is merit in this intent.

While I am still planning what I would like to enter it sold out. A group I belong to were completely gobsmacked it sold out so quickly.

So quite ironic that this thread popped up, till last weekend I have had zero interest in Triathlon events, but for some very strange reason the idea of trying it out has become quite appealing.

So from you more experienced peeps, would it be a realistic option to enter one? Considering I have only been cycling for about 4 months, but I never actually run or swim.

Yesterday I gave a "sprint" distance a half a go, did 24km cycle and a 5km "run" (mostly walked, haha) do you think it would be realistic to attempt a sprint Tri (750m swim, 20km cycle, 5km run) next weekend?

Go for it. Its doable.

So long as you can actually swim that is, maybe pop into a pool and swim a bit.

don't worry about time, just go have fun

Go for it. Its doable.

So long as you can actually swim that is, maybe pop into a pool and swim a bit.

don't worry about time, just go have fun

Yeah I am not to worried about time, would just like to not be last....

I can swim, not all that well, but I can swim well enough, I am more worried about the run, I am pretty chunky and found my feet took a real beating yesterday, but what the hell, its all just for s#!ts and giggles anyway

I can swim, not all that well, but I can swim well enough, I am more worried about the run, I am pretty chunky and found my feet took a real beating yesterday, but what the hell, its all just for s#!ts and giggles anyway

Then pack your sunscreen, some food, and go for a nice power-walk. Its a great sport.

(Although, make sure you're not actually damaging yourself, running/walking/whatever takes time to build up, no matter the distance. So don't go zero to 100 too quickly)

That's what you say now, a year from now you looking to enter ironman with goals and the latest gear..

its how this sport works

Then pack your sunscreen, some food, and go for a nice power-walk. Its a great sport.

(Although, make sure you're not actually damaging yourself, running/walking/whatever takes time to build up, no matter the distance. So don't go zero to 100 too quickly)

Thanks, my wife and I have started walking quite a bit and distance isnt to much of an issue, just when I start running, I think the extra load is what causes issues, but will just take it easy and have fun

Edited by Chadvdw67

That's what you say now, a year from now you looking to enter ironman with goals and the latest gear..

its how this sport works

Possibly, haha, but not likely, those distances just seem ridiculous, but never say never

Thanks, my wife and I have started walking quite a bit and distance isnt to much of an issue, just when I start running, I think the extra load is what causes issues, but will just take it easy and have fun

Consider spending money on descent running shoes and get your gait looked at to make sure the shoes are correct for your running style.... your feet and body will thank you for it.

Running in any old takkies are likely to cause many of the issues when you start running.

Some interesting findings... for the age old question

https://youtu.be/7lK1xC0Z5FA

Thanks for the video, it was the final push I needed to commit my old road bike to a Tri bike.

To do the same on the Canyon with integrated handlebar and DI2 would have been a bit to drastic to revert back to road from time to time.

Did a 3 hour fitment today which was a pretty impressive experience. Amazing what analytic tech is available and what difference can be made - even not mentioning the actual fitment, just the basic stuff like shoe cleats and saddle pressure already made a drastic difference.

Will require new handlebar, stem and saddle. The Profile Design T5+ alu bars I sourced second hand.

Bike stay there for a couple of days to service and components fitment. Will test it next week on the road.

Hope it make the difference.. Langkawi is 4 weeks away :)c5c03ac92b6635a4e36b627c504b6943.jpg02a4c24df22236510efb3d70540c1a0e.jpg

A part of me wants to tell you to stay away from this very addictive sport but the other half is standing in a little corner whispering to you to come to the dark side cause we have cookies... 

True story, best sport in the world. My mate got involved recently and he joked saying he's glad he gave up drugs for this sport, without hesitation I replied saying that drugs are still cheaper than this sport. 

Have your feet/run analyzed, apparently there's a really good guy out in the Bellville area. 

If you are struggling to run then try the run for a few mins walk for a few mins, some watches have that setting to make it easier. 

But yes, welcome it's an awesome sport. I'm entering my 5 and 8 year old into an event in November and they are super keen! Still working on the missus as she's not made her comeback after having our kids, but on the bright side she finished the cycle tour this year and didn't say no to when I mentioned that the entries should be opening up soon.