• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to be able to make it anymore, very bummed

Getting to the start line is the first and most important part of becoming a triathlete... doing the event is usually the easy part....

Getting to the start line is the first and most important part of becoming a triathlete... doing the event is usually the easy part....

And that ladies and gentlemen is a concrete cold fact. No truer words on this whole forum.

The miracle is getting to the start. Its that simple. The red carpet just the proof

And that ladies and gentlemen is a concrete cold fact. No truer words on this whole forum.

The miracle is getting to the start. Its that simple. The red carpet just the proof

Yep takes a lot more to put all the hours in on the training, early mornings, late nights, reduced social life to get to the start line.  If have done the training, then the event is the easy part !!

how to put life and race stress into perspective ......

Hurt my leg, physio said I should I should skip this one

Hurt my leg, physio said I should I should skip this one

Speaking of... as difficult as it is to put in all the hours and this and that for training, learning how to stop and recover properly is probably the biggest challenge!

Sorry about your leg, there will be many more races to come don't worry.

I see Redhub are doing a Super Series next year. Could be interesting. 3x 300m swim, 4000m bike, 1600m run.

https://www.redhub-events.com/super-series

I'm going to absolutely bleed time if I don't get my transitions a lot quicker... 7 transitions per race.

I like this, beginning to find I get bored on long distance triathlons...I know I can do it so I am beginning to lose interest basically. Something that chops and changes like that would be perfect.

Going to look at Run swims next year too

Chaps 2 questions

1. 5 weeks into 70.3 training program I'm battling with swim motivation. Don't like it and feel like I'm not improving. So battling to get my ass into gear. Any ideas /recommendations what to do?

2. Any recommendations for online shops selling trisuits?

Chaps 2 questions

1. 5 weeks into 70.3 training program I'm battling with swim motivation. Don't like it and feel like I'm not improving. So battling to get my ass into gear. Any ideas /recommendations what to do?

What are your swimsets like? If long 400m or more etc, maybe break into 4x100m and do some speed work. Alas its not always fun just pounding up and down the lane. Also do some drill work, focus on body position and form, helps with core control and streamlining to go through water quicker.

If using a coach, chat to your coach on the matter.

https://fluidlines.co.za/collections/226-trisuits

Chaps 2 questions

The biggest thing I find that helps is swimming with other people. It's been a long time since I've had the motivation to bang out 4km swims by myself, but if I find someone else to do it with me, then I find it very manageable.

It's funny also, cause I find it much more enjoyable doing longer sets, for example 8 x 400 I'll take every time over 16 x 200. So just finding the sets that work for you will make life better. That might be fewer longer sets or more shorter sets. Just switch it up to what you're currently doing.

Fanievb: we all sometimes struggle with motivation...

Firstly, be honest with yourself and isolate what is stripping away your motivation...

Sometimes its tiredness or the early time that you do your pool training, it could be the cold etc.etc.

Change your training plan to get rid of those negative elements...if you're feeling sluggish, train with fins for a while.

Sometimes we forget that swimming can also be fun...for the last 5 mins in the pool just muck about, dive in, swim widths under the water holding your breath or if the pool is deep, sink to the bottom and jump back up to the surface. Put the fun back into swimming. 

If all you do in the pool is just train...then there be no fun in doing it.

Hope that some of these ideas work for you??

Chaps 2 questions

My 10 cents:

Take an easy swim week, scale right back on the swim training, go for a surf swim or two for the fun of it. Just go and swim with no goal in mind, and if you get out after 10 minutes, then that's ok. Change the routine.

Or, go and have a sundowner looking out over the ocean !!