Chaps 2 questions

1. 5 weeks into 70.3 training program I'm battling with swim motivation. Don't like it and feel like I'm not improving. So battling to get my ass into gear. Any ideas /recommendations what to do?

2. Any recommendations for online shops selling trisuits?

Fanie

1. Rule number 5  :D

2:  fluidlines.co.za for trisuits

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest thing I find that helps is swimming with other people. It's been a long time since I've had the motivation to bang out 4km swims by myself, but if I find someone else to do it with me, then I find it very manageable.

It's funny also, cause I find it much more enjoyable doing longer sets, for example 8 x 400 I'll take every time over 16 x 200. So just finding the sets that work for you will make life better. That might be fewer longer sets or more shorter sets. Just switch it up to what you're currently doing.

Cannot agree with this more. It helps with your speed because you try and keep up with the other people or beat them consistently and the whole social aspect makes a massive difference in making the swim easier to deal with. 

@RogueMeister

I noticed your profile pic and it looks like you are wearing a Trifactri trisuit, which I may be wrong about.

I just want to ask, is it worth getting a couch or joining a group like TriFactri or MTD?

Edited by TheBritishTwit

Thanks chaps. 

What are your swimsets like? If long 400m or more etc, maybe break into 4x100m and do some speed work. Alas its not always fun just pounding up and down the lane. Also do some drill work, focus on body position and form, helps with core control and streamlining to go through water quicker.

If using a coach, chat to your coach on the matter.

https://fluidlines.co.za/collections/226-trisuits

sets are mainly WU (200-300), 8 x 25 drills, main set, LD (200-300). Main sets vary from week to week so it's not like I'm getting bored. 

the sessions are fine once I'm the water. It's usually getting there that's the issue.

thanks, will check out fluidlines

The biggest thing I find that helps is swimming with other people. It's been a long time since I've had the motivation to bang out 4km swims by myself, but if I find someone else to do it with me, then I find it very manageable.

It's funny also, cause I find it much more enjoyable doing longer sets, for example 8 x 400 I'll take every time over 16 x 200. So just finding the sets that work for you will make life better. That might be fewer longer sets or more shorter sets. Just switch it up to what you're currently doing.

my swim sets are usually during workout hours so not easy getting a partner (bike/run in the a.m. and family time in the evening)

Fanievb: we all sometimes struggle with motivation...

Firstly, be honest with yourself and isolate what is stripping away your motivation...

Sometimes its tiredness or the early time that you do your pool training, it could be the cold etc.etc.

Change your training plan to get rid of those negative elements...if you're feeling sluggish, train with fins for a while.

Sometimes we forget that swimming can also be fun...for the last 5 mins in the pool just muck about, dive in, swim widths under the water holding your breath or if the pool is deep, sink to the bottom and jump back up to the surface. Put the fun back into swimming. 

If all you do in the pool is just train...then there be no fun in doing it.

Hope that some of these ideas work for you??

to be honest I don't like swimming , but as I said above once I get my arse up and into the pool, doing the workouts is not the issue (I solve a lot of the worlds problems in the water....).

maybe I must should just suck it up and get going

My 10 cents:

Take an easy swim week, scale right back on the swim training, go for a surf swim or two for the fun of it. Just go and swim with no goal in mind, and if you get out after 10 minutes, then that's ok. Change the routine.

Or, go and have a sundowner looking out over the ocean !!

I think the open-water thing might be the answer ( or the beer......)

I see Redhub are doing a Super Series next year. Could be interesting. 3x 300m swim, 4000m bike, 1600m run.

https://www.redhub-events.com/super-series

I'm going to absolutely bleed time if I don't get my transitions a lot quicker... 7 transitions per race.

The week before Gauteng champs: https://trinitysports.co.za/trinity-germiston-2-incl-cgt-triathlon-championship-19-january-2020/

Most (serious) MP, LP, NW, FS, Tshwane and CGT athletes will use the 19th to qualify for their provincial teams. 

GP school go back on the 15th

Sounds like an it might be a great fun event, but the date won't work in its favour.

sorry coach  :whistling: 

hopefully the tri next weekend will give me the wake up I need

No Stress Big Guy

You are in the very beginning of your program so a lot of the work is just getting moving and being consistent - the sessions are not pretty .......just yet.

in 3 weeks, then the program picks up and the intensities change. 

Then the "fun" starts  :clap:

No Stress Big Guy

You are in the very beginning of your program so a lot of the work is just getting moving and being consistent - the sessions are not pretty .......just yet.

in 3 weeks, then the program picks up and the intensities change. 

Then the "fun" starts  :clap:

tenor.gif?itemid=5878976

Chaps 2 questions

1. 5 weeks into 70.3 training program I'm battling with swim motivation. Don't like it and feel like I'm not improving. So battling to get my ass into gear. Any ideas /recommendations what to do?

2. Any recommendations for online shops selling trisuits?

Tune in to Kona this weekend for all the motivation you need!

@RogueMeister

I noticed your profile pic and it looks like you are wearing a Trifactri trisuit, which I may be wrong about.

I just want to ask, is it worth getting a couch or joining a group like TriFactri or MTD?

You saw right, trifactri suit it is!

My honest opinion is if all you wanna do is finish, if you're happy with with a 7 or 8 hour 70.3, then joining a group won't really benefit you as much. But if you're trying to get better and do as well as you possibly can, then i think a coach /group is essential.

It's a bit different for me, as I'm not in jhb, so I don't join up with the team that much for long rides and runs, but when I have its been much better than training by myself.

What I can say with 100 % certainty is I wouldn't be where I am without my coach and I wouldn't enjoy the races nearly half as much without being part of a team.

Looks like a nice read for the tri fans

Dave Scott and Mark Allen, 2 legends of the sport writing about their incredible Iron man rivalry:

On October 14, 1989 at the Ironman® Triathlon World Championship the universe of sport was changed forever when Dave Scott and Mark Allen ran “The Greatest Race Ever Run” pushing each other to the breaking point, and then pushing harder for more than eight hours, never separated  by more than a few feet. Both athletes raced wondering how much longer they could go on at that level of suffering?

https://1989thestory.com/

did my first tri is over 2 years yesterday.

Swim: 1.5km (garmin measured 1660m)
Water was cold (for me) and went with the wetsuit. I had issues breathing properly as I wasn't used to the tightness of the suit anymore. Took a good 10 minutes to find any sort of rhythm. 
Time 31:52

Bike: 40km (actual 43km)

the south wester was pumping, which meant all uphills on the course will be mostly into the wind, and the flats with the wind. 
Had a jol TT'ing with the wind 

Time 1:31:26

Run: 10km (actual 9.38km)

Was dreading the run as it's usually where the wheels come off. Met up with a buddy just outside T2 and ran with him for a short while. He eventually dropped back, but my legs felt great, so decided to (try) stick to under 6min/km. Still had some reserves turning for my last lap and decided to empty the tank to get a sub3

Time 52:26

Very happy with my total time of 3:00:10 hours, now just to get used to the wetsuit again.

p.s. it's really difficult to pee with a trisuit, especially when you are in a hurry and the wind is blowing.

so close to sub 3, yet so far.

I know  :(   :unsure:

Well done. Which event was this?

local event organised by Buffalo City Triathlon 

they normally have 3 events a year. 

One in Gonubie

Two in Town using parts of the 70.3 course (with one being an ultra)