Thanks - i'll give it a look.  I'm really lucky though in that my wife is a SwimSmooth coach so she's really helped a hell of a lot - on the first of December I genuinely could only do 75m of the VA Pool.  On the 5th Jan I completed the 600-ish needed at Blyde.  It wasn't the fastest I'll be honest - but I wasn't last out the water either and I made up quite a bit of time on the bike and the run.

Was smashed the afternoon though - Duathlon during the race I found much tougher, but recovered much faster - the Tri really took it out of me later in the day.

I followed the swimSmooth school. Bought the book and meticulously went through the program. I used to swim a bit back in the day but nothing for like 40 years.

Bought the book, honed the craft. was down to a sub 25 minute mile and first in age group at IMSA thanks to SwimSmooth.

Kinda lost a bit of interest in swimming but yesterday I went to the pool for the first time since September. The lessons are still there in my head.

Edited by IceCreamMan

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja - it's impressive hey - I'm currently hovering around the 2:05/100m pace, but when I do all the stuff she tells me to do it instantly comes down to 1:55/100m.  Problem is being a male I can only manage one thing at a time so it all falls to pieces after 100m.....

Ja - it's impressive hey - I'm currently hovering around the 2:05/100m pace, but when I do all the stuff she tells me to do it instantly comes down to 1:55/100m.  Problem is being a male I can only manage one thing at a time so it all falls to pieces after 100m.....

I have a snorkel for you ......and a wetsuit  ^_^

You forgot the Speedo

:whistling: 

Orca Jammers .........just waiting for Customs to get their S##t together and clear the shipment.

Hardly a complete list... Missing all the RedHub events

So why not just add to the list rather than a pointless criticism that it's not fully inclusive???

Edit: Nevermind I see Shamus has added them

Edited by shaper

I followed the swimSmooth school. Bought the book and meticulously went through the program. I used to swim a bit back in the day but nothing for like 40 years.

Bought the book, honed the craft. was down to a sub 25 minute mile and first in age group at IMSA thanks to SwimSmooth.

Kinda lost a bit of interest in swimming but yesterday I went to the pool for the first time since September. The lessons are still there in my head.

Wow that's a super time! Just out of curiosity, what was your time before this book?

Wow that's a super time! Just out of curiosity, what was your time before this book?

Thanks, I was swimming 300 to 400 km's a year at ones stage.

I plateaued around 32 minute miles training by myself. With Swimsmooth I became conscious of a number of items and worked at it. within a relatively short period of time i was at sub 25 minutes and that was near the pinnacle of my potential.

Last year I swam less than 15km's , yesterday in the pool I reckon I could have done a 28-30 minute mile after no swimming for 4 months. Happy with that. Wil swim more this year. It is gentle on the body. I don't worry to much about swim time any more so wont be swimming 300 kms a year again for a while unless I find a sponsor to swim the channel.

I’ve ordered a pair of these. Custom made goggles via a 3D scan of your face on their app. Excited to see how it turns out.

https://themagic5.com/

Edited by lil to the Lefty

For those who are looking to do their first Tri like I did, or for something really different to the norm, there will be another Blyde Balwin Triathlon on the 9th February out near Mamelodi.  The one we did on the 5th of Jan was basically the test event to see if the venue was feasible and to iron out any glitches so I reckon the one on the 9th will run a whole lot smoother.

Space at the venue for transition is limited though, so the race is capped at 150.

I've already entered ;-) - the goal will now be to try and swim the entire 600m without stopping.....

For those who are looking to do their first Tri like I did, or for something really different to the norm, there will be another Blyde Balwin Triathlon on the 9th February out near Mamelodi.  The one we did on the 5th of Jan was basically the test event to see if the venue was feasible and to iron out any glitches so I reckon the one on the 9th will run a whole lot smoother.

Space at the venue for transition is limited though, so the race is capped at 150.

I've already entered ;-) - the goal will now be to try and swim the entire 600m without stopping.....

Please share a link to the entry website. Can't seem to find it...

I assume the swim takes place in that artificial lake with the beach?

• 3 weeks later...

So a little breakthrough today - 16th December I managed 300m consisting of 12 laps of the Virgin active pool resting every 100m.  Last time out at Blyde I had to stop every 200m and walk around the Buoy. Today I managed 600m continuous.  It's not the 2km+ that everyone else around me is doing, and also nowhere near the 1:50/100 everyone else seems to be able to do comfortably, but I'm doing Blyde again on Sunday and this time plan not to be last out of the Lagoon!

There are still a few entries left btw if anyone is still keen for a fun day out....

So a little breakthrough today - 16th December I managed 300m consisting of 12 laps of the Virgin active pool resting every 100m.  Last time out at Blyde I had to stop every 200m and walk around the Buoy. Today I managed 600m continuous.  It's not the 2km+ that everyone else around me is doing, and also nowhere near the 1:50/100 everyone else seems to be able to do comfortably, but I'm doing Blyde again on Sunday and this time plan not to be last out of the Lagoon!

There are still a few entries left btw if anyone is still keen for a fun day out....

High 5 man! thats awesome. Once you find that 'continuous' rhythm you'll feel like you can go for days, its a great feeling.

Speed is overrated, don't worry about that one  :ph34r:  :D