Mixed feelings really - I was hoping the swim would have gone better - I was a minute faster than the 5th of Jan (which apparently in swimming terms is good), but I never felt strong.

The MTB was a mixed bag - it was super muddy so they shortened the route by about 5kms which for me who is a strong MTB'er was a bit disappointing, but I made the best of it and made up quite a few places.  Interestingly my mate who had his MTB over in the UK a few years ago was riding in the snow, so he fitted some super skinny 1.9 Snow specific tyres.  When he moved back to SA he sold the bike but I bought the wheels (still fitted with said tyres).  As the last Blyde I was grumbling to him about how crap the tyres were and that I was going to toss them.  I didn't, and on Sunday I was hauling - snow tyres work brilliantly in thick mud!

I just survived the run - had to stop twice to clear the mud off my shoes!  It was so bad that a few of the leaders took off their shoes and were running in their socks....

Ended up with a 1:22 which was 14th - winning time was 1:08 I think.

It's a brilliant venue though hey - I suppose mud will always be an issue anywhere if it rains, but from a logistics point of view it really works.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@IceCreamMan, thinking of doing Waymouth 70.3 as will be in the UK the weekend before for a wedding.  

What the road surface like? Online groups say Tri-bike all the way, just need to be wary of the wind

Yeah I know a lot of guys over there, and even more that are keen for next year... I wouldn't be suprised if in 5 years EL doesn't have enough participation to warrant two 70. 3s in SA.

Unless they have already earmarked a new (better) venue for when the EL contract expires in 2 years time.

A venue with easy (international) access, more spectators and a cleaner route. 

;)

Unless they have already earmarked a new (better) venue for when the EL contract expires in 2 years time.

A venue with easy (international) access, more spectators and a cleaner route.

;)

A 70.3 Cape Town/ Western Cape would be amazing.

@IceCreamMan, thinking of doing Waymouth 70.3 as will be in the UK the weekend before for a wedding.  

What the road surface like? Online groups say Tri-bike all the way, just need to be wary of the wind

Hey, that would be awesome. 

Road surface is in places excellent and other places not so excellent, the route takes you through some country lanes and if its rained its a lil more hazourdous. The route also has a lot of turns and its undulating. There are sections where being in tri bars would be beneficial and other areas where I believe it could be a little dangerous for the inexperienced. I don't own a tri bike so have no choice really. I would say about 75 percent of the field use regular bikes but I think that's cos they don't own tri bikes. 

Weymouth weather is the crux here. My mate did it 4 years ago in glorious sunshine, the last 3 years I have done it and well not so much sun as rain and cold but here's hoping this year its glorious. The swim has been shortened the last 2 years although 2019 should have been the full swim I reckon. 

All in all a great little event and Weymouth is a great venue being a traditional british seaside town. 

Isn't that Challenge Cape Town? :)

True, but I was more referring to the Ironman brand getting behind a race in CT/WC. Easy to get to and with direct international flights, it should work.

Unlikely to have IM and Challenge in the same place, so if EL do not renew will probably be no longer.

Unlikely to have IM and Challenge in the same place, so if EL do not renew will probably be no longer.

there are other venues on the Cape Peninsula ....and up the West coast

;)

post-93137-0-64430100-1581622172_thumb.png

This year's first Tinman event 7:00am Sunday 16th February 2020 at Suncoast Beach, Durban. Pre-entries only, but come down and enjoy the vibe.

Update:

was a hot & humid Durban summer day with a biggish sea (1.6m swell) & rising tide which made even the shortened swim challenging for some; NE wind started filling in while on the bike which with nearly 400 competitors of vastly varying ability on the multi-lap bike course was also challenging & saw several incidents & near misses. Run was the usual out & back to Blue Lagoon on the beachfront promenade complete with its strollers, walkers, dogs, runners, bikes, trikes, prams, sun-lovers & coffee-lovers. All in all just what we've come to expect at Tinman, along with solid race management, excellent emergency services and sensitive application of 'the rules', not surprising that it's now in it's 21st year.

Results here.

Edited by amr63

Well, pretty crappy RedHub Standard for me this past weekend, still trying to wrap my head around why I sucked so badly.

I may have started a little too far to the front for the mass start swim and got too much of the human washing machine for my liking, but got out of that and thought I was doing ok till I cramped majorly in my right leg with about 300m to go while trying to clean my completely fogged up goggles. Never had that before and I never cramp as a rule. Garmin of course paints a different story of shortened stroke and terrible swolf score which explains the poor time of 35 minutes. While I always expect to swim slower in open water I was surprised by how much slower I was at around 2:29 / 100 versus my pool average of sub 1:50.

Nothing much to report on the bike really, average speed still way below what I want it to be but that will come with more training.

The run however was another story, 3k into the run there was this loose downhill piece of trail and it was from there that both my knees decided they had had enough, with most of the remaining 7k being so painful that I was limited to a walk, and 1:25 for the run leg.

All in 3:44 placed me 52/74 finishers, reckon on my normal running pace a 3:25- 3:30 would have been possible for a much more palatable mid 30's / 74. 

I guess that just proves that I should make a plan to do a lot more open water swims, and invest in some better goggles. At least there is almost 6 months to 5150 Bela Bela within to improve, and I would most likely have a wet suit by then which will also help.

Well, pretty crappy RedHub Standard for me this past weekend, still trying to wrap my head around why I sucked so badly.

I may have started a little too far to the front for the mass start swim and got too much of the human washing machine for my liking, but got out of that and thought I was doing ok till I cramped majorly in my right leg with about 300m to go while trying to clean my completely fogged up goggles. Never had that before and I never cramp as a rule. Garmin of course paints a different story of shortened stroke and terrible swolf score which explains the poor time of 35 minutes. While I always expect to swim slower in open water I was surprised by how much slower I was at around 2:29 / 100 versus my pool average of sub 1:50.

Nothing much to report on the bike really, average speed still way below what I want it to be but that will come with more training.

The run however was another story, 3k into the run there was this loose downhill piece of trail and it was from there that both my knees decided they had had enough, with most of the remaining 7k being so painful that I was limited to a walk, and 1:25 for the run leg.

All in 3:44 placed me 52/74 finishers, reckon on my normal running pace a 3:25- 3:30 would have been possible for a much more palatable mid 30's / 74. 

I guess that just proves that I should make a plan to do a lot more open water swims, and invest in some better goggles. At least there is almost 6 months to 5150 Bela Bela within to improve, and I would most likely have a wet suit by then which will also help.

We live and we learn, that's the beauty of sport. 

The most seasoned athlete can have one good race and the next boom, just wants to quite. 

Good luck in prepping for the next race. 

We all learn from each race and rarely do they go to plan, especially on the longer endurance events.

As for open water swimming, cradle moon is pretty busy on a Sunday with swimmers at the moment, so plenty of opportunity to practice.  Club 100 have a few members who swim there regularly around 10:30am Sunday's, sometimes this changes to late afternoon if there is an event on.  So welcome to join if you see them there.

Edited by shaper