3 minutes ago, EddieV said:

Brutal ... ending with a 50km run through Prince Albert's Pass ...... hectic. As if an ultra isn't enough suffering already?   I take my hat off to them.  💪

Same here, we are all the same age, children more or less the same, both have physical jobs outside in our heat the last month.

During our winter our sub zero temperature, hours on end on the trainer, I`m in awe of their commitment.

Go Petrie and Pieter!!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/15/2023 at 10:00 AM, EddieV said:

Brutal ... ending with a 50km run through Prince Albert's Pass ...... hectic. As if an ultra isn't enough suffering already?   I take my hat off to them.  💪

My friends finished in 15:19 and 17:26, long day, very good effort and super proud for them. 

I was part of support crew on the 0.5 Knysna. Beautiful beautifull race , but yes tough as nails. Also went through to Mosselbay the next day for Mosselbay IM 70.3. Two completely different vibes.

I take my hat off to all who participated in the Knysna race as it is next level.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody!

Any chance that somebody might have a gpx for the Ironman/70.3 course in PE?

2 hours ago, Heina13 said:

Hello everybody!

Any chance that somebody might have a gpx for the Ironman/70.3 course in PE?

If you are on Garmin, log into Garmin Connect via the website. Then on the left side menu, click on "training and planning", then click on "courses" at the top in the search, type in "Port Elizabeth, South Africa" and if needs be filter by activity "cycling".  Then scroll down and you will see from the heat map who has uploaded the gpx course, some even date by year.  Find the gpx course you want then click to open it just to check that it is correct and what you are looking for.  You then have the option "to send to your device" or click on the 3 dots and download the file.

This way for searching for gpx files has been on Garmin Connect forever, but it seems very few people know how to use what is available on Garmin Connect.  You will be able to do it for any race whether being a 70.3, a full ironman, a cycle race, anywhere in the world.  It is often good if you are traveling and want to find a course/route that locals run or ride near to your destination. It can be very useful.

As for the 70.3, you climb a steady hill out from T1, then have a fast downhill, close to the turnaround there are some big hills to get over on the way out and back, then a grind usually against a headwind until you turn right to get onto Marine drive.  If you saved something in your legs you can push hard on this section and fly back to T2.

1 hour ago, shaper said:

If you are on Garmin, log into Garmin Connect via the website. Then on the left side menu, click on "training and planning", then click on "courses" at the top in the search, type in "Port Elizabeth, South Africa" and if needs be filter by activity "cycling".  Then scroll down and you will see from the heat map who has uploaded the gpx course, some even date by year.  Find the gpx course you want then click to open it just to check that it is correct and what you are looking for.  You then have the option "to send to your device" or click on the 3 dots and download the file.

This way for searching for gpx files has been on Garmin Connect forever, but it seems very few people know how to use what is available on Garmin Connect.  You will be able to do it for any race whether being a 70.3, a full ironman, a cycle race, anywhere in the world.  It is often good if you are traveling and want to find a course/route that locals run or ride near to your destination. It can be very useful.

As for the 70.3, you climb a steady hill out from T1, then have a fast downhill, close to the turnaround there are some big hills to get over on the way out and back, then a grind usually against a headwind until you turn right to get onto Marine drive.  If you saved something in your legs you can push hard on this section and fly back to T2.

Shaper

Thanks a lot! I thought I knew a bit about garmin connect, but that is a game changer. Thanks for the advice as well. Looks like a nice bike course, should be easier than Mosselbay!

So after being a pure Cyclist in the 2000's I met my Wife who is a Triathlete (and Coach).  So I started running.  Running became Duathlon and for the next 15 years, we supported each other - I trained Running and Cycling with her for Kona, and she did running and cycling with me for World Duathlon champs.  In Oct 2021 she took over the Swim School at the VA in Parkview so I started a small swim - 200m.  That progressed over the next two years to a few sprint Triathlons, a Standard and in December last year we entered for 70.3 Lapu-Lapu in the Philippines as the first major event where we will both be competing together.  And a little holiday afterwards!

95 days to go!

• 4 weeks later...

Just more than 70 days to IM and 70.3PE.

Looking at options to rent some racewheels? Anybody know about a company who does rentals for a week or so? Preferably Cape area.