Grebel

Last year in August/September 2 boys from Westville in KZN took on the rest of the world when they, along with a few other talented South Africans, were selected to represent their country at the 2015 World Championships in Andorra

2Bros Take on Addorra was by all accounts a well supported attempt to assist these guys in leaving a mark on the international stage and help them to achieve a goal.

Many Hubbers stepped forward and offered support in the way of spare parts, much needed funding and moral support.

The net result was a 15th for Jono and a 38th for Chris (who crashed twice in his race run)

So..... what's been happening since then? Well.... a lot actually and at the same time, not enough.... The boys and their father have relocated to PMB to be close to where the action is and allow the boys to train at the WC track as well as ride Cascades and all the awesome mountain biking around the area every day. Mom is still living and working in Durban so they only get to hook up as a family on weekends. 

The results speak for themselves though. The hard work and sacrifice is paying off! Chris is home schooling to concentrate on training and racing and Jono is focusing full time on training and racing.

2Bros Racing is a brand. (Much like Atherton Racing and I am pretty sure that is where the idea came from. Marc can correct me if I am out of line). It does however leave the impression that they are a sponsored team. This is not the case. Couldn't be further from the truth.

The reality is that 2Bros Racing is a family concern that funds most of their requirements from the grocery budget with a little assistance from friends and family. They are riding dated equipment yet still kicking @ss and taking names. Imagine what they could achieve with the right tools........

Over the years there has been some generous assistance from some good people. These guys however are at the stage now where they need more that a few excess spare parts that came from someone's garage or a donation of a few hundred rand towards race entries and transport.

They need proper sponsors!

This is an opportunity to take your product/brand overseas and have it showcased by two very bright stars. These guys ARE that good. They have often been referred to as the next big thing in SA Downhill. 

I have a Sponsorship proposal that is unfortunately too big to upload. However if you know anybody that can assist these two guys or you are able to help in anyway, please PM me and I will send it to you via email. There is an opportunity here to help two rising stars!

Really hoping that they can hook up with a few sponsors that can assist with equipment, travel, nutrition, clothing, etc. If we could finance the whole package, take some pressure off the family and help these guys achieve a dream that would be awesome!

There was a lot of positive response from the gravity community last year. Here's hoping that we can follow through on some of those ideas  :thumbup:

Contact details are as follows:

They also have a face book page and if anybody wants to chat to Marc (Their Dad and Manager), please PM me and I will give you his contact details.

PLEASE guys!!! Lets help these boys!!!!!

They need to get to Europe and do the IXS races.

Do some man in a van squatting in the Morzine parking lot like a bunch of other hopefuls. Waiting for the phone to ring is a waste of time. It's not going to happen.

What he said. 

Garlicki and Pottie have made numerous WC finals and some IXS podiums.  Still in a Van.  But they're racing, making it happen.

Massive sponsors are dropping multi-million dollar teams on the Road World Tour.  I don't think people are exactly queuing up to throw money at DH.

What he said.

Garlicki and Pottie have made numerous WC finals and some IXS podiums. Still in a Van. But they're racing, making it happen.

Massive sponsors are dropping multi-million dollar teams on the Road World Tour. I don't think people are exactly queuing up to throw money at DH.

What he said.

Garlicki and Pottie have made numerous WC finals and some IXS podiums. Still in a Van. But they're racing, making it happen.

Massive sponsors are dropping multi-million dollar teams on the Road World Tour. I don't think people are exactly queuing up to throw money at DH.

Sadly, DH is a fringe sport.

As a business owner I know I will get more exposure by sponsoring new Pole protectors for a local primary school rugby team, or even sponsoring a local rugby club. Flip, I'll get better exposure in my target market by sponsoring the local high school mtb team for the Spur schools challenge.

The Benjamins mostly go where the exposure and ROI is.

And this sucks if you are a DHer or a BMXer etc

I couldn't agree more  :thumbup:  The time has come for some serious aggressive marketing I think and we are putting together a plan of attack.... Time for a change in tactics.

I agree 100% that they need to be over there and it was mentioned a few times in the other thread as well. Getting there is the issue. Heading over there from here with no assistance at all is a big ask. 

These guys have a few supporters but no sponsors as such (as far as I know). Gibson Plant Hire paid their race entries for the year, Giba let's then train and ride at the park for free (However most of if not all their riding nowadays happens in PMB), Greg Minaar Cycles have opened an account for them and probably throw a discount or two here and there but other than that they fund everything themselves (2Bros are more that welcome to chime in and clarify anything if I have left anything out or got anything wrong).

They are riding 5 year old bikes with a lot of DIY mods to try and be competitive with the newer bikes (And it's working as can be seen by the results but there is a limit as to what can be done) and as any DH'er knows, bikes take a beating at that level. There is only one bike and that's used for training and racing. Neither of them have jobs and mom and dad are working full time (in different cities) to keep food on the table and keep the boys on the trails. Funds however are rapidly running out and a plan needs to be made

This not an attempt to have a bleeding hearts session about how bad things are and drum up some woe is me type of sympathy. Rather an attempt to try and highlight the difficulties that they are facing and experiencing as well as try and find solutions to the issues being experienced.

It would be a real shame to see this type of talent wasted because there wasn't enough money to make a go of it.

I am not sure how Garlicki and Pottie did it but it would be great for these guys to get a helping hand to really give it a full go. I am sure that they have the talent to make a size-able impression on the international circuit.

Sadly, DH is a fringe sport.

As a business owner I know I will get more exposure by sponsoring new Pole protectors for a local primary school rugby team, or even sponsoring a local rugby club. Flip, I'll get better exposure in my target market by sponsoring the local high school mtb team for the Spur schools challenge.

The Benjamins mostly go where the exposure and ROI is.

And this sucks if you are a DHer or a BMXer etc

True.

If you expect to make money racing DH you are in the wrong sport unfortunately. The guys that make money have built a brand. Greg, Peaty, The Athertons are all brands.

Last year I met an Aussi kid in Morzine. (Duran's nextdoor neighbor) He was man in a vanning it with his dad doing all the IXS, German cup and Swiss cup races that he could get to. In my opinion that's the only way to make it if you aren't a Euro.

There's 500 "fast" brits heading for Morzine this summer. Looking to pull pints, work on bikes, make beds and clean toilets so they can maybe do a bit of racing.

You have to BE THERE. For your riding as well as the potential exposure. Oh. It's also a shedload of fun.

@ the brothers. Pottie and Garlicke man in a vanned it for a year. That helped them get contacts and move forward from there. Duran man in a vanned it last year and will again this year. Speak to them. They've done it. If you pull it off the worst it will be is an adventure of a lifetime

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I think there is more that we as cycling community can do to support them, i have been working on setting up a no profit cycling insurance brokerage... whereby the cycling community can insure their bikes ( getting a ROI) while still allowing us to set up a fund that can help all the fringe groups kids ( DH, Enduro , XCO )  that are showing potential  can get to europe under a "Team ZA" banner. Unfortunately I have hit some major legislative hurdles in that you cannot in essence have   non profit brokerage ( or it has not been done before). Also to make the scheme viable  i will need to insure about 3000 bicycles ( which I think is easily doable if it was a value for money deal ). Anybody that can help is welcome to pm me.

• 2 weeks later...

Remy Morton living the van life with his dad. This youngster is a TOP rider. Last year the Bergamont Factory team were squatting in the Carrefour parking lot in Morzine. That's what you need to do to make it.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/pit-stop-leogang-world-cup-2016.html

100% that is what they need to be doing  :thumbup:

Actually getting there and getting set up is the issue....

They are at the point where they have outgrown their bikes, anybody that has been overseas recently will know the cost of airfare and then there is the all conquering white van that needs to be acquired....

Both of them are willing to do what it takes but they aren't in a position to get the ball rolling.

All we are trying to do is find someone that is in a position to assist with these "small" obstacles. At the moment Old Mother Hubbard is standing in front of her cupboard and there is F'all to be seen.

The guy over there squatting in a van have already been mentioned. I am pretty sure they had a small helping hand to get there along with some goodies to take with. That is what we are looking for.

Unfortunately there is no memorabilia to sell off to raise money. We are at the hand to mouth point now...

All I know is Pottie and Duran work in our summer and save up to get across. Pottie gets gear and bikes when in Europe (on a loan basis) but Duran is still on his beat up Rocky Mountain and whatever he can afford (at least he saves a fortune on shirts...). Maybe a season of grafting with 2017 as the goal?

• 1 month later...