Tokai 2016 reopening

(Deon)

It is not actually a stupid comparison. The exchange of cash on the mountain to people who have not been employed for that reason, or having any prior history of working with money, like with shelf packers, is a problem that I'm surprised you cannot foresee.

Edited by (Deon)

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Snapscan ladies and gents ..... and then you as a rider have proof of payment, there are no persons who have the burden of dealing with cash and the associated risks (being mugged, loosing money and having to pay it back themselves).

Snapscan ladies and gents ..... and then you as a rider have proof of payment, there are no persons who have the burden of dealing with cash and the associated risks (being mugged, loosing money and having to pay it back themselves).

It's been suggested to the various depts over the years. Only solution is to change the system completely  :whistling:

It is not actually a stupid comparison. The exchange of cash on the mountain to people who have not been employed for that reason, or having any prior history of working with money, like with shelf packers, is a problem that I'm surprised you cannot foresee.

I think its called "training" . Large organs like SANP love that kind of thing - when it suits them. Unless you really believe the TMNP Rangers are a special kind of dumb?

If anyone visits Atlantis dunes for whatever activity, you will know that you can only buy a permit in Wale Street Office or in atlantis council office. These are both only open mon - fri.

Now the department has major plans in place to make it possible to make payment at the entrance so surely empowering rangers to walk around with an invoice book shouldnt be a problem. Surely they can issue fines for trespasses also.

I saw on the Table Mountain Bikers Facebook page that 2 trail runners were attacked on the road to the Constantiaberg Mast on the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1022959741086100&id=183267821721967

I thought the whole area was closed and inaccessible?

We did the Silvermine Loop for the 1st time in AGES last weekend and we noted the fence across the Silvermine gate and thought how awesome it would be to be able to get across on Level 5 and do the mast as well.

Edited by splat

I see saw on the Table Mountain Bikers Facebook page that 2 trail runners were attacked on the road to the Constantiaberg Mast on the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1022959741086100&id=183267821721967

We did the Silvermine Loop for the 1st time in AGES last weekend and we noted the fence across the Silvermine gate and thought how awesome it would be to be able to get across on Level 5 and do the mast as well.

The forest section isn't accessible so the route you're thinking of isn't open but not sure of the vlakkenburg hiking trail which comes up from HB side.

I see saw on the Table Mountain Bikers Facebook page that 2 trail runners were attacked on the road to the Constantiaberg Mast on the weekend.

It happened in the Vlakkenberg area - where gravel road meets tar road to the mast - towards Hout Bay. Trail runners have not really stopped running that area at all. The route from the Nek to Vlakkenberg - Blue Valley was not considered as closed.

Edited by porqui

It happened in the Vlakkenberg area - where gravel road meets tar road to the mast - towards Hout Bay. Trail runners have not really stopped running that area at all. The route from the Nek to Vlakkenberg - Blue Valley was not considered as closed.

This is my understanding as well

Understanding is that Tokai arboretum and plantation is closed till further notice. Hence if you got to the tar road going to the mast you've encroached on the closed area, no matter where you started from

Understanding is that Tokai arboretum and plantation is closed till further notice. Hence if you got to the tar road going to the mast you've encroached on the closed area, no matter where you started from

Nope - 10 to 1 they came from C Nek having run TM area. They could also have run up Blackburn Ravine around Skoorsteen Kop and headed for Blue Valley. All open.

The forest section isn't accessible so the route you're thinking of isn't open but not sure of the vlakkenburg hiking trail which comes up from HB side.

Still closed. These people should never have been there.

TokaiMTB and the Park management are working with other user groups on how to secure the outer reaches of this section of the reserve. While the area is closed, access by emergency vehicle is limited so a suitable system of safety needs to be devised before the area can be reopened. 

This incident just shows that the threat is not gone..

It all depends on who is doing the "considering".

Aeas affected by Fire:

Silvermine East

Silvermine West

Tokai, Upper section

If it was affected by fire, it was closed. Areas deemed safe for use was reopened as the intervention was completed and since Tokai is still not open and Mast and Vlakkenburg are within the Tokai zoning, it should still be considered closed.

Anyway, at least there is an identikit of the perps known to be from IY in Hout Bay.

SANParks vehicles were present within 30 mins.

Nope - 10 to 1 they came from C Nek having run TM area. They could also have run up Blackburn Ravine around Skoorsteen Kop and headed for Blue Valley. All open.

where they came has got NOTHING to do with the FACT they shouldn't have been there (the Tokai Mast access raod)  in the first place

Traversing from an open area to a closed one does not make it right.

I know its Monday, and cold so maybe you're taking a little while to get going

• 1 month later...

It all depends on who is doing the "considering".

Aeas affected by Fire:

Silvermine East

Silvermine West

Tokai, Upper section

If it was affected by fire, it was closed. Areas deemed safe for use was reopened as the intervention was completed and since Tokai is still not open and Mast and Vlakkenburg are within the Tokai zoning, it should still be considered closed.

Anyway, at least there is an identikit of the perps known to be from IY in Hout Bay.

SANParks vehicles were present within 30 mins.

What about the route from silvermine? - you could go legally to firehut=>elephant's eye cave=> mast. at what point does it become off limits?