Frame Change

Zaidee

Hi All,

So I've always wanted to build up my own bike and of recent i have acquired all the parts to begin this dream of doing my own 'Build'. That being said, i have no idea where to begin.

The issues I am facing are the removal of the crank and the changing of my cassette and hubs on the wheels that i have as i need to change the back rims hub to QR and the front to TA! The rims i have are currently the opposite sadly!

I gather from youtube that i will need special tools for this operation but was wondering if anyone had any advice on where i could possibly gain help at the cheapest price? 

I am so stoked for the exercise and have stripped the bike down as far as i could using only my multitool, but am now at a dead end.

Any advice would be appreciated, even if there is a place where i can buy tools cheaply to do this on my own?

Thanks in advance,

Zaid The Noob

The cassette is fairly straightforward where you will need a cassette removal tool and chain whip. The crank will depend on what crankset/BB you have on the bike as there is a wide variety of brands which often need unique tools.

The hubs will be completely dependent on the brand/model - some hubs can not be changed at all and, even if yours can, it is highly unlikely it will be as simple as swapping the adapters between the front and back wheels so you are probably going to need to buy new adapters for your hubs. Most hubs are fairly straightforward to take apart with a few allen keys.

The cassette is fairly straightforward where you will need a cassette removal tool and chain whip. The crank will depend on what crankset/BB you have on the bike as there is a wide variety of brands which often need unique tools.

The hubs will be completely dependent on the brand/model - some hubs can not be changed at all and, even if yours can, it is highly unlikely it will be as simple as swapping the adapters between the front and back wheels so you are probably going to need to buy new adapters for your hubs. Most hubs are fairly straightforward to take apart with a few allen keys.

Why don't you bring the bike to my workshop on the weekend and I'll help you out.

PM me if you're interested.

PM Sent

Thanks

Thanks, Yeah i figured it wouldn't be a straightforward task, Actually bought the wheels before the frame and didn't realise (Poor Move) 

Really appreciate the help dude! Thanks

Everything you need to know is here http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/parktool-blue-book-bbb-3

Also Google and YouTube are your friends

You will need a toolbox something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/x-tools-bike-tool-kit-18-piece/rp-prod40997 .  CWC use to have but could not find on the website, your LBS may have, think I saw something similar at Solomons.  Pretty much all the basic tools you need to strip down and build a bike.

Everything you need to know is here http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/parktool-blue-book-bbb-3

Also Google and YouTube are your friends

You will need a toolbox something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/x-tools-bike-tool-kit-18-piece/rp-prod40997 .  CWC use to have but could not find on the website, your LBS may have, think I saw something similar at Solomons.  Pretty much all the basic tools you need to strip down and build a bike.

Thanks, Think i should invest in this, looks great