Impey, Meintjes named in initial squad for Rio Olympics

News bot

Cycling South Africa has great pleasure in announcing that Daryl Impey and Louis Meintjes have been selected for Team South Africa to compete in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in August. South Africa’s Olympic governing body, SASCOC (South African Sport Confederation and Olympic Committee) announced the first names of the initial squad of 24 athletes on Wednesday.

Click here to view the article

Why no women road announcement... this is a good course for Ash. But is anyone able to support her... If you ain't racing in Europe (currently) against the worlds best then NO is my opinion.

Congrats Louis and Daryl!

Well done to Daryl and Louis .....

Hope Ashley and An-Li crack the nod too .

So that I understand correctly. Are we sending 2 riders and expecting to compete?

So that I understand correctly. Are we sending 2 riders and expecting to compete?

Much like Worlds each country is allocated places by the number of UCI points it's riders have accumulated in various UCI events. SA have enough points to send two riders. That's how it is. Nothing to do with our governing sporting bodies.

What's the issue.. Sagan won worlds and they were only 3 Slovakians [emoji6]

MEINTJES must be smart and pretend he is Spanish. . And hop on their train.

Edited by Gen

What about Reinhardt ?

He is on 303 UCI points 2016

LM 99 points

DI. 78 points

dont know these guys, only know of Darryl due to his day in yellow. Maybe we should only send people in events we think we can get a medal in.

So send no one.....money saved.

Maybe they shou;ld have sent Reinhardt instead of Louise .

Apparently it is a course suited to a sprinter .

Reinhardt and Daryl can cause a surprise if it is a flatish circuit .

Maybe they shou;ld have sent Reinhardt instead of Louise .

Apparently it is a course suited to a sprinter .

Reinhardt and Daryl can cause a surprise if it is a flatish circuit .

Perhaps you are confused with the world champs course.. RIO is not at all suited for the sprinters

ff6161944fcbab66d4f78bf70ce45867.jpg

Perhaps you are confused with the world champs course.. RIO is not at all suited for the sprinters

ff6161944fcbab66d4f78bf70ce45867.jpg

That is one mean race route! A 100% hit on the pain & suffering index! Will be interesting to see which of the serious climbers will have form going into Rio. One thing is sure only a climber is going to win this.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk