MJ the Expat

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since May 23.

When should I start freaking out?

depends on which shipping you chose. Just make sure you have a tracking number and can follow its progress. No point getting all worked up. Recently ordered out of germany, non-priority shipping,and it got here in 11 days. SAPO (cape town Epping depot) even called me up to give me a headsup on the VAT payable. I told them to send it to my nearest PO and they did. Was there the next day as promised. If you can go to the depot to personally collect it, it could go quicker than waiting for it.

Edited by Capricorn

Things that come from China can take about 12 days at the SA side.

Had a package stuck due to no paperwork.  The paperwork was in a plastic bag on the outside. 

I phoned them, sent the invoice and was released 4 days later.

Can take a good few days if you used EMS (Royal Mail) or Parcelforce. Can be a day or two with DHL. I wouldn't worry, but maybe make friends with your local international mail processing guy at the post office. Helps get things out quicker.

You should have a CRC tracking no you can follow. Once in SA, phone the PO to get your SA tracking no....they take ages to answer the call, but persist, be friendly and sometimes they are actually very helpful.

Once you have SA tracking no, SMS it to 32932 and you will get a reply of where in the process your parcel is.....not much of a help but at least you can see whether your parcel is moving or not.

You should have a CRC tracking no you can follow. Once in SA, phone the PO to get your SA tracking no....they take ages to answer the call, but persist, be friendly and sometimes they are actually very helpful.

Once you have SA tracking no, SMS it to 32932 and you will get a reply of where in the process your parcel is.....not much of a help but at least you can see whether your parcel is moving or not.

No need to waste time phoning, you can input your overseas tracking number on the parcel track website http://www.parceltrack.co.za/

If it is recorded in the system, it will tell you where it is and in transit to, it will sometimes also give you the local tracking number

Sometimes astonished how quickly things can get delivered. Ordered a new handlebar from CRC on Monday lunchtime. Used the DHL option. Was delivered at work on Wednesday 16h00. Amazeballs.

No need to waste time phoning, you can input your overseas tracking number on the parcel track website http://www.parceltrack.co.za/

If it is recorded in the system, it will tell you where it is and in transit to, it will sometimes also give you the local tracking number

It is just easier once you have SA tracking no to locate your parcel.

It is just easier once you have SA tracking no to locate your parcel.

There is no difference, as I said, the website will track it with an overseas number and often give you the SA number. It will track it right to your door or tell you when it has arrived at you PO.

So you can save time and the frustration of sitting on the phone listening to a PO message saying your call is important to us, whilst you wait for someone to answer at the other end.  Try it next time you have an overseas parcel.

Is it at Cape Mail?

I have a parcel at Cape Mail since 20 May and can't be shipped to my post office as they don't have ink cartridges to print the manifest.

They also can't tell when they will receive cartridges as there is no money

Avoid anything to do with the SA Post Office. A sinking Ship is likely to take your parcel with it!

Avoid anything to do with the SA Post Office. A sinking Ship is likely to take your parcel with it!

In most cases I agree, But at the beginning of the month I ordered a park tool bike stand from CRC and due to the size of the box DHL wanted over R1800 for postage. So I took a chance and to my suprise in just under 2 weeks I picked it up from my local PO. I think I should have played lotto because I hit it very lucky.