Trek announce Fuel EX with 27.5 Plus

News bot

Trek has expanded one of the world’s most popular trail bike lines with the introduction of the Fuel EX 27.5 Plus. The popularity of mid-fat tires has shown riders how a little extra tire volume can yield a lot more traction and a lot more fun. Now the benefits of wider tires are being combined with full-suspension capability in the all-new Fuel EX 27.5 Plus.

Click here to view the article

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/theamazingworldofgumball/images/d/de/StormScreen9Bigeyes.png/revision/latest?cb=20130528122956

Or, buy a set of AM Classic Wide Lightening wheels, just about giving you Plus width tyres - for under R10k.

All fine and well blaming the useless Rand; but bike companies are busy taking the ..ss , seriously these bikes cost more than motorbikes now. My mates in US are choking at new bike prices, they earn in $.

Paying 80k for XT equiped bike.

Good fun but my feeling is this can never be your one and only bike. If you buy a mid range ali version it will weigh a tonne. Put on decent strong tyres - if they ever become available - and it will weigh a tonne more. Don't do that and you are far more at risk of side wall tears that a tube and sealant wont fix. 

Rather run wide rims and 2.4 tyres on a normal bike. I'll change my mind when DH and enduro racers start running plus size... 

Edited by Headshot

Good fun but my feeling is this can never be your one and only bike. If you buy a mid range ali version it will weigh a tonne. Put on decent strong tyres - if they ever become available - and it will weigh a tonne more. Don't do that and you are far more at risk of side wall tears that a tube and sealant wont fix. 

Rather run wide rims and 2.4 tyres on a normal bike. I'll change my mind when DH and enduro racers start running plus size... 

Never going to happen. Maybe only as a publicity stunt.

There's talk that the best compromise might be 2.5" (or thereabouts) tyres on wide (30-40mm internal width) rims.

Maxxis is already making wide rim specific tyres.

I think 27.5 plus will be great for the Kzn coastal guys who ride and train in the sandy trails of local plantations and sugar cane fields. Reckon it would handle wet beach sand at low tide quite well too.

Gonna get horribly heavy in mud....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

As soon as the rubber on my new bike goes, I'm fitting some 2.4's on to see what all this wider blah-blah is about. Have 30mm rims now, but with the stock OEM 2.3's on atm.

As for 27.5+?  If I wanted a bouncy castle I'd phone a kids party planner.