Bike for local trail rides... Giant Trance/AnthemSX

SeanGrey

Hey Guys

Gone over the whole Trance/Anthem thing way too many times. Ride on local trails around Southern Suburbs, Cape Town. Table Mountain and hopefully if Tokai opens this year there too. I'm still learning but like riding single track, more aggressive time of style and like speed. Would like to start riding out near Stellenbosch and other trails in the Western Cape. 

Riding a hardtail 1999 old school Trek at the moment and looking at either the Trance 27.5 2 or the Anthem 27.5 SX. The price of both seems to be in the same bracket. I'm pretty convinced the Trance is what I want. Have not test ridden either but will in the near future. 

My Question: The type of trails in the Southern Suburbs, Western Cape and surroundings from what i have ridden to the clips I watch on Youtube seem to be more XC type flowing single track, jeep tracks, small jumps if any. Would the Anthem not be more suited to the trails around here than the Trance? I don't race but would like to do some of the more chilled out ones in future for fun. Want to do the Argus but will buy a cheaper road bike for that when the time comes. Besides a short ride to the gym or shops this bike will be used mostly off-road on trails. 

Excited to learn how to wheelie, manual, jump a bit, small drop off's, bunny hop those things in riding I find more exciting then shooting up a hill to beat a record. Saying that I don't like a massive heavy bike that feels like a tank on the up's either but from what I have read the Trance is good up hill too. 

Any feedback based on the local trails. Trying not to convince myself I need more bike than I do. I'm one that watches a few Redbull Rampage clips and ends up riding a DH bike to gym on road haha 

Thanks guys 

I think you are watching the wrong videos on Youtube.

Anthem Sx is nice for the XC guy who likes to do the occasional trail but is still very much XC geo. I would not like to jump or drop off anything on it.

Weights will be about the same.

For WC trails, I'd take a Trance any day of the week. Probably the most all round bike out there. 

Edited by Brawler

Sounds like the Anthem SX is for you.

I rode a Trance with 160 Pike up front and Monarch plus rear ...loved it but for the last 3 months am riding a Anthem X 29 er and it is a suprisingly capable XC machine on the downhills and technical stuff and I am very happy ... The SX will be even more capable and allow you to take bigger jumps than the Anthem X... You wont go wrong with either the Anthem X or SX however based on your preferences SX may be your best bet rather than a Trance.

Sounds like the Anthem SX is for you.

I rode a Trance with 160 Pike up front and Monarch plus rear ...loved it but for the last 3 months am riding a Anthem X 29 er and it is a suprisingly capable XC machine on the downhills and technical stuff and I am very happy ... The SX will be even more capable and allow you to take bigger jumps than the Anthem X... You wont go wrong with either the Anthem X or SX however based on your preferences SX may be your best bet rather than a Trance.

Trance is an XC capable trail shredder, that will have enough in reserve to save you should things go wrong when you run out of skill. 

Anthem SX is an XC on roids. Will be better suited to flowy trails for sure, but will battle to stay with the trance when it comes to technical stuff, and you'll need to be more skilled to have the same speed as it gets more technical, due to the steeper head angle and lower travel.

I had a bike similar to the Anthem SX (it was a bmc four stroke with 120 fork) and now I ride a trance2. There is no chance the Anthem SX will be close to the Trance when it comes to trail shredding.

I did the 68km Darling Brew race on the Trance today, choosing to leave a much lighter hardtail at home, and it was a jol even though the Trance is heavier.

Bru, if you want to push the envelope, the Anthem SX will run out of talent quickly.

Ps: I used to live in Cape town, so I know of the trails there, you'll love riding the Trance at speed over rocky trails.

Awesome trance 2 it is! Thanks very much for all the replies. Without this info it made it a hard choice. Would rather have a bike that's slightly heavier but more fun to ride and will help me improve better with my skill level I'm sure. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk