We're excited to launch the first episode of our online video series Contego Segment Hunter. The first segment in the series is Bloemslang - Just the Drop at Bloemendal Wine Estate. After consulting with the team and local riders, Gert Heyns was selected a worthy challenger to Louis Bresler-Knipe's King of the Mountain. Watch the video below to see if Gert takes the KOM.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great video. loved the aerial shots. Awesome trail which invites loads of speed but doesn't forgive mistakes.

brilliant riding!

Edited by MTBeer

As much as I love this initiative I have to point out that the rules should be obeyed or it must be made clear that they had special permission to do things differently.

The club rules state that NO ONE is allowed to ride on the cement road.

Yet there is a clear shot of Gert riding down the cement road at 1:29.

This can be an indication to others that it is ok to do that, and it was stated to the membesr that if anyone uses that road access to the trail will be revoked.

You can see this segment on club site: 

You start of with a bit of flat and very tame single track till you hit an intersection which crosses the Telkom concrete access road. Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road where you will see the start of the infamous Trail X aka Bloemendaaler aka Bloemslang. URL:www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/bloemendal-trailpark.html

Edit:  Changed the bold sections to make it easier for the Hubbers to see what I wrote and what is on the club site.

As much as I love this initiative I have to point out that the rules should be obeyed or it must be made clear that they had special permission to do things differently.

This can be an indication to others that it is ok to do that, and it was stated to the membesr that if anyone uses that road access to the trail will be revoked.

You can see this segment on club site: You start of with a bit of flat and very tame single track till you hit an intersection which crosses the Telkom concrete access road. Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road where you will see the start of the infamous Trail X aka Bloemendaaler aka Bloemslang. URL:www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/bloemendal-trailpark.html

*Grabs popcorn*

Not everyone can be expected to read every bit of detail on the website and the trail marker does not say anything about portage...I know of nobody (except now you) who has ever walked across that road :P

Edited by Thermophage

Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road 

I agree with the gist of the rest of your post - but seriously....

Walk across the road not ride? Are they worried the cyclists are going to damage the concrete road?

Edited by Skubarra

Skubarra please note that I did NOT write with the part about walking. I copied it from the club site. As it says in my post "you can see this on the club site"

Please read it properly before attacking my intent.

I am pointing out what the club rules are and where you can see the rule.

ThermoPhage: when the trail was released there was explicit mention of NOT riding on the road etc. Also on the Facebook page and in more than 2 newsletters. Please read my post properly/

You can see this segment on club site: You start of with a bit of flat and very tame single track till you hit an intersection which crosses the Telkom concrete access road. Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road where you will see the start of the infamous Trail X aka Bloemendaaler aka Bloemslang. URL:www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/bloemendal-trailpark.html

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Coenie Thomas.

We did our utmost to comply with all trail rules and made every effort to promote trail advocacy in the video and article.

We were granted special privileges by the landowners and club to allow filming possible but the intention was to always keep the video true to the rules of the trail.

We acknowledge our oversight in terms of the rules regarding the road and will make even more effort to comply with all rules when filming for future episodes.

We are privileged to have access to some of the best trails on private land and would like to keep it that way.

Skubarra please note that I did NOT write with the part about walking. I copied it from the club site. As it says in my post "you can see this on the club site"

Please read it properly before attacking my intent.

I am pointing out what the club rules are and where you can see the rule.

ThermoPhage: when the trail was released there was explicit mention of NOT riding on the road etc. Also on the Facebook page and in more than 2 newsletters. Please read my post properly/

I did read your post properly thanks. How long ago was the trail opened, 2 year, more? So you expect people to go troll through that many facebook posts and old newsletter or visit every link on the club's website?

Put a small sign saying compulsory and people will comply otherwise most will not even know.

There is a sign also as far as I can remember.

Why not be thankful that it was now made clear again what the rules are and that we run a slightly lesser chance of someone causing us to loose access to that trail.

Please direct your suggestions to the club.

Eish. I stand corrected. Did not know about that pedantric rule...

Ok I will walk across the road like a good boy...

Eish. I stand corrected. Did not know about that pedantric rule...

Ok I will walk across the road like a good boy...

I think pedantic is an understatement...

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Coenie Thomas.

We did our utmost to comply with all trail rules and made every effort to promote trail advocacy in the video and article.

We were granted special privileges by the landowners and club to allow filming possible but the intention was to always keep the video true to the rules of the trail.

We acknowledge our oversight in terms of the rules regarding the road and will make even more effort to comply with all rules when filming for future episodes.

We are privileged to have access to some of the best trails on private land and would like to keep it that way.

Fantastic response. A bit of humility on a Monday <3 Cool video to boot