Sram Red OG-1090

1hill@aTime

Hi all

would anyone know if I can change out my SRAM Red Cassette to something different, recently my chain has been popping off the big chain ring, so I am guessing it's due to chain wear,

I have put plenty on this groupset so i'm assuming it's time to change, does it have to be the same cassette? obviously if I change cassette chain will have to change as well.

Just thinking of another option, weight is not much an issue anymore.

Thanks.

Any Shimano or SRAM 10 speed cassette will work.

I have a SRAM red drive train, but one of my wheelsets uses a SRAM red cassette and the other set uses a Shimano Ultegra.

That's awesome to know, will be a lot cheaper as well. may change to a 11/26 now that the years are creeping up :D

If it is popping off the big ring it is more likely that the ring needs changing.  This happens especially with a compact 50t.  If you put on a new chain and it slips on your most worn cogs on the cassette then the cassette needs replacement.

I have a 53, if it is the chain ring I'll change it, think I may go the oval route see if it actually works, or a myth.

I have a 53, if it is the chain ring I'll change it, think I may go the oval route see if it actually works, or a myth.

This is all up to personal preference. Some people swear by it - I have tried it and felt no difference. 

Thanks for the replies, bike is in waiting the outcome, if I change will probably change to Ultegra.

Oval can also have its problems.  The gap between the FD and ring changes as the ring rotates so you can get chain drops.

Oval can also have its problems.  The gap between the FD and ring changes as the ring rotates so you can get chain drops.

This is true and makes a lot of sense.

if it's not worn I won't be replacing, waiting patiently for that dreaded call.

bike back and looks good, replaced Chain and Cassette with Ultegra, also replaced small front chain ring, they say my big blade also worn, this I will source myself and change, I do not see how the small blade can be worn when I am hardly ever in it, hence the reason I never replaced the big.

so looking at changing the big blade 53 any recommendations?