RIP Trans Karoo

Skubarra

Just got the mail...

It is with sadness that I compose what will probably be my last newsletter to you and regret that I must inform you that the Orange Anvil Trans Karoo event will be suspended until further notice due to us not having a substantial sponsorship base to assist us with the staging of what has been an exciting event.

Was one of my favourite events on the calendar, will miss this one! Despite not having big sponsors the 2016 version was excellently organised. Suffering up Ouberg, the cold & darkness of the Roggeberg plateau, the open spaces of the Tankwa Karoo - all life experiences that will stay with me!

At least I got to do it one last time this year! 

I did the first one and it was a memorable ride.

I spent the 40 km from the top of Ouberg pass to Sutherland alone in the dark with just a pool of light in front of me and in the zone.

I had gone out conservatively and was feeling good physically and was in a euphoric state.

Was planning on next year again

Was really sad to read this.

I did the race in 2014. LOVED IT. Could not enter again because life and all its drama interfered. Was hoping to enter next year again.

I did the first one and it was a memorable ride.

I spent the 40 km from the top of Ouberg pass to Sutherland alone in the dark with just a pool of light in front of me and in the zone.

I had gone out conservatively and was feeling good physically and was in a euphoric state.

Was planning on next year again

Mr too. I will always remember the last 40km. I remember it as the longest coldest 40km ever ridden. But in a strange way not tough. Wanted to go back and do it better.

Sign of the times guys,sign of the times. Things are getting tough in so many ways. Very unfortunate. Hope they manage to find a new title sponsor

The end of yet another big single stage event(that could be done as an solo rider)!

Sjoe what is left with regards to 200km+???

36One -361km

Nedbank Desert Dash -369km

Trans Baviaans(but this is not solo) -230km

What else if we just look at single stage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not entirely sure how I feel about this. A race run entirely on district road can be done on a shoe string. You can add lots of optional extras to make it a big deal, but that costs the $$$$.

If people really enjoyed it so much, then go do the route on a set date with backup. Trans tankwa twitter ride?

Not entirely sure how I feel about this. A race run entirely on district road can be done on a shoe string. You can add lots of optional extras to make it a big deal, but that costs the $$$$.

If people really enjoyed it so much, then go do the route on a set date with backup. Trans tankwa twitter ride?

I think finances are only part of it, the organisers do other races as well so in theory they should know what they are doing. 

It was the 5th event and there were less than 100 riders, and less than when I did it last time in 2014, so it was obvious the race was not growing and didn't have the kind of appeal of something like the 100 miler or Transbaviaans.

I thought they might give it another go next year because the downride was more popular but that was not to be..

Yes, if you really want to you can organise your own ride through the Tankwa (and many do), but for the average oke out there it is far less hassle to just enter an already organised event

I think finances are only part of it, the organisers do other races as well so in theory they should know what they are doing. 

It was the 5th event and there were less than 100 riders, and less than when I did it last time in 2014, so it was obvious the race was not growing and didn't have the kind of appeal of something like the 100 miler or Transbaviaans.

I thought they might give it another go next year because the downride was more popular but that was not to be..

Yes, if you really want to you can organise your own ride through the Tankwa (and many do), but for the average oke out there it is far less hassle to just enter an already organised event

Can understand that nvelty factor had worn off, thought this was more popular than that. (looked like entries were about 140 riders constant, then tailed off to about 90 this year)

Do they do other events, only other one on the webpage is also cancelled(enduroman)? Also AFAIK this event was started by someone else, so they just took it over for a year or two (could be wrong there)

http://www.enduroman.co.za/index_htm_files/10046@2x.png

Did it last year; and too be honest, I wouldn't have come back for another one.

There was zero vibe created at check in, pre race, during the race; it felt like a bunch of guys rocking up for a long ride; even at the finish where you picked up your gear; it was just a few people milling around getting their stuff and leaving.

Not sure if its because the other races that upped their game so much in what they offer, but for me it felt like half hearted effort to pull riders. 

Just my 10 cents.

The end of yet another big single stage event(that could be done as an solo rider)!

Sjoe what is left with regards to 200km+???

36One -361km

Nedbank Desert Dash -369km

Trans Baviaans(but this is not solo) -230km

What else if we just look at single stage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Homeward Bound (300km) Transdrak (200km+) in KZN admittedly a bit far but then I travelled for TK and the 361

Do they do other events, only other one on the webpage is also cancelled(enduroman)? Also AFAIK this event was started by someone else, so they just took it over for a year or two (could be wrong there)

AFAIK Pieter van Wyk who also do the Gravel Travel and Cederberg 100 Miler (and is/was involved with the Epic?) was Route Director, not sure what his relation is with Orange Anvil

Windpomp club or me, I did all 5. It was very sad to read that final newsletter but those of us who have been in Trans Karoo for a while sort of knew it was coming. It was more or less confirmed for me the morning of prize giving when I spoke to Pieter and I could see he knew this was the last one.

Nonetheless the Cederberg 100 miler is still taking place and to me that is a nice way to remember Trans Karoo by. Especially if you did the first TK downride and you recall that last stretch to Kaleo. 

From my side I did write to PPA to try and convince them to take up an endurance event and more specifically give Trans Karoo a try. Will see what comes of that.